Mighty challenge:Can you convince me to consider a parka?

(23 Posts)
TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 18:28:36

So,I need something for rainy days.I have a coat (merrell geraldine)on order BUT I'm still looking.

I'm not really a parka person,I tend to do belted of fitted wool coats.But I'm a sahm mum now with school run to do and,as much as it's not quite me,I kinda wish I could like more 'relaxed' looking coats at times.

So,can you convince me?

Requirements:

Must be navy or a lighter blue,I think.Can't do black and not keen on khaki.

Must be able to nip in due to giant boobed hourglass figure (not a mild hourglass!)

Up to £100

If you can convince me I shall send you a virtual bottle of champagne!!!

BridgeMix Wed 30-Oct-13 18:31:22

I could have written this! Except, I like khaki grin
So, I'll just hang around here then...

AndTwoBits Wed 30-Oct-13 18:33:56

I too am considering a navy parka. I haven't owned a parka since my student days but now with the school run and winter looming I am seriously reconsidering my stance on parkas, that being that they are a bit studenty..

I have a navy one from white stuff.
Woodland parka, I think it's called.
Warm without being heavy.
Can pull in at the waist so you don't look like a sack.
Nice lining, non synthetic hood lining which is cosy.
Hood can be put up in such a way it doesn't wreck your hairdo.

AndTwoBits Wed 30-Oct-13 18:35:23

It must be very very warm as I am a seriously cold creature and it must have a hood (but perhaps all parkas do) as I also push a buggy so no arms free for umbrella holding.

Allthingsprettyreturns Wed 30-Oct-13 19:25:11

Sainsburys

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 19:32:20

We need pics not shops smile

Runandbecome Wed 30-Oct-13 19:36:39

I read a feature on the Red Magazine website yesterday about Top 10 Parkas on the high street which included one or two blue ones.
I have two parkas and love them! Hood and big pockets are v convenient, and they can look stylish if you get the right one!

hettie Wed 30-Oct-13 19:38:13

I spotted a cool parka from Vaude the other day its way over budget but if you like the style then I maybe we can find something similar?

Hopasholic Wed 30-Oct-13 20:52:15

Ha ha! I remember reading how you hated them! I didn't really want one either TBH, but unfortunately needs must and I can't stand the thought of another winter freezing my butt cheeks off.

I saw this parker in JL on Saturday. It looks better in RL and isn't bulky.

DameDoom Wed 30-Oct-13 20:57:54

Whistles normally do a nice parka - they can look fab or frumpy if you don't get the right one.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 22:46:55

Not a parka but do you all think of this? www.planet-sports.com/en/category3_264/product281529/product_info.html

It looks kinda cute.There's a red and a purple floating around the net too.

Although,if you look at the back it looks like there is a heart on the backside!!!

Oh,I'm 31 btw for deciding on frumpsville (or too young for me) territory!

ExitPursuedByABogieMan Wed 30-Oct-13 22:49:37

Oh how I laughed when dd showed me the coat she wanted. When I described it to DH he said, bug that's a Parka.

What goes round comes round.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 22:57:30

Parkas are generally naff aren't they! You have to show us the coat your dd wanted now grin

ExitPursuedByABogieMan Wed 30-Oct-13 23:08:53

Wanted? She has it! Top Shop. £95. White fleecy lining. A Parka. grin

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 23:19:32

What is it with them that people love?I'm trying,desperately trying to find them 'nice' but it's not working!!!

Although,the link I gave is parka shaped blush

Damn coats will be the end of me!

Snowlike Wed 30-Oct-13 23:25:00

Parkas will never be stylish but they are weather appropriate and there comes a time when that matters more.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 23:40:39

When I'm an oap? grin

NoComet Thu 31-Oct-13 00:25:58

DD(15) and a similar age girl had identical New Look Parkas on in the dentists today. Sadly I think that means they are a no go for anyone who's DCs aren't still at nursery.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Thu 31-Oct-13 00:32:07

You've all confirmed what I thought...they are wrong wrong wrong!That applies to padded things too.Humpf!

No virtual champagne for you wink

Troubledjo Thu 31-Oct-13 00:43:00

The Evening Standard had a piece today on London's best parkas - they're all a bit hardcore. But here they are just in case:
www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/fashion/londons-best-parkas-8913006.html?action=gallery&ino=5

herecomesthsun Thu 31-Oct-13 07:19:52

Go to TKMaxx and try some on. I am a v curvy hourglass, you need to see what they look like on and make sure there is some waist definition and your boobs aren't squished. I got an arctic down filled parka for £90. v pleased. It doesn't have a belt but it does have a cut that suits. They are having a clearance currently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now