How can anyone possibly buy online?

(22 Posts)
peasypeeler Tue 29-Oct-13 18:22:31

I think I must be in a little world of my own. I see things online but never buy because I don't know how low the scoop/v is, how tight the fit is of how the fabric feels.

I'd LOVE o by online but I simply don't know how I could. Just read a thread about someone buying jeans online from Hobbs and I'm in awe - I tried fifteen pairs of jean on before I bought any and even then the buggers grew after wearing!!

Even picking up a teeshirt in M&S's requires me to take both a 10 and a 12 to get the right fit shock

Is it maybe because my style is 'neat'?

MrsDavidBowie Tue 29-Oct-13 18:25:57

I have no choice but to buy a lot online as I have big feet and long legs.

My frustration is with exhorbitant p and p charges...I have spent £20 before on delivery and returns, and kept nothing.

AlexaChelsea Tue 29-Oct-13 18:28:02

You get good at it. You get to know fabrics, fits, mixes etc.

I buy almost everything online. I rarely go clothes shopping now, all online. And returns are easy anyway so it's really not that big of a deal.

If you know what you need from a pair of jeans, for example, then you look online until you find it.

peasypeeler Tue 29-Oct-13 18:29:32

I hadn't thought about that Mrs DB! P&p is exorbitant in some places.

I'm a standard 10/12 and hourglass - you'd think that would make shopping easier but it doesn't.

I thought it was something a lot of people enjoyed doing - forgot abut those that 'have' to do it. blush

peasypeeler Tue 29-Oct-13 18:31:43

Alexa - I know what I want from a pair of jeans - I want them to fit me! How would I know that from a models pic?

I'm truly intrigued! I'd rather buy online if I could work out how. On the odd occasion I have I've been really disappointed.

Snowlike Tue 29-Oct-13 18:31:44

I often do massive orders from one shop - maybe keep one item....as long as p&p and returns are free, it works out pretty well. I try on everything wearing the right shoes and top and get to see how it works with my wardrobe.

peasypeeler Tue 29-Oct-13 18:33:49

Snowlike, you have to pay upfront though for all the items - no?

AlexaChelsea Tue 29-Oct-13 18:35:43

I guess find a model that's modelling them that has your shape?

I don't know. I don't look at the models, I look at the clothes. The cut, the fit, the shape, the fabric, the style, and I decide if I like it. I rarely send things back.

Snowlike Tue 29-Oct-13 18:47:36

Yep but it's all on credit card so not really a worry - for me anyway. Dh got a bit of a shock initially when he saw a bill coming through for one shop hitting nearly £1000 but I probably only kept £50 worth. He's chilled out about it since then.

Snowlike Tue 29-Oct-13 18:50:09

I'm a size 10 hourglass too but I would never say standard - pear shaped is more standard and I'm tall and have a long waist to shoulder.

I'm always surprised when clothing fits me.

Lavenderhoney Tue 29-Oct-13 18:52:11

If you know what suits you its ok. If you have bought from somewhere in shop, then you know the sizing, like jeans from top shop,

Wallis has a try on online where you put in your measurements and put the item on. I think its called changing room. Its really good, and saved me from many a purchase.

Snowlike Tue 29-Oct-13 18:54:13

And I always use promo codes, so I routinely get up to 25% off.

CointreauVersial Tue 29-Oct-13 19:16:08

I get to know the online shops where the fit/sizing is right for me, but even then I will sometimes buy two sizes and return one. Some of the websites have great pictures, all the angles, and video clips, which really give you a good idea of what the garment will look like on (some are not so good....).

Often there are promo deals with zero postage, or sometimes I have stuff delivered to store which is generally free.

But I rarely buy jeans online because the fit is so tricky, and I would only buy shoes from places like Clarks and M&S where I know the fit works with my feet.

Online shopping works for me, because I have very little time to shop, and I find there is just too much choice when I do. I much prefer to browse a few pages of a website or catalogue than trudge around shops looking for clothes, particularly if there is something specific I'm after. Too stressful!

Browsing around shops is reserved for times when I'm not after anything in particular, and I just fancy seeing what's around.

MarshaBrady Tue 29-Oct-13 19:22:01

It does get easier as you can check how it fits the model.

I'm usually hesitant to buy online first time if I have no idea on sizes.

peasypeeler Wed 30-Oct-13 12:54:54

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, I'm about to oder something from kettlewell to see what there sizing is like to get some confidence.

I don't think I will ever be able to buy trousers/shoes or jeans online but I'll experiment with tops. Thanks smile

peasypeeler Wed 30-Oct-13 12:55:39

*order
*their

Passthecake30 Wed 30-Oct-13 13:05:54

I do the same as snowlike, I'm 6ft and slim and can't find anything in shops....all the tall ranges are via mail order so I wait until postage and returns are free and do a whopping order on my cc. Sometimes stressful when I return most of them and the credit takes ages to appear on my card....I fret they are lost in the post, but so far so good.

UtterflyButterfly Wed 30-Oct-13 13:06:37

Re: p&p, I save money buying online even if I have to pay postage/returns as I would have to pay far more in parking and petrol to take a trip to my nearest city with a decent selection of shops (and I'd doubtless have coffee or lunch out and get sidetracked by all sorts of other things I don't need, making for an expensive trip).

singaporeswing Wed 30-Oct-13 13:27:18

I live abroad in a country where I would never be able to find bras/bikinis to fit (30GG) or trousers/jeans to fit (35 inch inside leg).

I have to buy everything online. I only use websites where I know I fit into their size 10-12, so less returns.

Twinklestein Wed 30-Oct-13 15:00:00

If you think about how much you spend to go shopping for a day - travel/parking, something to eat etc, I usually spend about £20. From that pov p and p charges aren't bad, I just factor them in.

Corygal Wed 30-Oct-13 15:36:59

To feel secure, I buy by brand - and I don't spend a lot, to be honest. No tailoring either.

No chance would I buy a coat without trying it on, but T shirts and unfitted stuff work fine. I'd buy a batch of H&M (using a welter of codes) which do well for me, and I'd buy, say, a Splendid or Rachel Pally jersey dress because I already know it will fit. Shoes work too.

I really agree about the feel - with a cardigan or a jumper you want to have a good finger of it before you get it. And I loathe polyester linings, so no fitted dresses just in case.

Marylou2 Wed 30-Oct-13 18:44:50

You just get to know certain brands and their sizing quirks. In my case it's Boden. They do the same designs year after year and I always buy favourite s in different colours.Also they do free delivery and returns and their customer service is superb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now