Style inspiration for cyclist/outdoors

(10 Posts)
FragileTitanium Sun 27-Oct-13 14:28:24

Hi
I'm in a rut and feel fat and frumpy. Does anyone have any advice/inspiration for stylish clothes that fit my active lifestyle. I cycle or walk absolutely everywhere (school run, into town, etc, etc). Lately, all I've been wearing are jeans, jumper, trainers/boots and, if raining, a navy rain jacket. Boring!

I love cashmere (who doesn't), tweed, and classic styles with a twist.

Anyone with any inspiration would be great.

I'm also trying to avoid wearing exercise clothes all the time though my friend has started doing that and she does look good (i.e. just off to the gym look).

Sorry for incoherent post - am a bit knackered.

FragileTitanium Mon 28-Oct-13 06:11:30

Anyone??!

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 28-Oct-13 06:55:22

I have a similar dilemma and often end up wearing skater dresses from People Tree or Hush with thick leggings and low heeled biker boots. However I am currently lusting after some Nike x liberty high tops. Think they will be very cool and comfy.
http://www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/categorylist/dept/womenswear_shoes

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 28-Oct-13 06:57:33

sorry have re read your message and seen the bit about classic tweedy style. Sorry, not sure I can help you with that (less classic, more wannabe!)

BikeRunSki Mon 28-Oct-13 07:06:00

Try Howies and Patagonia. Howies is casual outdoorsy and mountain bike/running kit. Patagonia is outdoor kit and a bit of travel wear. Patagonia is v pricey, but their stuff is really well made, lasts forever, looks good and performs brilliantly.
Timberland?
Gear for Girls
Gap is great for variations on jeans and jumpers.

www.vulpine.cc/ (expensive though!)

BikeRunSki Mon 28-Oct-13 07:10:32

For tweedy style, Ness, and there is always Boden for tweed and cashmere.

chartreuse Mon 28-Oct-13 07:58:27

Avid cyclist DH recommends a blog called Copenhagen Cycle Chic for inspiration smile

FragileTitanium Mon 28-Oct-13 08:28:17

Thank you - all those suggestions are great! Love Copenhagen Cycle Chic. I guess it's confirmed what I kind of knew.

I've hit upon a style that suits me for riding in all weathers (skinny jeans, boots, cashmere cardi/jumper) - so I have to stick with it but vary it experimenting with fabrics, colours, scarves, accessories etc.

Doesn't help that I've put on some extra weight and now feel HUGE - so clothes feel frumpy. Will have to go back on the 5.2 diet....bore, bore,bore....

Has anyone else noticed that when you cycle, your clothes wear out SO much quicker? I get through one pair of skinny jeans every six months by cycling 1.5 hours a day.

BikeRunSki Mon 28-Oct-13 08:34:56

Yep, cycling kills jeans. Alpkit make waterrepellant jeans. Dh loves them! They feel like normal jeans, howies do some too I think, the fabric is called "Epic".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now