What new purse? £250 budget

(77 Posts)
littlepinkpear Sat 16-Nov-13 14:11:49

I've been saving for a new purse, was thinking of a mulberry one but really don't fancy it now.

What good alternatives could I look at? Just needs to be black or brown leather and be a good size to hold cards and money grin

KatoPotato Mon 18-Nov-13 12:24:22

My Sister has only just had a successful refund for her Smythson purse that quite literally fell apart after 6 months. The zips came straight off, and the customer services team were rather rude and unhelpful!

I buy designer labels because I like them, can afford them and there is less chance that someone is being exploited or abused to make the products. No no chance, but less.

I'm quite sure the OP can and does make her own choices re. charitable giving.

Floisme Mon 18-Nov-13 12:36:19

If something expensive gives you pleasure and you have the money, that's ok by me. What irritates me is the suggestion that there is something morally superior about buying mega expensive products. I am no expert on fashion ethics but I really don't think the facts support this argument. The only people who can afford to be judgey are people who spend more in order to buy from expressly ethical traders. I think the rest of us (and that includes me) should be very careful about invoking the ethics argument.

GinOnTwoWheels Mon 18-Nov-13 12:36:27

I got an Osprey purse from my mum for my 40th birthday. It is very well made and I'm hoping it will last for many years. Cost wise, I think it is a good compromise between massively expensive brands like Mulberry and cheapy disposable Primark crap.

Amazon have a good selection here or you can get them in their own (outlet?) shops or places like Debenhams.

Perhaps not, but there is certainly nothing morally superior about buying from Primark

Annianni Mon 18-Nov-13 12:42:15

I thought the op asked for purse suggestions, with a budget of up to £250.

Not... Am I an evil, shallow, heartless person for spending MY OWN FUCKING MONEY ON A NICE THING THAT I WILL PROBABLY USE EVERY SINGLE DAY...

Ffs... This is S&B, not the giving to charity section, or competitive miserly-ness.

Op, I have a humongous Prada one that is looking a bit shabby now, but I've had it for about 5 years.
I had a smaller Prada one before then, that lasted years too.

Floisme Mon 18-Nov-13 12:43:16

I agree with you there, Amber smile.
Mind you, even Primark redeemed themselves in a small way (at least in my eyes) after the Rana Plaza fire as they accepted responsibility and paid compensation straight away. I understand that other, so called higher end companies are still denying liability which means that families haven't received a penny. Fashion ethics are such a mess that you really don't know who you can trust.

curlew Mon 18-Nov-13 12:43:37

I wasn't t thinking about this from a moral or ethical point of view- but I have to say that the is no evidence at all that there is less chance of the bottom of the pile being treated better by designer companies.

There is just more profit for the middle and the top of the pile.

curlew Mon 18-Nov-13 12:45:58

I was just thinking in terms of all the lovely other things I could buy if I had £250 in my very lovely red leather 20 quid purse from TKMaxx!

Floisme Mon 18-Nov-13 12:54:37

I think that, if something doesn't push your pleasure buttons, it can be hard to understand what other people see in it. Personally, I don't get handbags and purses at all - I can't tell the difference between a Mulberry and a bit of tat from Oldham market. But if I had the money, I don't think there's any limit to what I would pay for a nice frock smile
And I have very high end taste in chocolate .

okthen Mon 18-Nov-13 13:03:30

Apols for slightly derailing thread, op!

Hope you find a lovely purse.

HelloBoys Mon 18-Nov-13 13:57:31

Before I took any notice of logos etc I had NO IDEA (really) what the logos meant, I was a teenager at a posh school and when the other girls bought in their Gucci stuff all I thought was - oh the belt (with the sort of horsey clasp thing in S shape) and "oh my nana's got a bag with that on" (the stripes, logo etc). My nana had a gorgeous Chanel quilted handbag which left to me (rarely wear, not my style) but I just thought it was naice. eg the gold chain strap etc.

I remember a colleague of mine years ago with a Mulberry or something purse (she wasn't allowed to spend money on much else by her scrooge DH) and I was "oh that's nice" but I had no idea about cost/prestige etc.

A friend went to Turkey last year came back with tons of knockoffs honestly you can't tell the difference not that I'd buy them anyway.

anyway horses for courses OP could and will buy what she likes.

rwepi Mon 18-Nov-13 14:24:52

OMG - this has made my decision anyway.

I've been thinking of treating myself to a leather purse I love (and can afford) but was struggling to justify the £30. I shall enjoy it as a bargain now! Thank you.

That Longchamp one is lovely!

For anyone whining on about charitable giving clearly you don't know we don't talk about that on S and B.

It's the one place on Mumsnet you can like posho stuff without someone saying give it to a food bank you cunt.

Laurie if I could 'like' your post, I would.

curlew Mon 18-Nov-13 14:56:25

"For anyone whining on about charitable giving......"

Nobody did!

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Mon 18-Nov-13 15:06:39

Personally I wouldn't buy one purse but about ten Shagwear purses and rotate them grin

Robfordscrack I have the MBMJ too hot to handle mini shopper mouthfull the hardware still looks perfect, as does the leather, and it has not been treated with the most care.

Eastpoint Mon 18-Nov-13 15:49:51

I had a Smythson one and I returned it after about 3 months as something went wrong with the fastener. I can't remember what as it was ages ago but they refunded me. They may be better quality now (this was when they first became trendy again).

I have an Anya Hindmarch purse which I bought in a sale, good and easy to use. I also have a Louis Vuitton long purse which is my favourite, it has 8 credit card sections, a central zip for change and other pockets. Its a bit big for going out in the evening, which is why I have the Anya Hindmarch one too. You can usually get the Anya Hindmarch ones on the Outnet or in their sale, mine is black rather than red as shown below.

Anya hindmarch

HelloBoys Mon 18-Nov-13 15:56:52

Eastpoint - wish I'd returned the Miu Miu ones - I had a patent leather and non patent leather one approx £150 each and BOTH fasteners (zips) the tags at ends broke. rendered me not being able to zip the purses.

was really pissed off but didn't think to return. had had one about a year and other less than a year but more than 6 months I think. both from Selfridges too so should have returned. rest like I say the Mulbs ones were both fine.

Annianni Mon 18-Nov-13 15:56:58

There was a comment on the first page about charitable giving as per usual

Love Lauries comment too.

KatoPotato Mon 18-Nov-13 15:56:59

Eastpoint I mentioned upthread that my Sister's Smythson fell to bits after a few months too!

HalleLouja Mon 18-Nov-13 16:26:52

A fan of Osprey outlet right next to my house and got a lovely purse to replace the one I lost and loved for £39. I thought I was spending a lot then. I think I must be tight but like good quality. Their stuff is really lovely.

MrsBramleyApple Mon 18-Nov-13 16:41:26

My Primark purses last for ages! I cant see the point in spending a fortune on something that is going to spend 90% of its time not being seen in your handbag.............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now