Can you link to your most stylish winter coat (it must be warm and have a proper hood)

(73 Posts)
LostMarbles99 Sun 27-Oct-13 17:19:53

Someone described the merrell one that I liked as frumpy and I completely see what they mean!

Please help me find a warm and stylish winter coat!

am prepared to beg!!

LostMarbles99 Thu 07-Nov-13 06:37:48

Ok, both the phase eight one and the landsend coats arrived and they are both lovely. Warm and cosy but I think the phase eight one has the edge but only slightly.

I've worn the phase eight one twice and on both occasions I've had people come up and say "marbles, I love your coat!"

Very pleasedgrin

pinacoladaonthebeach Wed 06-Nov-13 22:45:37

thanks for all the good links, weirdly I like the mens' North Face parka more than the womens' but they are both too expensive so I have just ordered this from zara as I can return it if it is not warm enough. there is not much info on the website but it does say it has some down in it.

www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/coats/nylon-anorak-c269183p1293338.html

cuddlymoomoo Wed 06-Nov-13 14:34:38

The Didriksons I got was a 38. I'm a fat 12 - closer to 14 really but I pour myself into stuff in denial. It was huge - I'll need to go down to at least a 34 and I think that's this year's style.

blacktreaclecat Wed 06-Nov-13 14:05:19

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/jack-wolfskin-womens-wave-hill-parka-3-in-1-jacket-21210058
I've just bought this. Very warm and waterproof and nicer on than the Merrell Ellenwood. I'm only 5'4 and the Merrell was a bit long on me

Laquila Wed 06-Nov-13 13:48:37

Worth bearing in mind that if you get one of last year's Didriksons then you need to size down.

However they've redone the sizing now so it's more in line with UK standards. So I, a UK 12, bought a 40 in this year's Didriksons Taylor and it's perfect. In last year's Taylor, though, I'd have needed a 38.

They have different product codes - I think this year's end in 199? As a general rule, you won't find this year's for under £175, so if you find one cheaper than that you probably need to size down. Same goes for other styles too.

Funny I'd say the sleeve length on the Taylor is slightly longer than average - I have fairly standard arms and they're a teensy bit long on me, not ridiculously so.

I really would recommend the Taylor - it's a real workhorse but is surprisingly stylish.

funnyossity Wed 06-Nov-13 13:17:14

Thanks cuddly!

Does anyone have comments on Lands End sleeve length?

cuddlymoomoo Wed 06-Nov-13 13:09:37

funnyossity - if the Klara is an indication of Didriksons, EVERYTHING is massive.

Sleeves covered my hands completely.

cuddlymoomoo Wed 06-Nov-13 13:08:26

I ordered a Didriksons on the basis of all the threads I've seen here - most of the colours seemed sludgy so went for the only one that looked a bit brighter.

It isn't stylish but it does seem very warm and waterproof, doesn't have down filling (I didn't want down), and has a hood that looks as if it will withstand anything. It is an OK colour but . . . it is massive, absolutely enormous. So, while I would say it is worth a look, I'm not sure I'll be getting a different size when I return as I'm not sure it would ever fit. I'm not small, but it gets so big from the hips too that it's always going to look enormous even if it fits on top.

OK colour, warm, waterproof though . . . .

www.didriksons.com/article.asp?c=1&articleId=3429&typeId=0&usageId=6&systemId=0&sizeId=0&search=

funnyossity Wed 06-Nov-13 13:06:45

How is the sleeve length on the Didriksons Taylor ? I am blessed with long arms and many a coat has been rejected for short sleeves!

BranchingOut Wed 06-Nov-13 12:04:41

Is it smart enough to wear to work with a dress and boots?

PenfoldRocks Wed 06-Nov-13 11:44:28

Another vote for the Didriksons Taylor. I have it in Navy and am considering a second in another colour because I love it so much. Warm AND waterproof

BranchingOut Wed 06-Nov-13 10:34:57

To update on my purchases:

Merrell Haven - I bougth it in 'birch' from Field and Trek. Good price, but it felt really heavy and the colour was slightly peculiar, maybe a greenish tinge? The duffle features also looked really busy.

Merrell Ellenwood - nice shape, but again the fabric was really stiff and it was the colour of dirge....

So no success so far.

goldopals Sat 02-Nov-13 05:38:22

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/coats/for-the-winnipeg-coat

I bought this one off ebay for my trip to New York (from Aus)!

Laquila Wed 30-Oct-13 17:17:18

Didriksons Taylor

I love it nearly as much as I love my only child.

LostMarbles99 Wed 30-Oct-13 17:02:49

this is gorgeous in RL, I bought it today

Will need to compare to the landsend one when it arrives but the mink will match navy and black clothes!

Oh the dilemma!

MooseBeTimeForSnow Wed 30-Oct-13 15:34:29

We had our first snow on Sunday. I'm just wearing a really lightweight North Face at the moment, then I'll move to a thicker one as it gets colder. I only bring the CG out if it's at least -25 and we're going to be out for a while or it it's colder than that with a serious windchill. That's usually around December/January.

Hopasholic Wed 30-Oct-13 14:54:41

Janus it says it water resistant with some technical stuff about being quick to dry. I've not really worn it yet but I'll let you know once I've been drenched smile

Slipshodsibyl Wed 30-Oct-13 10:47:10

I think that's a good choice. It reminds me if the Aigle but at half the price.

LostMarbles99 Wed 30-Oct-13 06:49:08

I've just ordered the Landsend one that laska linked to! I had admired it in the past but they've got a 25% discount event so it was a good time.

I ordered the longer down coat last year but it was just too long and looked a bit frumpy!

I really hope it's nice! I basically want a coat that ticks every box,
Stylish
Hood
Waterproof
Looks good with dresses
Can be worn with flat shoes/boots
Warm

I don't ask for much!

Snowlike Tue 29-Oct-13 21:44:35

I have two down coats, a waterproof arctic parka and a more slimline less waterproof one, they are warm but I would never venture to call a warm, waterproof parka stylish....they are essential though and so I wear them instead of my lovely wool coat, unless I'm attending a formal event.

Laska42 Tue 29-Oct-13 19:01:46

ve got this last year and its great , waterproof and lovely and warm ( theres photo of me wearing it on my profile

Janus Tue 29-Oct-13 17:15:32

hopasholic, I do really like that barbour but it says it's not waterproof, have you tried it on a wet day yet? Really need something waterproof for dog walking/school runs, etc.
Thanks.

I think when it's -25 and i'm standing at the bus stop I shall be very glad i bought it...surely in Fort Mac you'd be wearing it from Nov-Mar at least ?

like Moose says - when it's really cold you don't really care what you look like. The only bits showing are your eyes anyway, and we all look the same!

elskovs Tue 29-Oct-13 13:56:39

I agree re the Canada Goose. Its TOO warm for all but the coldest days.

Also, I could never be sure if the DC were warm enough. I like to wear slightly less than them, so I know if they are cold.

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock Tue 29-Oct-13 13:38:00

I think the words 'hood' and 'stylish' are mutually exclusive, TBH. Sorry, not helpful...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now