Which coat? WARNING! Boring 'performance' coats may feature.

(111 Posts)

I've spent about three winters freezing my nips off trying to look cool wearing a leather jacket in the playground. I've now realised I just looked cold and possibly a bit of a wanker. Ergo I need a proper coat.

As a fully paid up member of the HoC cult, I need it to be either a nice berry colour, navy or grey. I will not countenance real fur on it so nice ones like Aigle/Canada Goose/Moncler are out.

So I have seen these two I quite like (as much as it is possible for me to like anything so functional). So which is better? Or are there other, better options?

Lands End (I know)

North Face

foxysocks Sat 02-Nov-13 12:51:50

I couldn't wear the artic parka it would look horrific on me but I definitely feel stylish in my peninsula. and think i look pretty good too. it's showerproof but not storm proof.

wool coats are also lovely and I have a gorgeous reiss one but it fits less well with my life right now.

I've got a couple of lovely wool coats that I wear for work, but I really want something for the days I am with the kids. It doesn't need to withstand bucketing rain (I won't go out if it's pissing down and I can avoid it).

Didriksons look great for the purpose - I like the Taylor but not the little toggles

mystery thanks for linking the Artic Parka in the navy - it is exactly what I want, but now I'm facing the dilemma of the Shimmer down coat getting a good write-up from LordP and being half the price!

Hmmm, what to do, what to do.

Foxy I really like yours but a belt is marginally better for me being a short hourglass not a rangy supermodel type like you.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Sat 02-Nov-13 13:00:38

If you just want warm just go for wool.It amazes me how many people think a coat needs to be padded (and fugly) to be warm.Wool coats are fab.

However,if you want something you can wear for a good while in the rain (wool will stop you getting wet but the coat needs to dry out naturally after and can sometimes smell!oh,and possibly become heavy if you've just spent time in heavy rain!) then look for something waterproof (but not poofy!)

mysteryfairy Sat 02-Nov-13 13:04:01

Can you last til Xmas sales? You'll probably pick up the Barbour for a lot less then. I bought a lands end parka before I bought a Barbour (with 50% off in sale) but the fit was just so terrible it was a complete waste of money - worn for one weekend.

sedgieloo Sat 02-Nov-13 13:07:41

I looked at the didrikson greta, no toggles or patch pockets but it was out of my budget. You may prefer it too. Tog rating isn't as high as the Taylor however.

www.didriksons.com/article.asp?c=1&articleId=3573&typeId=0&usageId=0&systemId=0&sizeId=2&search=

hettie Sat 02-Nov-13 13:12:23

OP The thing about those down coats is that you can't even get them a bit wet... (wouldn't be any good in even a light shower). There are more technical coats that are down filled (north face and jack wolfskin for example). If you intend not getting wet then I like the barbour one

North Face arctic parka has weird seam under bum so I ruled that early on (have ample rump).

Hmmm, it's tricky. I don't spend a great deal of time getting wet as I won't go to the park etc if it looks like rain. That said I, like everyone, occasionally misjudge it and get caught in a shower. Barbour Arctic Parka owners - how does it fare in the rain?

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 15:07:15

I have Arctic. I never noticed.

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 15:07:38

Oh god. If you're not in fields all weekend then do land send

Abzs Sat 02-Nov-13 18:23:16

[[ http://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/apparel/women/all-jackets/synthetic-fill-jackets/1201221-iceguard-coat.aspx Jack Wolf skin Iceguard]]
Water resistant outer fabric and synthetic filling, so will cope with getting caught out in the rain. Shape is not quite so fitted as the north face you first linked to though.

Snowlike Sat 02-Nov-13 18:27:09

Intrigued by the weird seam under bum in the arctic parka - will investigate when I return home because I've never noticed. This weekend I'm wearing a down coat from the Theory & Uniqlo collaboration, it is nowhere near as warm as the arctic parka and yet has the same fill rating. confused

weird seam here

Abzs that's not bad at all actually, but I've now decided I want a (synthetic) furry hood.

It's striking that balance between function and aesthetics that's so hard isn't it? especially when you're as shallow as me

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 18:54:43

Furry hood vital

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 18:56:15

Just went to look at mine. There's an elasticated waist. Then the seam bit it would be top of your thighs I think. Id never noticed if

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 02-Nov-13 19:00:23

I've worn my barbour for the last 2 winters, in rain, snow and wind and found it fine. But I don't walk for miles a day so don't know how it would fare in torrential rain for long periods.

I do however stand around outside a lot waiting for children etc.

If I had loads of dosh I'd go for moncler.

I also have wool coats but they just aren't as warm as down filled ones for watching sports matches etc.

PatoBanton Sat 02-Nov-13 19:02:35

have got didriksons taylor here and it is LUSH except have got a long neck and the hood is a bit confustulating

v warm but not TOO warm in shops

not yet anyway

size DOWN though

PatoBanton Sat 02-Nov-13 19:03:14

My barbour winter utility lets water in at the elbows.

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 19:27:27

i am due to be in a field tomorrow all day with s3 watching flippen rugby

I will feedback - forecast is dire

I finally managed to procure my driving licence (6th time's a charm) this summer so my days of walking miles in the rain are over!

Yes, LordP furry hood is vital, and the Eurotrash in me is leaning towards a shiny finish. So it's between Lands End and Barbour. Hmmmm.

Cast your votes now!

slalomsuki Sat 02-Nov-13 19:58:57

My Lands End down filled coat is waterproof and drys quickly. Can't link it as its a couple of years old but they will tell you in the description what weather it's designed for and if the seams are taped.

ebaymad Sat 02-Nov-13 20:20:43

I love the Barbour!

If it was closer to £200 i would be very tempted.

Would last forever...

LeFreakCestChic Sat 02-Nov-13 20:24:48

Can I briefly hijack amber?

Am agonising between two Didriksons either Taylor or Greta quite reluctant to spend ££ on non fashion am a size 12-14, can anyone advise on sizing? And v keen not to look like I'm wearing an anorak, do the look Gor tex-y..?

Abzs Sat 02-Nov-13 20:41:34

Furry hood essential? Then may I offer these options?

I'm hankering after a 5th Avenue, but there's no way I can justify it given how many coats I already own.

RubyLovesShopping Sat 02-Nov-13 21:41:30

Hi amber I have the north face arctic for school/sports/park etc and it def doesn't have that weird seam is that a photo of a previous years style? It's very frumpy but does keep me dry and warm. Saw some for 215 recently in the grey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now