School mums xmas party outfit ;) skinnies + ?

(178 Posts)

That time of year approaches. Dinner and a bit of cheesy dancing on its way....

Anyhow, want something simple, stylish, little bit dressy, not expensive, a bit timeless, to wear with my lovely Indigo New Look skinnies (thank you Style and Beauty people). Am 5'2" and a bit pear-shaped if that helps! Preferably black (ok with indigo skinnies?)

Any suggestions? Have tried on a lovely sheer top in Zara but it was cropped which I can't wear, a few things in h&m and just seen a shell top with some sparkle round the neck on New Look...

New Look top

Zara top

Have this in black which I like but don't feel its dressy enough

holycowwhatnow Sat 02-Nov-13 09:05:33

I like the first New Look one but no one's ever said I'm stylish! I'll watch with interest cos I've a few nights out like yours.

Pinupgirl Sat 02-Nov-13 09:34:23

Well I wouldn't dream of wearing skinnies on any night out as I don't think they are flattering on anyone but the very slim. But if you must wear them then maybe try dotty p's? I always see nice tops in there.

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 09:36:50

Zara

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 09:37:11

I look great in skinnies. Pah to you pin up

Id def wear skinnies on an eve out if they were dressed up with heels and nice top.

I havent bought a going out top in years due to not going out because on babies/ bf/ preg so im not much use!

Try french connection/ ted baker/ zara.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 02-Nov-13 09:53:12

I'd wear skinnies too. With high ankle boots and I've got a navy silk shirt and sparkly necklace which I'll wear at one Christmas night out.

Yes to looking in zara - I find DP is very heavy on the polyester which is a shame as the styles are often nice.

dexter73 Sat 02-Nov-13 09:53:58

Wow Pinup, how to put a total downer on someone who has just found something they love to wear!
How about this?

mammadiggingdeep Sat 02-Nov-13 09:58:17

Skinnies are fine and I hate that people say you have to be a certain size to wear something. Rubbish. If you feel good, that's great.

I like the first top...however I have a funny thing about wearing black tops with dark blue jeans. Don't know why it's just a personal thing. A nice cream top would look good with dark blue skinnies. There was a thread in the week with a really nice new look top....
Don't think I can link.......on phone. Hold up....

mammadiggingdeep Sat 02-Nov-13 10:00:36

http://m.newlook.com/mcs/publish/4923/76718?prodid=276122872&extcam=UK_CSE_CSE_PriceGrabber&intcam=&tmcampid=&tmad=&tmplaceref=

This would look nice maybe?

mammadiggingdeep Sat 02-Nov-13 10:01:02

Oh rubbish....hang on....

mammadiggingdeep Sat 02-Nov-13 10:04:30

No...won't let me.

It's called soft pink sequin bead deco shell top

It's like a soft nude colour. Really pretty and could wear with a vest/ cami under

MorrisZapp Sat 02-Nov-13 10:04:41

Oh get lost pinup! Loads of different women look great in skinnies. I blooming love mine and I'm no Kate Moss. Ankle boots are my saviour!

Pinupgirl Sat 02-Nov-13 21:48:45

I disagree-I was asked for an opinion and I gave it-no need to get your knickers in a twist. I just think its a bit meh that everyone is advised to wear the same thing when they post about a night out-ie skinnies,a "naice" top and heels.

Imo it is not a good look but that is only my opinion. If op is happy to wear jeans on a night out then that's her choice but I personally wouldn't choose any of the tops she posted-not special enough for a night out. I am sure she can find a much nicer one.

I agree that there must be nicer tops out there, but skinnies and heels are a perfectly good look for a party outfit.

Don't like Dorothy Perkins tbh; Warehouse is usually a bit more reliable for a reasonably priced top to wear with jeans, or how about something like this with a blazer or biker over?

nobutreally Sat 02-Nov-13 21:58:05

New look one is lovely in the pink ... black washes out all the detail imo. I think that would be a good nigh out outfit. Maybe with some sparkly bangles?

Agree that your H&M one is too everyday - sorry!

Rubybrazilianwax Sat 02-Nov-13 21:58:37

I'm going to risk it and side with pin-up! Sorry, I think jeans and a fancy top are a wee bit frumpy too. How about some of the coated skinny jeans even? The are a bit dressier looking as they look like leather.

WipsGlitter Sat 02-Nov-13 22:27:10

So pinup what would you wear on a night out??

sadsometimes Sat 02-Nov-13 22:35:56

I am nearly 50 and even I think skinnies are utterly dullard for a night out. Yes in the day with boots and knitwear but please no for a night out. Agree that the coated jeans are good.

But coated jeans and skinnies are the same thing, essentially. Both can be worn well, or badly.

thepurplepenguin Sat 02-Nov-13 23:21:08

No pinup, you were not asked for your opinion on the op's decision to wear skinnies. 'You' were asked for your opinion about a top she could wear with them.

Now she probably feels crap. Very unhelpful.

Ecuador Sat 02-Nov-13 23:28:27

Good skinnies and high heel ankle boots or shoes will look fab op. Not quite sure how that could look frumpy confused?

Coated jeans? Do they look like leather? Not so keen on the sound of that idea I must say.

Sorry back to tops! Am looking myself so will link if I see anything nice smile.

umiaisha Sat 02-Nov-13 23:36:06

I would also go with some of the coated jeans - I bought a black pair from Topshop a couple of months ago and feel they are more of a dressier alternative to skinnies.

Bunbaker Sat 02-Nov-13 23:51:44

I think this link is the one that Mamma was trying to show.

Dilidali Sun 03-Nov-13 00:14:37

How about this with something like this
The website has lot of indigo necklaces etc, have a look, see what would match your jeans. Or something around this idea: a plain top and a statement piece of jewellery.

I always wear a black wrap jersey dress. And really mad necklaces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now