Lots of coat talk . . . here are my requirements

(25 Posts)
MaryShelley Wed 30-Oct-13 14:13:23

Ok, I already have a wax Barbour international (no hood so impractical) and a lands end down coat (mid winter!) and a navy trekking style regatta type coat (not warm and very unstylish - dog walking)

So what I need us:
I need a black / charcoal coat that has a HOOD, is water resistant,
fitted so it looks ok worn when dropping children at school and then wearing to work (suit).
Looks equally stylish with jeans and boots for days when I am a lady that lunches
I am a 16 and 38 yrs old
Up to £150

Is this achievable?

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 14:31:49

Probably not lol

I've got the merrell geraldine on it's way as it's the best I could find.It is properly fitted,with a little stretch,waterproof and has a light furry type lining No bulk,just streamlined fitted style with hood and buttons on the sleeve to add 'style'

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 14:34:28

www.e-outdoor.co.uk/2027059/products/Merrell_Womens_Geraldine_Jacket.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CJLtm6jjvroCFXCWtAodoDYAmA

Not the best pic.Not the most stylish coat either BUT it is fitted and not puffy!That's always a good start

tethersend Wed 30-Oct-13 14:39:52
tethersend Wed 30-Oct-13 14:40:37
MaryShelley Wed 30-Oct-13 14:41:23

Right idea triptrap. Cant tell, is it water resistant?

tethersend Wed 30-Oct-13 14:42:29
TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 14:42:51

It is waterproof smile that's why I ordered it instead of going for my normal wool!

MaryShelley Wed 30-Oct-13 14:43:17

Tethers - yes, too downy
And too 'wooly' - not good in rain and drizzle as I do the school run.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Wed 30-Oct-13 14:44:04

I've seen a video where a woman pours a glass of water on it and it literally all just pours right off the coat!

MaryShelley Wed 30-Oct-13 14:44:15

The killtec is interesting

oopnorthmum Wed 30-Oct-13 19:14:50

DH bought me a North Face Brooklyn for Christmas! (OK I have it now, not worn it yet though) it is gorgeous and toasty, apparently waterproof and has a lovely furry hood. It also has a belt to stop the duvet look! Supposed to be £300 shock but I got it from here.

www.allweathers.co.uk/the-north-face-womens-brooklyn-jacket-sale-aw12-14361-p.asp

It was £189 but delivered next day for free too!

hettie Wed 30-Oct-13 19:53:54

There is a merrell elenwood for sale here for £149, I think it's quite smart especially in the heather, but they do do it in black too...

MaryShelley Wed 30-Oct-13 20:29:11

Some excellent ideas thank you. Nude finitely want a Smartish coat look rather than parka.

LostMarbles99 Wed 30-Oct-13 20:49:10
MaryShelley Thu 31-Oct-13 09:07:36

Marbles, that is lovely - now if I could have two coats. . .

What is the sizing like on merrell - am I a large or XL ( I'm a 16)

Lagoonablue Thu 31-Oct-13 09:11:31

www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/waterproof-outdoor-technical-jackets/rain_1/long-waterproof-northstar-jacket_squid_ink.htm

I like this. Is quite fitted and totally waterproof. Have tried it on and like it.

roseinwinter Thu 31-Oct-13 12:50:08

Sorry to high jack this thread but Marbles what colour did you get the Phase Eight coat in? What's the sizing like? I'm looking for something warm enough to take my DD to the park in but also smart enough for when I go back to work in the new year.

found this on a search for moi this mornng brand called klass?

Berghaus Hartley V Smart but over budget?

I eventually gave in and got a cheapo ebay as want to be smaller

All of the above have detachable hoods - which I quite like idea of - also seasalt janelle is quite nice but I'm waiting until I am smaller than a 14 before I buy it thlblush

trixymalixy Thu 31-Oct-13 16:21:13

Aigle trench coats. They are waterproof, breathable, seam sealed and look smart. They also have a hood.

trixymalixy how warm is the aigle trench? I get warm quite quickly so all the padding lately puts me off but there is a fine line that I am finding it difficult to tread <wanders of considering purchasing loads of thermals>

LostMarbles99 Thu 31-Oct-13 16:28:51

I went for the mink colour, it's lovely in RL!

Sizing is very accurate IMO!

LostMarbles99 Thu 31-Oct-13 16:29:41

Exactly as you say rose it's warm and quite smart!

roseinwinter Thu 31-Oct-13 19:47:58

Thanks Marbles - you've persuaded me to go and try it on. Fingers crossed!

MaryShelley Sun 10-Nov-13 16:29:31

still a little undecided
does anyone have this berghaus?

store.berghaus.com/p/new-season/womens-hartley-insulated-mac/420640

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now