The winter colours thread part 2...

(1000 Posts)
QueenCadbury Tue 19-Nov-13 12:29:37

Are you a winter colouring? If so come and join us for chat about clothes/make up following on from here.

GingerLemonTea Sat 30-Nov-13 23:01:27

Bump so I can read.

carrie74 Sun 01-Dec-13 08:52:58

Thanks for all the lippy advice, have been discussing it with anyone who'll listen this weekend grin. Definitely going for more of a stain rather than full on pout now.

Tried on this
sparkly top yesterday (had been eyeing up all week in the Black Friday deals, as wanted something for Xmas meal and Xmas day). I was naturally drawn to the blue, but wanted to see the difference in how the gold looked on me. Well, I definitely saw it: the gold drained my face of colour, the blue reflected colour into my face (not blue though grin, the right colours).

But I am being really drawn to blacks (which I've avoided for YEARS), greys and navies and cobalts, and could see myself staying in a bit of a rut of these actually...

Specialbrew Sun 01-Dec-13 09:11:38

I posted here ages ago, but haven't really bought many clothes since. I did buy a navy pea coat from uniqlo a few weeks back. I thought it was perfect, but with only a 30% wool content it has bobbled like mad and already looks really shabby.

So I looked around and found this. I don't normally go into Hobbs, but I tried it on and really liked it, so I'm getting it for Christmas. I think it's slightly longer than a traditional pea coat, but it has a good 'in and out' shape, which is good for my hour glass figure

I find I'm drawn to navy much more than black as I get older. I do still wear the occasion black top or dress, but I'd say my most bought neutral is navy now. This makes me feel really old, as I've always thought as navy as an old lady colour. And now I am fulfilling my own stereotype!

MickleMe Sun 01-Dec-13 14:55:25

I'm back from my colour consultation and i'm a Jewel Winter grin

Now going to re-read the whole thread

ElizabethBathory Sun 01-Dec-13 15:23:12

Welcome Mickle! Don't forget about the 1000 post long older thread either grin

I forgot to come back and update - I bought the Bobbi Brown pot rouge in Pale Pink and it's lovely. I'd call it a medium pink rather than pale, and it's very natural looking and cool-toned. You can build it up to be brighter or subtler depending on mood. It's a bit too pale for a lipstick really but gives my lips enough colour to not look dead when I'm too lazy for lippie.

MickleMe Sun 01-Dec-13 15:41:21

Thanks Elizabeth, I didn't think to look at the old thread. Very excited and even don't mind the very bright lipsticks grin

carrie74 Sun 01-Dec-13 17:36:29

Me too mickleme. I've found it all quite exciting, really. grin

bertandmarble Sun 01-Dec-13 21:29:51

Hey mickle, I'm a jewel winter too. I love it!

ElizabethBathory Mon 02-Dec-13 13:56:23

Just been to Topshop to pick up some jumpers. The purple lace back one is very meh - shapeless, didn't feel great quality and the colour's muted and dull. But the charcoal one recommended by Betty is gorgeous (and currently 20% off). Lovely slouchy shape, very soft, and the mesh is soft too (was worried it might be stiff mesh). Keeping smile

FaceDirectionOfTravel Wed 04-Dec-13 11:35:57

Picked up some cheap jersey long sleeved tops in Primark yesterday - bright blue, mid grey and bright pink. £3.50 each shock <don't think about sweatshops>

Today wearing blue top over midi grey jersey dress with black tights (fleece lined tights also from Primark, soooo warm). The blue just looks good on me! Am still amazed by this. Am wearing it with burgundy HoC lipstick which I toned down a bit by wiping it off and putting lip balm over the top.

KosherBacon Wed 04-Dec-13 13:07:39

Sounds a great outfit, Face. Can I warn you not to put the primark tops in the tumbler? DH has done this with mine and shrunk a couple. How many times do I have to say "don't put ANY of my tops in the tume dryer"!?!?

I'm on a shopping hiatus at the moment. Desperately trying to lose more weight (aren't we all?). I want quality over quantity and want to be back as at least a 12/14 rather than a 16, so can't shop.

I'm still enjoying the accessories/ makeup chat though!

MissScatterbrain Wed 04-Dec-13 17:54:26

YY to Primark tops being a good way of adding winter colours cheaply and I use these as layers under dresses and jumpers (these are long enough to show under jumpers that end at the waist). Wore damson tights today which made a great change from black.

Gap have a 30% sale in store - lots of gorgeous jumpers including cashmere in bright pink, grey and black. Restrained myself though as I have everything I need for the moment....

Specialbrew Wed 04-Dec-13 18:48:48

Very envy of those of you who can do layers. I am so short they always look look a bit wrong on me. Colours sound great though. I am a jewel winter too (diagnosed many years ago). I did go through a 'rebellious' phase with my colours as I'd been wearing the jewel tone ones for so long. I tried the ice colours this summer and really liked them -pale grey or ice pink chinos, and ice lavender or white shirts and t-shirts. It made a nice change

Hobbs Pea coat came and I love it. Although there doesn't seem to be much love for Hobbs on some of the other S&B threads!

