Hair help please! GHDs. Babyliss Big Hair?

(55 Posts)
YoniRotten Tue 12-Nov-13 23:17:52

Hi

I have neglected my hair for a long time - scraped back and ponytails is pretty much my style. Got away with that for a while but am feeling with advancing age I need to make more of an effort. Where to start?
I have straight-ish hair, just past shoulder-length. It's fine and flyaway. Sahm to toddler with not a huge amount of time to do my hair but will try!

NoGoatsToe Wed 11-Dec-13 21:47:27

So fecked off...when I got home from collecting my 2 bargain BBHs from Asda, I realised they sent me the 42mm. So returned them and ordered 2 more. Picked them up today and the a-holes have sent me another two 42mm ones!!! angry

JimmyCorkhill Mon 09-Dec-13 23:40:32

Thanks for the ASDA tip, just ordered mine too grin. Have absolutely NO hair styling skills and I'm hoping with all my might that this will work for me. Can collect it on Wednesday and can't wait!

trixymalixy Mon 09-Dec-13 23:16:33

Asda direct have just sent me a second 42mm BBH. They have now updated the Asda direct site to say 42 mm too. Guess I'll be returning this one as we and continuing the search for a bargain BBH <sigh>

grew Sun 08-Dec-13 20:53:10

Hi for those of you looking for the smaller 42 BBH, I found I could it order it oddly via asda groceries. Only the 50mm is on asda direct.

YoniRotten Sun 08-Dec-13 20:41:23

Thanks again for all the advice, and especially the ASDA tip - finally got around to getting there today and bought my BBH. But not opening til Xmas day. Will report back then!

AutumnFire Sun 08-Dec-13 18:17:38

Does it work on very long hair? I have fly-away fine wavy hair (but lots of it), down to my bum. Would it just get all tangled in the barrel?

foolssilver Sat 07-Dec-13 19:49:49

Thanks for the Asda tip, off to order.

trixymalixy Sat 07-Dec-13 18:58:33

I just picked mine up. They sent the 42 mm instead of the 50mm. It's very annoying!

I bought the bargain Asda BBH and used it today it was awful! I have the super thick/wavy/bush head hair smile only GHD's can tame. I got back from walking tge school run and look like a big crazy hair lady. Spent quite a bit if tone with it but totally different from GHD's. Then I noticed it was the 42mm one even though my invoice says 50 so I am taking it back tomorrow. I rang CS and they said doesn't matter I used it as it is the wrong thing so st least will get my £28 back grin

YoniRotten Sun 01-Dec-13 21:24:40

smile aj! Yes, quite, you just don't know who people are online.
I shall try it anyway, anything has to be better than this fine, limp rubbishy hair I have!

ajandjjmum Sun 01-Dec-13 19:19:20

I'm glad it works for you Cleo - wish it did on my hair. But seriously, it is the only product that I see a thread about on a very regular basis - I was sad enough to think just a couple of weeks ago 'I haven't seen a thread about BBH for a little while', then lo and behold......

I just have to put up with flat hair sadly! grin

CleopatrasAsp Sun 01-Dec-13 18:29:36

ajandjjmum I am nothing to do with Babyliss but the BBH is just about the only hair styling device I use and which works for me. As with anything, it's horses for courses.

ajandjjmum Sat 30-Nov-13 15:43:35

I have never known any product have the number of threads on MN that Babyliss Big Hair gets - I can't help but think that they have a very active marketing department!

This view might be coloured by the fact that I found it rubbish - have used it twice and it's now in the packaging at the back of a cupboard! grin

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sat 30-Nov-13 15:23:09

The easiest gadget for curls is the barrel thingy babyliss pro perfect curl very expensive but the best and easiest gadget i have eyes up the GHD' curling tongs' curling wand sadly

YoniRotten Fri 29-Nov-13 15:47:41

Lovely, many thanks!

NoGoatsToe Thu 28-Nov-13 22:39:58

I have the bigger one and used it even when my hair was chin length. Have never used the 42mm one.

YoniRotten Thu 28-Nov-13 22:35:21

Thanks for the asda tip, NoGoatsToe. They only have the 50mm, should I get that or the 42mm? I thought 42 as my hair is only shoulder length?

trixymalixy Thu 28-Nov-13 21:28:48

Thank you thnk you!! I've finally bought myself one. I've been keeping an eye out for an offer on these for ages!

NoGoatsToe Thu 28-Nov-13 21:16:50

They are £44 in Argos shock but I just bought 2 on the Asda website because they are £28 each with free delivery to a local store. I'm giving them as Christmas presents to my best mate and my sister. That's how great they are!grin

YoniRotten Thu 28-Nov-13 21:09:07

Wow, such great reviews of BBH.
I have it in my Amazon basket, keep hoping the price will drop a little.

I wonder if people have used it on their horses?

Thank you, Venus and Profondo.

ProfondoRosso Thu 28-Nov-13 17:43:08

Sorry, that should be 'designed for use on both humans and horses,' not 'by.' Horses can't wash their own hair.

ProfondoRosso Thu 28-Nov-13 17:41:56

I love my BBH too. My hair's long and pretty fine, not extremely so, but flat and lifeless if I don't do anything with it.

A few things I've found are making a difference right now: first, my BBH, second, having some light product spray on the roots (I'm using a VO5 one), and third, Mane and Tail shampoo. I bought it in the States (though you can buy on Amazon). It is - I kid you not - designed for use by both humans and horses, to give you a full, glossy mane. grin And heck, I love it!

VenusDeWillendorf Thu 28-Nov-13 17:32:16

I love my bbh.

I have tried the irons, tongs and heated rollers. And just using my dryer and brush, but nothing made any real difference until I got the bbh.
I was very lucky to get mine on. Special offer in boots and I used my points which I had saved up to get it so I feel like it's just absolutely perfect!

I have long, just below shoulder length fine, but terribly thick on my head hair. I colour it too.
It falls pretty flat if I leave it to dry, (takes ages to dry) but has some curl underneath and at the front.
Then a big section of it is straight and flattens everything down from the top. So I'm triangle headed if I leave it.

Anyway, I blast it with my hair dryer on high heat and high speed, until its almost dry - 5 mins.

Then section it off, and working from the bottom upwards I have about 6 sections which I blast with the big hair, on high, and max rotation, paying special attention to the sections on the top, ie crown of my head, and the front sections.

It looks like I've spent a fortune in a salon, and takes less time than if I use a barrel brush and try and do it with the hair dryer.

I use a tiny bit of firm hold hair gel mixed with water in a squirt bottle as a root lift, and I also use a Kerastase serum for the ends and fly always.

My hair is so swishy, and I feel groomed! Also my style lasts so I have to wash it less, and, as I've coloured my hair, this is a good thing.

I love my bbh.

YoniRotten Thu 28-Nov-13 16:44:33

Thank you, Chottie. I have used Kerastase before, didn't feel it made much of a difference, but I will try the other two, thank you.

Cleo, thanks! I have decided to go for it! BBH and lovely hair, here I come! Though I will wait til Xmas to open it and start using it.

CleopatrasAsp Sat 16-Nov-13 05:15:45

BBH is the best thing since sliced bread, I love mine and I'm a complete styling numpty so if I can use it anyone can. It makes my frizzy hair smooth and shiny without flattening it and leaves it in much better condition than when I used straighteners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now