HoC opinions?

(54 Posts)
elspethmcgillicuddy Sat 02-Nov-13 06:47:47

Not a thread about a thread but inspired by another thread!

I'm thinking of getting my colours and style done but it's a lot of money. Someone on another thread said that virtually everyone who has it done us really glad they did. Is this true? Has anyone had it and thought it was a bit meh?

I've lost a fair amount of weight recently and need some new clothes. Don't have a big budget but wondering if I should ask for this for Xmas.

Hi MissScatterbrain I don't know any of the consultants in that area, but we all have the same training and CPD, and follow the same format. Best thing is to go with the one it's easiest to get to, or if happy to travel, give a few of them a call for a chat.

MissScatterbrain Sat 09-Nov-13 15:32:06

Any recommendations for Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire please?

totallylost Sat 09-Nov-13 14:19:07

Have booked an appointment for Tuesday week. Ummed and aarhhed for ages, googled lots, tried to work out what season I am but haven't got a clue. Have a horrible feeling I am going to be a season I currently have no clothes for. Hoping I am winter.

blush

LonelyGoatherd Thu 07-Nov-13 18:20:43

For those in the SE, I heartily recommend travelin (posted upthread), the Chichester consultant. Straight-talking, confidence-boosting, and just supremely helpful.

Theoldhag Thu 07-Nov-13 16:35:56

Have not gave!

Theoldhag Thu 07-Nov-13 16:28:42

Thank you lovelies thanks for the explanations very helpful smile.
I have looked up (out of interest) the HoC team and I gave to say they all look so lovely and really walk the talk! I love seeing people dressed in colours!

ElizabethBathory Wed 06-Nov-13 12:02:42

Totally recommend HOC colours day, it's brilliant. I'd never have gone if a friend hadn't randomly asked me to go with her, but it's been a revelation (and yes, when said friend and I get together we often end up talking about it and sound like we're in a cult grin). It's getting so much easier to put outfits together now that my wardrobe is mostly in my colours, and I feel a lot more pulled together.

I'm a sultry winter and knew roughly what suited me, except I would sometimes go for muted colours which did me no favours and made me look dull and drab - which made me FEEL dull and drab, although I didn't realise it was the colours doing it.

Don't know much about CMB but fwiw my aunt had her colours done with them years ago and I reckon they diagnosed her correctly as some kind of autumn - she looks great in her colours.

It's been said - shorter consultation, no ratings of colours, less explanation of how to use the swatch book. The swatch book is very different - there is an overlap between the seasons in the CMB method. Also a different system of analysis.

Enjoy your style day lovecats! It's a long day, but really fun.

MissScatterbrain Wed 06-Nov-13 10:18:12

A friend went to CMB - her swatch book is very confusing, loads more colours compared with HoC and none of these were rated (e,g how much of each colour to wear and which are your very best colours). She wasn't told how to use these colours and as a result she still struggles when she goes shopping.

Thelovecats Wed 06-Nov-13 09:19:55

I haven't had a consultation with CMB but my mil did and her swatch is quite confusing. She has so many colours on it and little guidance on how to wear colours together. I couldn't tell by looking at the swatches what season she actually would be. I am very happy with HOC (I am a summer). Actually going for style day next week so hope it's good!

Theoldhag Wed 06-Nov-13 09:07:20

Out of interest Travelin what would you say are the main differences between HoC and CMB?

Did someone say consultants in the South East? grin I'm in Chichester.

I won't say anything about CMB except that I trained with HoC having done a fair bit of research.

Hopefully Sun 03-Nov-13 19:56:30

Timid Paula is very tall and very gorgeous and elegant! Super stylish. And very lovely and competent too.

Sorrel I was chatting to her about bra fitting recently (as you do) and was talking about all the mn threads on the subject.

SorrelForbes Sun 03-Nov-13 19:40:10

Hopefully Yes, it was Jan, and yes she's lovely. I really enjoyed my session and agreed with everything really! I mentioned my interest in bras while I was there and we had a good chat about that too.

timidviper Sun 03-Nov-13 19:39:06

I've just looked on their website and, although Penny Elger shows as my nearest consultant her classes are all run over the far end of her territory from me and there is a lady called Paula Davies who seems to run events much closer to us. Has anyone tried her?

There seem to be Colour Me Beautiful consultants even nearer but I find their webpage doesn't give much detail about them so I'm a bit apprehensive

nickEcave Sun 03-Nov-13 19:03:26

I had my colours done last year at a group Colour Me Beautiful session. It was quite good value as there were 6 of us and we only paid about £15 each. I came out as a warm and soft which I think is the same as a soft Autumn in the HOC scheme. It obviously wasn't as thorough as a HOC session but it gave me a pretty good idea of which colours suit me best (I think I am pretty easy to diagnose as I have brown hair with reddish tones, quite yellow skin and green/blue/grey eyes with yellow around the pupil and it's really obvious that strong colours overwhelm me). I quite fancy doing the style day with HOC but is there any way I can do that without paying £100 for the colours analysis?

RockMummy Sun 03-Nov-13 18:21:10

Another client of Alex in Brighton and Hove too.It was such a good experience.

Hopefully Sun 03-Nov-13 13:38:32

Sorrel I'm in Exeter. Jan in Plymouth is fabulous, so kind and really knows her stuff.

mrskittyfantistico Sun 03-Nov-13 12:40:45

timidviper- hope you love the day as much as I did if you do go with Penny! Let us know how you get on.

SorrelForbes Sun 03-Nov-13 11:30:10

Hopefully Whereabouts in the SW are you? The lady I saw this week is Plymouth and West Devon.

Theoldhag Sun 03-Nov-13 11:13:22

I have heard of good things about Alex in Brighton too, a couple of friends went to see her. She really does know her stuff by all accounts and is so very approachable (well worth seeing if anyone is in West Sussex). Have heard of good things about the lady in Devon (I am guessing that is you Hopefully?)

Hopefully Sun 03-Nov-13 10:38:57

Whereabouts in SE? I had mine done with Alex in Brighton, who is amazing.

whonicked you go with no make up on, and your consultant will cover your hair if it's coloured.changing colour won't affect your result, and your consultant should be able to suggest lots of colours that you can still go that will complement your season rather than fight against it - we won't tell you to only stick to one colour forever more.

Pufflemum Sun 03-Nov-13 10:14:11

www.houseofcolour.co.uk/maudjanssen/index.php

I went three weeks ago for the first time! to Maud in Englefield Green, near Ascot/ Egham. She was brilliant and has really changed the way I look for clothes. I am a sultry winter and enjoying trying out the new, bold colours and scaring my children with the lipsticks!

WhoNickedMyName Sun 03-Nov-13 10:04:58

I'm thinking of taking my mum, for both of us to have our colours done as a Christmas gift.

Do you go to the consultation without make up on? What about if you dye your hair? I change my hair colour every 6 months or so... Does that affect what colours you are?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now