The winter colours thread part 2...

(1000 Posts)
QueenCadbury Tue 19-Nov-13 12:29:37

Are you a winter colouring? If so come and join us for chat about clothes/make up following on from here.

MissScatterbrain Tue 19-Nov-13 14:22:38

If you mean this in purple it looks magenta rather than purple. Great if its your best colour.

Puffle - re getting away from jeans and jumpers, I tend to wear cord/moleskin skirts with tights, boots and use brightly coloured layering tops. I also have a every day shift dress in black and wear brightly coloured long sleeved tops underneath. All were bought during the past few years from Gap, Boden and M&S.

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 14:24:21

50hoo stay away from the bronzer! I know you know this already - but the great thing about Winters is the striking contrasts between our hair, eyes and skin (how modest am I?) and bronzer/autumnal colours in general mutes this contrast right down and makes us look dull. I thought I had dull colouring for years (no warmth, very pale, dull brown hair etc.) so finding out I'm a winter and have the high contrast colouring of someone like Anne Hathaway in my best colours was a lovely shock!

MissScatterbrain Tue 19-Nov-13 14:25:30

50 - the cardigan should look great with one of the jewel colours.

bettybigballs Tue 19-Nov-13 14:27:11

Thanks scatterbrain, really appreciate it, it's hard getting the hang of this.

Interesting you ask that about the purple Pufflemum, i looked at it and closed it because i thought it was too bright for me to carry off. sigh this is going to take some getting used to!

I am loving the make-up side though, my hair is now a cooler brown rather than the warm brown i've been having for years and i'm slowly getting getting into the lipsticks with the aid of lots of clear gloss to tone things down a bit. Went out the first time with my HOC pink lippy on last week and had three compliments from friends saying how well i looked.

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 14:27:39

Betty I love that Whistles jumper. Isn't number 11 the electric blue, or am I remembering that wrong? It's not bright enough to be electric blue - you could try it but from what I know of Whistles blues they tend to be a bit dull for us. Still might be worth trying.

MissScatterbrain Tue 19-Nov-13 14:28:19

Echo what Eliz says about bronzer - as I said upthread, I went wrong by using tan blushers and warm foundations.

50hoo Tue 19-Nov-13 14:29:42

Elizabeth I think for me 'shock' is the right word! I promise to ditch the bronzer - it makes me look muddy. Does this look ok? Bought it at the weekend so hope so!

www.clarins.co.uk/Blush-Prodige-Illuminating-Cheek-Colour/C050107005,en_GB,pd.html

50hoo Tue 19-Nov-13 14:34:36

miss I think it's the contrast thing I'm struggling with. I'm trying to blend into the background grin

50hoo Tue 19-Nov-13 14:35:20

betty sounds like you have the make-up sorted! Great to be complimented!

bettybigballs Tue 19-Nov-13 14:40:45

50ho i was so surprised, i NEVER get compliments! smile

FaceDirectionOfTravel Tue 19-Nov-13 14:44:55

I have spent years in browns, corals,peaches...all wrong. Now that I've discovered pinky lipsticks and grey eyeshadow I finally understand why other women wear makeup. grin

50hoo Tue 19-Nov-13 14:50:36

Can I do grey eyeshadow with dark brown eyes face? I always stuck to browns and greens <autumn brainwashing at play>

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 14:50:45

50hoo I think you can work the high contrast look without standing out in a major way or looking 'bright' - think of the classic French look - someone like Audrey Tautou. Dark dark eyes and hair, pale beige skin, and dressed very subtly in navy, black, white and grey. It's still a high contrast, winter look.

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 14:52:04

I have dark brown eyes and wear charcoal and dark grey eye makeup (and black).

50hoo Tue 19-Nov-13 14:52:08

What a great idea Elizabeth I really like her look, will have a rethink thanks

bettybigballs Tue 19-Nov-13 14:53:52
50hoo Tue 19-Nov-13 14:55:41

betty yep, that sandy-cream really dominates and tones down the blue. If the collar were white it would be ok I think.

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 14:59:01

Yep betty, the collar is almost warm beige, one of our worst colours. Tis lovely though. I get so annoyed with how the default accent/nude colour on most clothes tends to be cream and never white!

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 15:03:09

(Thread #2 has got off to a flying start grin)

MissScatterbrain Tue 19-Nov-13 15:04:17
MissScatterbrain Tue 19-Nov-13 15:08:57

Eliz - I was just thinking that too grin

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 15:13:18

Perfect make up examples MissS, good work!

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 15:16:09

Do you know what? I'm slightly jealous that there are no HOC consultants on MN who are Winters who can join in with our thread. They would tell us when we are being wrong! The autumns and summers have Travellin and Hopefully smile

ElizabethBathory Tue 19-Nov-13 16:17:03

50hoo re. your new Clarins blush, your link doesn't show us which colour you bought.

50hoo Tue 19-Nov-13 16:26:21

I bought 'lovely rose' the fairest one. It's a barely there colour, my pigmentation makes me a bit muddy looking so I usually avoid blusher but I've binned my bronzer now grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.