Which coat? WARNING! Boring 'performance' coats may feature.

(111 Posts)

I've spent about three winters freezing my nips off trying to look cool wearing a leather jacket in the playground. I've now realised I just looked cold and possibly a bit of a wanker. Ergo I need a proper coat.

As a fully paid up member of the HoC cult, I need it to be either a nice berry colour, navy or grey. I will not countenance real fur on it so nice ones like Aigle/Canada Goose/Moncler are out.

So I have seen these two I quite like (as much as it is possible for me to like anything so functional). So which is better? Or are there other, better options?

Lands End (I know)

North Face

Snowbility Sat 09-Nov-13 10:56:01

Mid thigh sounds a better length - I'm hourglass and although we're meant to, I can never pull off the belted look...I have no idea why.

It's mid thigh on me (5'4) and I went up a size as it is a neat fit. That means the belt looked more cinched and less strained.

SilverSixpence Sat 09-Nov-13 09:53:23

I love my Selected Femme parka its cozy and flattering. I still do wonder if I need a down coat though for when its really freezing..

I tried one on was bit dubious but very flattering but too hot for me doesn't stop me looking though grin

Snowbility Sat 09-Nov-13 09:44:51

The Arctic Parka looks awful on the model though - like it's their child's coat....way too short, and the belt pulled tight in the middle is hideous. I wonder how tall she is?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 09-Nov-13 09:25:51

The brown trims putting me off the cream.

And the price grin

BranchingOut Sat 09-Nov-13 09:23:51

Signing in here as I am also on this quest.

IRL cream is kind of pale gold. Really lovely, but does nothing for my yellow skin tone sadly

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 09-Nov-13 09:08:26

Thank you, it's lovely. I like the cream.....

I got the Arctic parka in navy. It's lovely!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 09-Nov-13 08:10:25

Which Barbour did you get? I want a non frumpy coat too.

I look beyond awful in my musto coat.

I need a coat intervention sad

ebaymad Fri 08-Nov-13 22:50:16

Good to know.

I'm trying to hold off buying it until there's a sale (and I'm skint)

Thanks for the update and enjoy!

Bust, obvs.

I actually got a 12, as opposed to my usual 10. Could probably have got the 10, but it may have been a smidge snug on the busy, plus I like room for a jumper or two...

ebaymad Fri 08-Nov-13 22:43:31

I've been waiting Amber blush

I'm slightly obsessed with it...

What's the sizing like?

Because I know you've all been waiting with baited breath, my Barbour arrived and I fricking love it. Got caught in the pissing rain and was snug as a bug.

Special thanks to mysteryfairy who made me aware of the existence of the navy!

And I will respectfully decline. That is the only good thing to be said about life with two toddlers - indoor soft play.

LordPalmerston Mon 04-Nov-13 21:00:42

Lol. You weakling. grin

I'll offer you 5 hours in cold every Bloody Sunday.

Standing around at the park on my terms (ie no snow or rain). If/when DS gets involved in sports when standing outside is needed and I can't send his dad I will get a proper sports-mum coat. Did like the Lands End a lot but big tits + big arse - belt = brick.

LordPalmerston Mon 04-Nov-13 20:42:20

actually its ok - just too short for extreme weather

MIND YOU amber - what actually do you need it for? ;)

LordPalmerston Mon 04-Nov-13 20:40:56

ew

UPDATE: i went for a try on this morning. The Aigle Cuckmere (they sell it sans fur) was very warm but looked mumsy on me due to length, plus I really do want a furry hood, just not a real one. The North Face was gorgously warm and a nice purple, but too plain for me (I like a bit of flashy hardware), so I have ordered the Barbour. Will report back.

chartreuse Mon 04-Nov-13 12:08:36

I have a lands end stadium squall for when it's snowing, but most days I wear the J Crew Wintress in navy, toasty warm, fairly stylish. J crew opening in Regent St this week so you could have a try on.

There is no way a wool coat would keep me warm in winter. My wool coats are for spring and autumn only.

OrchidLass Mon 04-Nov-13 09:01:43

Ah I wish I'd never seen this thread i'm so desperate for a Didrikson now and can't decide between the Taylor and the Lindsay. Plus, they are bloody expensive so it would have to last me a loooooong time! smile

Loopytiles Sun 03-Nov-13 22:26:12

They're all so pricey! And am not slim. Would really like one under £150 and below knee for commuting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now