How much do you conform for your setting?

(38 Posts)
AlternativeMoniker53 Wed 06-Nov-13 13:06:18

I just dropped something off at DD's school wearing black jeggings, black leather jacket, green light jumper (cami underneath, neither it nor lumps showing), bare feet and some nude and black heels. I thought it went together fairly well and was just popping in the car to drop off her forgotten homework. Well... I got some disapproving up-and-down looks. At the weekend I ventured into town in some over the knee boots. Again, looks.

It annoys me because I know what I need to do to conform, I just don't like doing it. I'm going into town later and I'm just going to give up and don the brown knee boots and pink gillet, losing the green jumper which is in fact Boden because I'm so beaten into submission! It's my own fault, we moved here on purpose for the schools, safety etc so I shouldn't bitch but I really don't want to morph into another middle class Boden clone!!!

ElizabethBathory Wed 06-Nov-13 16:18:44

YY to bitchy resting face Stephen grin I reckon most people have it when out and about. I've ended up chatting to so many people on my daily commute who turned out to be lovely and friendly, even though they looked like scary, sulky bastards when I didn't know them.

PukingCat Wed 06-Nov-13 16:28:54

I just saw a woman with knickers completely on show under leggings. White patterned pants and stretched out black leggings and waist length jumper. I wonder if she knew.

Anyone who gives you disapproving looks for your clothes is a twat.

Ragwort Wed 06-Nov-13 16:33:50

I have no idea what people think of my 'style' <such as it is>, I hardly notice what people wear unless it is totally outrageous - I look at people to see if they have a friendly, welcoming look on their face, not what clothes they put on hmm

Sonotkylie Wed 06-Nov-13 16:35:40

Hi - I know what you mean. I try to dress up a bit and we too moved to sticks from big city when DS was little. I found both at pre school and later at school, I initially got a few looks but the other mothers got used to me and now its a running but enjoyable joke - and I get plenty of compliments too. So don't blend in, just smile - inwardly or outwardly, depending on how its going.
Personally, I would have disapproved of you not wearing socks today for it is both cold and wet (and filthy muddy) here. But I'd have said it to your face!

FrameyMcFrame Wed 06-Nov-13 16:37:55

Maybe it was the shoes? Bare feet with heels in this weather isn't exactly practical, more summer wardrobe?

FrameyMcFrame Wed 06-Nov-13 16:39:21

Also over the knee boots can look a bit Dick Whittington or sex worker if not careful!!!

Madmog Wed 06-Nov-13 16:42:23

Always in jeans with trainers or boots here. Very lucky as everyone just accepts everyone for how they are here (unless it's me who's oblivious and haven't noticed odd looks). Others are the same, but some are smart, some are trendy (oh, I wish that was me!!) and others a real state with muffin tops on total show hanging out of jeans and leggings.

rockybalboa Wed 06-Nov-13 17:48:05

If it was me it I would have been looking at you thinking "damn her, why don't I look that cool?". I'm trapped in frumpy mumsy hell most of the time and am too fat to claw myself out of it. Stick to your own style and don't be a sheep.

Beaverfeaver Wed 06-Nov-13 18:00:29

I don't conform.
I love it.

Most people I know like it too.

I wear mini skirts and coloured tights with over knee boots (to work).
Don't care if people disapprove

EyeOfNewtBigtoesOfFrog Wed 06-Nov-13 18:07:47

I work from home so I do a variety of looks - scruff bag, gym wear (on zumba day!), or dressed up if I feel like it. Today I'm wearing a quite formal charcoal grey dress with orange tights - not for any occasion. In summer I love wearing bright dresses.

I do notice that it's not usually quite the school run uniform - which is jeans or A-line skirt, boots, breton, gilet and ponytail (I have short hair and this is where I stand out the most I think...) However I don't think I get nasty looks. I think I'm well established into a "NOT in the clique" role and I don't care, so so nobody else cares.

I do know I always feel most comfortable if I wear what just feels right that day.

Marylou2 Wed 06-Nov-13 18:53:16

I wouldn't worry.I must look like a classic Boden clone from the outside. I don't have the time or the confidence to dress differently. However, in my 40 something head I want to be different and If I saw you I'd probably have a good snoop and make mental notes to look for something similar if I get a chance. PS no one ever looks at me and I assume that it's because I'm not worth noticing. I wonder which is worse?

Coupon Wed 06-Nov-13 18:54:33

I'd be wondering why you had bare feet in this weather, and offering to buy you some thermal socks. Rest of the outfit sounds fine though!

AlternativeMoniker53 Wed 06-Nov-13 18:57:15

The over the knee boots are the new look, not thigh high, knee high at the back with a raised front that covers the knee when standing. Less pirate/ prossie than you might imagine!

It does go from the sublime to the ridiculous, today I literally walked house-car-school and back with the forgotten homework. It was dry so I just slipped off my slippers and on with slip ons, sock less. Yesterday I got a call from DS's school, he'd forgotten his trumpet, I'd got ready for a dog walk and dropped it off en route, walking into reception in wellies and waxed jacket.

I'm going to try to observe my resting face, perhaps I'm giving everyone the stink eye and I just don't realise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now