Job Inerviews - What to wear

(28 Posts)

I am currently trying to find a new job. I have worked with children for the past 10 years as it has been convenient while my own children were young, but I am now applying for office type work.

Obviously, as I have been working with children, I have had little need for smart work clothes. I used to own several suits, but I have lost 6 stone over the past 18 months and am now smaller than before I had children, so none of them would have fit me now anyway.

So, if I actually get an interview for an office job, what sort of thing is appropriate to wear? I own a wool black skirt (which is possibly a bit short for interview), black smart trousers and grey wide legged smart trousers. I have lots of fitted jersey tops, but I'm not sure whether they are too casual. I also have a couple of fitted jumpers, but the same goes for them. Do I have to wear a shirt/blouse? What about wearing a dress?

Please help, I don't want to look like a clueless frumpy mum!

I bought this top today (I had M&Co vouchers plus they had a 20% off event this weekend so it cost me barely anything in real money). The grey in the pattern goes with my grey wide legged trousers, and the fact that the top is fitted and the trousers are quite loose seems to work. I'm thinking that with smart black shoes, a smart black handbag and a black wool coat to wear over it on the way there it would be OK.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 02-Nov-13 19:46:23

That sounds like a very nice outfit Jemima. Good luck with the interview!

Dilidali Sat 02-Nov-13 23:06:52

I love the top!
Good luck with the interviewsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now