Which coat?

(63 Posts)
TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Thu 14-Nov-13 16:43:57

Generally hate parkas but quite like these (although still not decided on whether to continue a desperate search for something more feminine!)

I like waxed jackets so that one tempts me but can't decide!

Would probably go for storm grey although the normal one looks nice in khaki!

What are Mint Velvet like?

HelloBoys Fri 15-Nov-13 09:50:40

I just baulk at paying for something like that (Mint Velvet) which isn't waterproof and I KNOW (I saw) the similar Whistles ones in local department store were marked down about a week ago.

You should shop around or find voucher codes. It's your money but where I work (Wimbledon but have Kingston or West End) I KNOW there'll be sales on etc and stock even of winter coats is not moving. Mango, Top Shop coats in local dept store all still there in all sizes. grin

and yeah I would pay more for a coat and have done in past but again - now I'd try to get a discount more say if I paid in cash.

I know where I work (Wimbledon near Village) - sales time coats etc are marked down a bit.

HelloBoys Fri 15-Nov-13 09:52:24

and for what LittleTulip said - yes I'd probably look at North Face etc too but that's me.

Parkas remind me of the whole Feargal Sharkey look

Waxed jackets - I used to wear these to go horse-riding so I always think they smell

smile

HelloBoys Fri 15-Nov-13 11:16:14

70isalimit - I got the Barbour waxed jacket when I was young (in 1990 or so when they were dead trendy) - never been anywhere near a horse in my life (apart from lessons as kids) - and got it from a gun/fishing shop in Croydon. I wanted the navy which didn't have a lining but had a nice separate fur (fake) gillet thing. I gave them away a few years later and wonder why now! LOL

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Fri 15-Nov-13 11:57:34

I have been 'shopping' around.I haven't found anything else.

I wouldn't buy north face because I find them ugly.They are technical coats not nice coats.I also don't wants lots of padding.Tbh I only see women 50+ wearing north face here.Then quilted styles are usually found in the market for £15 and look pretty much identical to the expensive ones,just have cheaper (and not as warm) linings and padding etc.

I generally hate parkas but those two are nice for parkas.

Love waxed jackets,but finding a nice,fitted and hooded one isn't easy either and tends to be very expensive.

Mint Velvet have got back to me now and the 'waxed' one,like many others around,isn't actually waxed and does have a sheen due to apparently trying to replicate a waxed jacket.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Fri 15-Nov-13 12:01:48

Just to add,I wouldn't be paying full price anyway,I know someone who can get a discount and have some vouchers I otherwise probably wouldn't use!

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Sat 16-Nov-13 10:01:34

This one isn't too bad for a waterproof,has a detachable fur trim for the hood and a furry fleece lining
www.momtrends.com/2011/12/fashion-for-moms/

tethersend Sat 16-Nov-13 11:48:09

I have a complete blind spot when it comes to these kinds of coats.

So I'm going to wade in blindly anyway.

any good?

tethersend Sat 16-Nov-13 11:51:22

I don't mind that one in your link, but again, I have no idea.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Sat 16-Nov-13 11:59:35

That's not bad actually,but it's double breasted and I have giant norks.Shame really

tethersend Sat 16-Nov-13 12:04:12

Hmm, will keep looking.

Bloody hell, it's a drawstring nightmare out there, isn't it?

tethersend Sat 16-Nov-13 12:06:09

Is this fitted enough?

Shruti04 Sat 16-Nov-13 12:39:11

I think grey, brown will look good. Padded coats are good to use in winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now