No more purchases for me, may be not even in the January sales. I think my wardrobe is pretty well stocked at the moment.

It's lovely to see all the Winter links though

FaceDirectionOfTravel Wed 04-Dec-13 20:07:44

I don't tumble dry clothes, really, because I never know what will get wrecked, although my husband does tend to 'help' with the laundry sometimes despite me pleading with him not to. hmm

I have my style day on Monday! Eeek! Excited.

Tomorrow I think I'll wear a black dress and grey top. Bit dull but might put a scarf on to brighten it up. I quite like looking like I'm going to work even when I'm just skilling about in the kitchen all day.

QueenCadbury Wed 04-Dec-13 20:12:58

Hello all. I've been a bit naughty and have bought a couple of things-cardis and a blouse with all the discount codes that were flying around. I'll link when I've got them as they'll probably go back anyway!

I've got my style day on Saturday!

FaceDirectionOfTravel Thu 05-Dec-13 11:25:13

Okay, today I am wearing a black jersey midi dress (£5 from Tesco) with a pink jersey top over (£3.50 Primark), and the lobelia jersey cardigan (£3.50o charity shop) and grey tights (wish I had a different colour). And pink glittery hair clips. Vivid and bright, a bit in your face.

And my daughter looked at me this morning and said matter-of-factly, 'Mummy looks pretty.' <sheds a tear>

This has had such an impact on me, emotionally. I spent so long feeling like I had to wear 'safe' colours, that were a bit muted, a bit washed out, and a bit invisible, and feeling like that was the only way to look good was to not really stand out. AND I could never really tell when people looked at me or my outfit whether they thought I looked good or weird (because I was getting the colours wrong). AND I thought paying too much attention to the way I looked was vain so avoided all this for years.

But now I am wearing clothes that show me off. I am wearing bright colours that can't be avoided, and shapes that show off my body (a bit) and this is actually SAFER than wearing clothes that hide me. Safer because they will more reliably make me look good. And this feels important because it means it is safe to be me. It is safe to have an identity that is unique and visible and stands out, because that is just me.

I hope that doesn't sound too deep, but it has really affected me very deeply. I keep thinking about loads of stuff to do with womanhood, motherhood, beauty, caring for myself and the family, why caring for myself suddenly means trying to be pretty, and why even though I tried not to care about that for so long it was really because I thought I never could be pretty and I placed so much value on my career...on and on. Some of this stuff comes naturally to people but it REALLY doesn't to me, so this is a huge thing that it taking its time to work itself out. I won't bore you any more. Thank you for listening. flowers

KosherBacon Thu 05-Dec-13 11:42:56

Face- that's wonderful to hear! You should tell your consultant about what a difference she has made!

ElizabethBathory Thu 05-Dec-13 11:55:40

Face that's wonderful and a lovely post to read thanks

In less interesting news, I bought this jumper in bright red and love it. I'm very pleased to have found something very bright that's going to go with loads of my black and navy and grey stuff. Most of the stuff in my wardrobe is dark (forest green, damson, aubergine) so it's nice to have something cheerier that suits me!

Queen have a great time on saturday smile

QueenCadbury Thu 05-Dec-13 13:27:04

face I echo the other two, it's wonderful. And kids are great because when they compliment you you know they mean it.

I ordered a l'wren Scott sequin cardi from banana republic this morning. I can't link as it's sold out. I've been patiently waiting for today as the release date since I saw it in a magazine about a month ago. I had my iPad next to me in bed so that I could wake up and order as I knew it would be popular. Ds woke me up at 4 and so I did it then. Thank goodness I did as someone on another thread tried to order one at 6 and they'd sold out. I'm very happy grin.

Does anyone have a red woollen scarf? I've been looking for one but can't find the right shade.

QueenCadbury Thu 05-Dec-13 13:28:33

this is the l'wren Scott stuff. If anyone's tempted by anything I've got a one use only 20% off code....

ElizabethBathory Thu 05-Dec-13 14:08:32

Queen I have bright red woollen scarf I got from a Hobbs outlet store last year. I think it's this one, but I'm not sure about the seller's colour description 'grape dark crimson' doesn't make much sense to me, so if you're interested I'd contact the seller first. The colour is true red, the second and fourth pictures are closest. It's very big and cosy.

KosherBacon Thu 05-Dec-13 19:30:37

I saw the L'Wren Scott stuff and thought it was perfect for us winters! Glad you got something QC.

NigellasGuest Thu 05-Dec-13 19:51:05

I like the "lips" skirt - a bit quirky!

QueenCadbury Fri 06-Dec-13 13:25:01

Thanks elizabeth. I tend to steer clear of eBay though after getting stung the one and only time I used it!

Just checking that those in the SW definitely can't make the style day in Exeter tomorrow. It's just me and I'd love to have someone else!

NigellasGuest Fri 06-Dec-13 14:07:26

I'm nowhere near the SW but if you are are really recommend the style day. I had one in September and it was the best thing I've done for a very, very long time.

This thread is not accepting new messages.