This dress - rate or slate??

(46 Posts)
Bambi75 Sun 10-Nov-13 17:41:56

I'm thinking of getting this dress to wear to an evening cocktail party this summer (I know, I like to plan ahead!). I'm a young (so im told) looking 37 yr old, slim size 10 with a mummy tum and not bad legs. I like the look of this dress because the drape effect is good for hiding mum tum and the colour would suit me - I'm a winter.

What do you ladies think?? Rate or slate ?

Thanks!

http://www.harveynichols.com/womens-categories-1/e-boutiques/michael-michael-kors/fashion/s461670-draped-stretch-jersey-dress.html

Bambi75 Sun 10-Nov-13 17:43:08
AngiBolen Sun 10-Nov-13 17:43:21
MerryMarigold Sun 10-Nov-13 17:44:02

Hmmm, I like the shape but not the colour or the zippy bits. It's not really a love or hate item, I don't think. But then again, I am no style guru. I can however link properly for you!

LeoandBoosmum Sun 10-Nov-13 17:45:07

Nice style. However, £170 for what is basically polyester with a bit of stretch is unreasonable!

Bambi75 Sun 10-Nov-13 17:46:23

Thank you, haven't got the hang of links from iPhone yet !

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 10-Nov-13 17:46:35

Like the shape but the zips are ugly and make it look very cheap.

MissMiniTheMinx Sun 10-Nov-13 17:47:37

I love the colour and the style but I don't like the look of the fabric or the hem (it looks cheap) I hate to see where the stitches are or an obv hem esp if something is expensive.

MerryMarigold Sun 10-Nov-13 17:48:39

You'd need to watch the length. Are you as tall the as the model? And I think you do need to have a good back to carry this off. No fat bulges with bra as they will show!

Bambi75 Sun 10-Nov-13 17:56:11

I'm 5ft 6 MerryMarigold so I don't think it would be too short, good point though

Yes Onesleep the zips do concern me a bit, I have long (past my shoulder) dark brown hair though and always wear it long so maybe that would help distract/lessen the effect of them ...?

MerryMarigold Sun 10-Nov-13 17:59:46

I was more thinking too long! It looks about right on the model, probably fine for you too.

HyvaPaiva Sun 10-Nov-13 18:02:24

I don't think it's a good idea to buy a dress that has a specific design feature - here, the zips - that concerns you and then use your hairstyle to hide it. £170 is expensive for a dress you actually want to distract from. To be honest, the cut and fabric looks cheap. Sorry OP!

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 10-Nov-13 18:02:43

Or your hair could catch in them. Ouch. smile

Financeprincess Sun 10-Nov-13 18:04:51

I looked at this in Harvey Nics a couple of weeks ago. It's not worth £170.

mysteryfairy Sun 10-Nov-13 18:11:38

I quite like it but will you honestly get to next summer without seeing something you like more? If you are really keen save the link as you'll probably pick it up in the January sales for a decent discount and if you don't tons of time to find something else just as good.

Casmama Sun 10-Nov-13 18:16:12

I don't know if it is a winter purple- it looks a bit muted to me.
Think you could do better for that money.

dexter73 Sun 10-Nov-13 18:18:00

I really don't like it. It looks like something Kat Slater would sell on the market in Eastenders.

MissMiniTheMinx Sun 10-Nov-13 18:53:35

I should be doing other things but couldn't resist seeing what else they have.

I love this www.harveynichols.com/womens-categories-1/categories/designer-dresses/cocktail/s458879-ernestina-lace-and-stretch-silk-dress.html?colour=BLACK In my dreams I can afford to wear dresses like this smile

ihatethecold Sun 10-Nov-13 18:56:43

That black one looks like it belongs in the Adams family.
Quite like the blue zippy one

LittleTulip Sun 10-Nov-13 19:00:27

I like it. The colour is lush however zips are a but chavvy.

MrsDeVere Sun 10-Nov-13 19:02:57

I think it looks a lot, lot cheaper than it's price tag.

If you like it and can afford it buy it. Its not horrible.

But you could get something that looks similar quality for £20.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 10-Nov-13 19:03:44

I don't like it at all. It looks like something someone in a late 80s coffee advert would wear on a date with a High Powered Businessman.

Why do you need to buy the dress now out of interest?

MrsDeVere Sun 10-Nov-13 19:04:23

The black one is very nice.
Again, doesn't look worth the money though.
But with a dress like that you need to see the cut and finish to see the quality.

marriedinwhiteisback Sun 10-Nov-13 19:05:18

I think it's a lovely dress but that the zips will date it and you won't wear beyond next year. I quite like evening dresses that last so that I can get them out again in five years time. I have a fabulous Frank Usher black dress that is totally classic which I bought in 1994 and would wear now - if only I could get the zip done up sad.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 10-Nov-13 19:06:30

Also you are 37! You are younger than me and I think that is something my MIL would wear smile

Sorry, you did say it's OK to slate it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now