Should I buy Marc Jacobs scarf £490 reduced from £1,400 or

(29 Posts)
SundaySimmons Mon 11-Nov-13 15:46:47
SundaySimmons Mon 11-Nov-13 15:48:56

I'm going to make one for my sons girlfriend.

I thought my eyes were deceiving me - £1400 for a scarf. Goodness me.

nicename Mon 11-Nov-13 15:51:48

£14.00?

SoupDragon Mon 11-Nov-13 15:52:24

They appear to have used unravelled gold brillo pads in the original.

As an aside, that's the pattern I tend to use to edge my blankets with.

squoosh Mon 11-Nov-13 15:54:33

grin shock

£1490 for a scarf made of 80% wool, 14% polyester, 6% rayon

For me to spend that money it would need to be 80% unicorn hair, 14% spun gold and 6% Idris Elba's belly button fluff.

I'm all in favour of investment pieces but this is taking the pee in an extreme way. Even at the bargaintastic £490 (!!!) my flabber is still gasted.

Sammie101 Mon 11-Nov-13 15:56:39

Make one, and give the money you saved to me for my rent? wink

But seriously though, even at the reduced price who would pay that?! It's not even that nice!

SundaySimmons Mon 11-Nov-13 15:57:33

I have used that pattern many times for baby and children's blankets.

I was googling chunky scarf patterns and came across the Marc Jacobs one and laughed at the ridiculous price!

For £1,400 I would want it crocheted from David Ginola's hair!

Mignonette Mon 11-Nov-13 15:58:28

That is a shocker. i have been known to throw away good money on designer clothing but for a scarf? I paid £24 each for my Marc Jacobs scarves reduced to that on the Outnet.

I'm sure there are plenty of amazing crocheters/knitters who would love a commission that paid even one fifth of that.

SundaySimmons Mon 11-Nov-13 16:02:59

OP, I will hand crochet you one for the bargain price of £250.

I can't even crochet but am willing to learn, just for you.

[grin)

SundaySimmons Mon 11-Nov-13 16:15:37

Filberts, I'm off out to buy some wool to make it for my sons girlfriend. Not sure of colours yet but I reckon mine will be just as good as Marc's one!

fridgepants Mon 11-Nov-13 16:21:29

Crochet is pretty labour-intensive, though, to be fair. If I bought the yarn, and charged the equivalent of my day job hourly rate for the time spent making it, it would come up pretty pricey.

I would bet the price of two scarves that whomever crocheted them didn't get anywhere near that, though.

SundaySimmons Mon 11-Nov-13 16:22:01
fridgepants Mon 11-Nov-13 16:23:50

Oh, hang on, I was confusing centimetres for inches. So it's not as big as I thought smile

FragglerockAmpersand Mon 11-Nov-13 16:27:24

It's not even pure wool!!!! shock

I'm as much of a sucker for a label as the next woman, and indeed frequently more so, but Gott in Himmel they really do see them coming, don't they?!

EldritchCleavage Mon 11-Nov-13 16:29:37

For me to spend that money it would need to be 80% unicorn hair, 14% spun gold and 6% Idris Elba's belly button fluff

Ha ha ha! Though for that price, I'd want either more than 6% Elba or some Denzel Washington fibres added in!

There is a reason why the original's price has been slashed.
Nobody was prepared to buy it.

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock Mon 11-Nov-13 16:31:38

squoosh, for that money I reckon it would have to include Idris Elba/Benedict Cumberbatch/other sleb crush delivering it to the door themselves and staying to render personal services grin

Fucking polyester and rayon? Oi, Jacobs, you're having a laugh.

Mignonette Mon 11-Nov-13 16:32:52

I keep thinking of 'The Turtle' out of SATC when i see that scarf. Or Mrs Pepperpot.

Bloody hell, who crocheted it, God?

LackaDAISYcal Mon 11-Nov-13 16:36:58

Oh My Giddy Aunt! The yarn for that probably cost no more than £30 and it was probably hand crocheted by badly paid (and more than a little bit exploited) workers from the developing world. That is a shocking price for a scarf shock

Floggingmolly Mon 11-Nov-13 16:39:24

It's the type of blanket you'd put over Auntie Edna's knees when she's feeling chilly on a picnic.

EldritchCleavage Mon 11-Nov-13 16:40:36

I now realise that the luminous green pram blanket my grandmother's neighbour knitted can be dug out and worn as a super up-to-date high fashion accessory. Thanks, OP!

SundaySimmons Mon 11-Nov-13 16:45:47

I'm loving your comments!

Auntie Edna's knees is spot on!

My sons girlfriend has a big thick wooly scarf from last year and I thought I would make her one and on a young woman I think it could look a bit trendy. She is at Uni and works part time and walks a lot so this would be practical too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now