Upper lip hair. Aargh! Is threading any good?

(35 Posts)
needaholidaynow Sun 27-Oct-13 10:42:41

Don't know if this is something to do with having a baby in the last year, but the hair above my lip is definitely a lot more noticeable now. It's blonde but its like having a blonde moustache! sad And then when I'm wearing make up its even more noticeable.

I'm sick of it now. Is threading any good for getting rid of upper lip hair? I get my eyebrows threaded and my eyebrows always look really good afterwards, and the hairs take about a month to start poking through again. I was just worried that the hairs on my upper lip would grow back thicker and darker if I get them threaded. Does this happen?

I have looked at laser treatment and its about £200 a £300, which is pretty expensive and will take me a few months to save up for. I just need a solution for the time being!

Pippinlongsocks Sun 27-Oct-13 11:24:24

You could have it waxed, it will get thinner over time that way and usually takes about a month to come back. You can buy facial waxing strips so I am thinking of giving that a go as cheaper than getting it done at the beauticians. I have found that effective in it just not being there any more. No experience of threading unfortunately.

notapizzaeater Sun 27-Oct-13 11:29:01

You need a spring ! Search on eBay for threading and it's a a spring, costs a couple of quid - love mine

minibmw2010 Sun 27-Oct-13 11:29:46

Threading on upper lip is effective but sooooooo painful! Also each Romeo get spots so it puts me off I'm afraid. I think I'd be more willing to go with waxing as it's quicker.

minibmw2010 Sun 27-Oct-13 11:33:21

Where the feck did Romeo come into it? Flipping spellcheck ..

uggmum Sun 27-Oct-13 11:36:20

I would either go for threading or waxing.

I tried immac this morning, I've had a reaction to it. My face is bright red and swollen and I will not be able to leave the house for days!

I am now in hiding.

NigellasGhost Sun 27-Oct-13 11:45:36

Threading. I had it waxed for years and I am certain waxing has caused some broken capilliaries. The getting thinner over time thing is a myth IME and in anycase, if it's true of waxing it will be true of threading as the principal is the same - i.e. ripping hair out from roots.

Re. spots, I used to get tiny little pimples sometimes after threading, but can honestly say that hardly happens at all now. It was as if it took a few goes for my skin to get used to being threaded, if that makes sense.

Hopasholic Sun 27-Oct-13 11:46:33

Get an cold flannel on it uggmum. Maybe try putting flannel in the freezer for a few minutes to get it cold. Don't use the after care cream which comes with it, I find that it's that that makes it worse.

SundaySimmons Sun 27-Oct-13 13:04:10

You can gently remove fine hair on your top life using these

www.superdrug.com/uncategorized/superdrug-3-hair-remover-mitts/invt/280956&bklist=

They do them in the pound shop and you can get ones that slip on your index finger and you gently remove hair using circular movements.

No chemicals, takes a few minutes and is very gentle.

I bought them for my daughter because I didn't want her using a razor or creams that may cause a burn.

Methe Sun 27-Oct-13 13:06:50

You need a Epistick

MrsMarigold Sun 27-Oct-13 14:43:39

I sometimes thread mine but usually I just tweeze them - where do you live? In N London it costs a fiver to get your lip threaded but be warned not all people doing it are that great.

SanctimoniousArse Sun 27-Oct-13 15:54:24

how do you use the epistick? Mine came with no instructions. And does it leave a red rash like threading and waxing?

heidipi Sun 27-Oct-13 16:08:38

I'd recommend threading - I used Veet on my blonde tache for years but it started to irritate my skin and because it all grew back at the same rate the hair was more noticeable, plus I had to do it about every 4th day. Now I get it threaded at the same time as having my eyebrows done - once a fortnight, it hurts but takes 2 mins, and have only had a couple of small.pimples. regrowth is softer and more natural looking too - not blunt like with cream. costs £7.50 to get brows and top lip done in my local Superdrug and all the ladies who do it there are really good. Only snag is that they are right by the till so you get an audience!

I've felt loads less self-conscious about it since swapping to threading and have become quite evangelical about it! grin

notapizzaeater Sun 27-Oct-13 16:29:33

I bend my epistick (or spring as I call it) and put it over the area I want to do and straighten it. No idea if that's right but it works for me ...

TessCackle Sun 27-Oct-13 16:30:40

I've just ordered the spring/epistick. Hope it works I'm contending with DP in the tache stakes right now grin

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JetJungle Sun 27-Oct-13 16:50:05

- Bend Epistick into an inverted "U"

- Place it against the hairs

- Holding the handles, twist Epistick in opposite directions

- The hairs are trapped between the tightly coiled spring which grips and removes them in one swift movement

Its a bit tricky to start, but you soon get the hang of it!

Marylou2 Sun 27-Oct-13 16:58:28

Immac facial wax strips. A good rub between your hands to warm them beforw you pull them apart. Stick on well and pull off quick! First couple of times hurts until you get the knack. Then it's 2 minutes every 2 weeks in the privacy of your bathroom and it costs next to nothing.

Milliways Sun 27-Oct-13 17:05:32

Another Epistick fan here. Waxing leaves me spotty, threading means I have to walk through town with a huge red area, I am allergic to the creams. The spring is fab.

Minshu Sun 27-Oct-13 17:46:51

Another vote for the epistick. No zits, takes less than a minute every few data to keep on top of regrowth, cheap and so much less faff than any other method.

Minshu Sun 27-Oct-13 17:47:28

*days not data blush

NigellasGhost Sun 27-Oct-13 18:05:16

I might have to give this Epistick a go!

cardoon Sun 27-Oct-13 18:19:31
SanctimoniousArse Sun 27-Oct-13 18:35:29

It doesnt seem to get them all. Do you keep going over the same bit?

cardoon Sun 27-Oct-13 18:37:46

yup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now