I'm going to New York - what bargains shall I get?

(8 Posts)

My lovely DP has surprised me with a trip to New York in 2 weeks - to say I'm excited is an understatement! I'm currently in the middle of a massive weightloss (62lb) so far and have gone from a size 22 to a 16 (occasionally a 14). As such I've had to get rid of my whole wardrobe and start again, and i'd be keen to pick up some bargains in NY if theres some to be had! I dont want to get anything too expensive as I'm still working towards my goal weight, but if anyone had any recommendations of places to go to pick up some bits while i'm there i'd be really grateful! I am mostly after some dresses (I wear a lot of New Look and Dorothy Perkins dresses tho i'm trying to branch out now that I can fit into small sizes), and also would like some new jeans. Thanks in advance!

FunkyFucker Sun 27-Oct-13 17:33:44

Places to go to get bargains - New York!

Actually, it depends on the exchange rate. Since the recession quite alot of bargains aren't such a bargain. Find out the prices here, take a list and make the calculation [don't forget to add on sales tax] and if you do see a bargain, get it there and then. I tend to stick to shops that are different in styling to here, than try and get the same things as over here.

Ememem84 Sun 27-Oct-13 17:43:34

Head to old navy. American eagle. And macys. Levi's are dirt cheap and in the actual store they'll fit you to your perfect jeans. Also converse.

Thanks both! I love American Eagle, friends have bought me stuff from there, so i'll check it out. Will I get my giant bum into Levi's? I'm still wearing size 18 jeans but im going to have to think about sizing down soon as they are getting v baggy, I wasnt sure if Levi's go that small?

Sleepyfergus Sun 27-Oct-13 17:54:44

Ooooh, lucky you. NYC will be lovely at this the of yet in the run up to Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Don't have any recommendations as it's ages since I've been there, but maybe pop to Tiffany's and get a nice wee something? Don't need to be a certain size to get a nice bit of jewellery! grin

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's an amazing change!

joydivisionovengloves Sun 27-Oct-13 18:00:06

You will find jeans to fit you and bargainous ones at that. Go to the customer service desk at Macy's and they will give you a card that gets you a discount of I think around 11% as you are a tourist. If you have plenty of time in NY take a bus trip out to Woodbury Common outlets. You will get lots of great bargains there. Century 21 also worth a look but make sure you are in the mood, think TK Maxx but on a grand scale.

SantiagoToots Sun 27-Oct-13 18:02:43

I owned a pair of Levi's in size 18 (bought in States).

Excellent! Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now