What new purse? £250 budget

(77 Posts)
littlepinkpear Sat 16-Nov-13 14:11:49

I've been saving for a new purse, was thinking of a mulberry one but really don't fancy it now.

What good alternatives could I look at? Just needs to be black or brown leather and be a good size to hold cards and money grin

santamarianovella Sun 17-Nov-13 16:20:19

I have an LV one that I had for many years no scratches or tarnished hardware,,dd even used it as a teether!, and it still looks good.

Wuldric Sun 17-Nov-13 16:28:34

Mulberry purses are completely rubbish now. Ten years ago they were fab and I had a gorgeous one. It lasted ten years and I tried to find a replacement. I bought another Mulberry one, more out of sentiment than anything else. Six months on it looks manky and rubbish. Smythson is the way forward.

HelloBoys Sun 17-Nov-13 21:27:17

OP - what I will say is if you get one with a tab pull then double check them to see how tough they are/will fall apart etc.

My 2 Miu Miu purses (bought about 10 years ago) were both FINE apart from the pulls - which broke after about a year, not much I could do about it, hadn't used them a lot etc but was seriously pissed off as both were leather and both purses were fine apart from the pull at the end which I think broke/split/rendered purse unusable. couldn't be arsed to find out if they could be fixed. My Mulberry purse was 10 years old or more and the other about 5 years old one stolen was 5 years old and both pulls etc were fine, strangely enough. It may be the stitching round the pulls.

In fact I know this is a faff but I'd consider buying separate credit card holders AND coin purses nowadays so to avoid wear and tear on zip pulls if that makes sense.

BTW - 2nd Liberty. My BIL's wife loves them. also check out designer sales (BrandAlley etc) and in future if they have them (I've been to some) designer sales in buildings - e.g. Orla Kieley. got fab bargains there a few years back, leather too but 1 was gift for my mum.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Nov-13 21:49:27

Anya Hindmarch. Terrific quality , had mine for years .

ShreddedHoops Sun 17-Nov-13 21:56:36

Bottega Veneta? Or Miu Miu. Love the texture both brands use. TK Maxx had a load of BV accessories in shock

HelloBoys Sun 17-Nov-13 22:01:05

Shredded - unless Miu Miu have sorted out their zip pull issue (see post above) I'd avoid like plague. really pissed me off.

thanks for the TK Maxx headsup (checks credit cards pulse).

morethanpotatoprints Sun 17-Nov-13 22:02:51

I'd get one from Primark and then i'd still have money to put in the purse grin

Decameron Sun 17-Nov-13 22:21:00

I second DKNY, mine is a couple of years old and as new, also have a Prada from an outlet, years old and only a little worn. I bought a Diane von Furstenberg one from Cocosa recently, about £80 and seems well made.

Robfordscrack Sun 17-Nov-13 22:22:51

littlepinkbear which marc by marc Jacobs bag did you have? I am considering buying one, but might not if the quality is bad.

Doghouseisscary Sun 17-Nov-13 22:25:10

I use DDs Hello Kitty purse because I've lost mine.

backs away from another-universe-altogether-thread

curlew Sun 17-Nov-13 22:26:18

Please can someone explain to me why you would spend £250 on a purse? When there's theatre tickets, wine, chocolate,books,pens, smoked salmon, phones, days out, free standing mixers, crystal glasses, cashmere jumpers, Celtic sheepskin socks, writing paper and vanilla pods in the world?

Sandiacre Sun 17-Nov-13 22:28:43

I bought my dsis a purse in TK Maxx it was originally 80, lovely leather but it was only 19.99.

muminthecity Sun 17-Nov-13 22:30:57

Fucking hell, £250! That's more than my entire Christmas budget! Still, no reason not to spend that on a purse if you can so ignore me and my seething jealousy grin

Seeing as you're not so keen on your Mulberry bags anymore, I will adopt them for you as a special favour. I'll Pm you my address. wink

CelticPromise Sun 17-Nov-13 22:36:02

Find someone on Folksy who does leather Work and have one made to your spec for much less than£250?

HelloBoys Mon 18-Nov-13 10:12:00

curlew - if you have the money or something gives them to you as a present (1 of Mulberry and 1 of Miu Miu were presents from boyfriend at time) then why not?

curlew Mon 18-Nov-13 11:08:10

No reason I suppose- just seems such a waste!

HelloBoys Mon 18-Nov-13 11:22:09

curlew - have to say I don't buy these types of purses now. I can afford them but after mugging etc prefer cheaper bags for day and purses.

and it's not really me anymore to have designer stuff when it could go on nicer stuff or more meaningful stuff.

My SIL is like you - no need or want for designer stuff yet her SIL is on her 2nd Mulberry handbag, a Christian Dior one etc and scours Liberty for the latest must have. all power to her. smile

isitme1 Mon 18-Nov-13 11:38:53

I bought a purse from primark a few years ago which I still use today.
Perfect condition

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 18-Nov-13 11:38:59

I bought a new purse a couple of months ago, from TKMaxx. It is identical to that Longchamp one in style/layout of inside etc. It is all leather.

It cost me £10, which meant there was £90 left over from my budget to spend on other things!

It has to be The Bridge. The leather is the best quality and will last years.

The Bridge is an Italian brand available in a few online stores here. I have a gorgeous purse which I brought abroad, made by them.

okthen Mon 18-Nov-13 12:02:06

For those being sniffy about spending loads of money on a purse, perhaps it might be worth swinging your judgey-pants towards the cheaper retailers, and how ethically (or not) a cheap purse is likely to have been made?

Just saying.

Floisme Mon 18-Nov-13 12:22:25

That's a fair point about the ethics of cheap, disposable fashion, however it doesn't always follow that expensive brands are any better. From what I can gather, supply chains are so convoluted that, unless you buy from a recognised ethical trader, it's very difficult to know for sure. And do people really buy designer labels because they're more ethical. I mean really?

Yes, I'd much rather have something made in a sweatshop and feel superior toward those who prefer to spend their money on high end goods. Oh, wait....

www.dec.org.uk/ is a great investment piece.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now