My winter waterproof coat search is resolved

(24 Posts)
MaryShelley Wed 20-Nov-13 14:23:39

Not the merrell ellenwood / Wakefield - didn't like the fabric and comfort

Not the merrell Geraldine - this was a disaster as the sleeves were so long it drowned me and poor quality for the price. The internal pockets were lined in a different really cheap material. It looked unfinished. Didn't fit well at all

I have bought this from lands end it is very good quality with attention to detail. Very pleased. ( btw I would never where the blue lining layer on its own!)

MaryShelley Wed 20-Nov-13 18:51:43

I am sooooo boring I have killed my own thread. Result!

catellington Wed 20-Nov-13 18:55:41

The link goes to an 'oops ' page ! What coat did you get?

MaryShelley Wed 20-Nov-13 18:58:53

Women's down system commuter coat in the OUTLET section

www.landsend.co.uk/mProduct?pid=P_25083

Link works in preview so I'll try again!

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 20-Nov-13 19:33:53

Isn't it an old biddy coat? blush

Hellocleaveland Wed 20-Nov-13 19:42:03

I saw that and was all set to buy it, but was late for school pick up and by the time I settled down again with the ipad and a credit card it was only available in a size 10, which sadly I am not. I have read EVERY SINGLE waterproof winter coat related thread on this site, it has taken over my life. Being slightly chunky (14/16 with large chest) makes it even harder as anything too padded or not fitted will make me look like a pillow. I also find it hard to reconcile spending more than £100 on a coat. I'm now leaning towards the Regatta Luna Luv....

MaryShelley Wed 20-Nov-13 20:38:13

Hmm, old biddy? Well, yes the pale grey blue inner coat would be but I would never dream of wearing that in its own. The overall coat and the outer on its own is fairly inoffensively black. Very similar style to the merrell but better quality.

Hellocleaveland - I ordered mine on Monday and got the medium as I am a 14-16. Sure they had large too.

MaryShelley Wed 20-Nov-13 20:39:29

Oh, and I too have been obsessed with the perfect coat. I don't believe it exists but this is a compromise,

Has all the right credentials hood, waterproof, nipped in waist but looks like needs to be worn with 'slacks' grin bit old lady ish for me and I'm 40!!!

Treelander Wed 20-Nov-13 21:26:21

I am with you on the obsession MaryShelley! I was looking for a warm and waterproof winter coat and decided the North Face Arctic Parka was the ONE. (Had found it online myself then saw the myriad of posts on here about how good it was).

Unfortunately for my somewhat imperfect body I'm between two sizes in that coat sad so didn't buy it.

After hours of perusing online have now decided on the Marmot Chelsea, which looks almost as good as the Arctic Parka. Going to try one on tomorrow and will be gutted if it's not as good as it looks!

MaryShelley Wed 20-Nov-13 21:31:08

Oh God, am I too young for it?? I am soooooo confused!

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 20-Nov-13 21:33:09

Are you under 60?

BlinkQuenelle Wed 20-Nov-13 21:43:13

I have the Luna Luv in green. I luv it.

MaryShelley Wed 20-Nov-13 22:26:14

Yes blush (ever so slightly under the big 4 0)

But honestly, it will keep me warm and dry and if I remove the inner layer I can wear it on top of suit jacket for walking from car park into work and dropping kids off at school. It is smartish rather than a parka.

Shit.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 20-Nov-13 22:53:12

The whole waterproof thing is a nightmare!I do think that is an older style one (liner confirms for me).

But,that said,so many on here buy big padded quilted (and belted on top of that lot,sometimes with fur trimmed hood) things that I see on old biddies too,despite some thinking they are trendy/stylish!!!!

Just make sure you're happy and feel good,look in the mirror etc.What do others wear?

I've been searching for ages and think I'm just gonna wait until Christmas-ish (!) and treat myself to either a Barbour (possibly winter force) or a Helly Hansen Spitsbergen parka-if I can find the original rather than the yuck,boring,short version.

I hope I don't change my mind again!!!!!!!

MaryShelley Wed 20-Nov-13 23:01:49

I have a Barbour International wax jacket and ,love it. Look good in it. BUT NO HOOD!

(Definitely get one though)

My Barbour(s) have hoods?? I have black international waterproof/breathable parka, olive international waxed both have hoods and liberty print lined one with a hood? You're looking at tge wrong ones!! <disclaimer we have an outlet nearby hides two more> I dud only but two Merrell's though restrained

Oh dear at my dismal punctuation smile

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Thu 21-Nov-13 10:04:11

carrielou have you got links for the Barbours you have? I want a hooded one,currently looking at the winter force but open to others that have hoods!

PrimalLass Thu 21-Nov-13 10:12:08

I like that Regatta one. The hood looks so cosy.

Not keen on the Landsend one though, I do think it is a bit bleh for £100.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 21-Nov-13 10:18:04

It does look really frumpy on the model IMO!

Maybe it's better in real life?!

I've got the lands end shimmery parka, which is lovely and not at all shimmery. Not frumpy either!

Trip I can't do links (my age it's just gibberish when someone explains it!!) I have hawkstone waxed (almost git winter force!!) for winter, flyweight Sapper waxed for spring/autumn and the black parka was a second from outlet I think it was last summer it's a flyweight. Perfect for work over a suit. Also have cream hooded flyweight grace good spring/autumn and quiltted non-hooded international. Want article parka but bought Joules one at half the price instead. Itgwr good hooded waxed are Rebel, non waxed Outlaw if you take due off the hood and love winter force parka but I dudn't lIke fleece lining awkward me grin

In my defence at the spelling just had my 6th unsuccessful eye op and my phone hates me grin

rubyflipper Thu 21-Nov-13 10:24:29

I was just going to mention the Luna Luv. I have one in black and it's warm, waterproof, covers my bum and doesn't make me look like an old lady. Mine cost £65 (I think).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now