Milan in half term, what would you pack?

(12 Posts)
AlternativeMoniker53 Fri 25-Oct-13 14:20:16

I'm off to Milan next week for a few days with DH & 2 DC. I'm very much looking forward to it as it's the first time we're taking the children with us on a short break now that they're older and hopefully less of a handful!

DH has announced that he only wants to take carry-on luggage which scuppers me as I'm a terrible overpacker. I want to look stylish but I'm also going to be trecking around town, keeping an eye on the children etc. what would you pack? I'm thinking wear skinny jeans, high heeled ankle boots, leather jacket on plane, pack a dress, flats, tops? What are they wearing on the streets of Milan?!?

polyhymnia Fri 25-Oct-13 14:39:59

I go to Milan quite a lot and would say your ideas sound fine. I wouldn't personally go for high heeled boots as I always like to do lots of walking there -there's lots to see as well as the shops - but fine if you can manage them.

I'd say the most seen style there is understated, quite classic, chic (designer jeans, cashmere, Tods, etc)as in Paris, but you'll actually see quite a range of styles so wear what you feel good in and would wear in any other major city.
I usually find 2 pairs of good jeans and a few different tops plus a scarf and necklace or two are fine. With trench or leather jacket. Enjoy.

AlternativeMoniker53 Fri 25-Oct-13 15:00:03

Frequent visitor to Milan! Lucky you! Thanks a lot, that's what I need to know, so classy rather than flashy? What about in the evening? Would jeans get you into a cocktail bar or smart restaurant?

I live in Milan. Yes, jeans will get you in a cocktail bar, perhaps not in a supersmart restaurant.

AlternativeMoniker53 Fri 25-Oct-13 15:17:03

Ooh Franca, just the person! Please could I bother you further? Would my adult-sized teenage children be allowed into or preferably outside, weather permitting, many bar-type places? I was thinking for aperitifs.

How old are they? Yes, I am sure they will!

AlternativeMoniker53 Fri 25-Oct-13 17:23:22

DD will be 13 while we're there, DS is 14.5 and over 6 foot of comically teenage blond lankiness!

Awwww grin. They'll be fine, lots of parents takes children of all ages for aperitifs in italy!

Take of course

AlternativeMoniker53 Sat 26-Oct-13 13:04:10

Thank you! I'm getting so excited now!!!

googietheegg Sat 26-Oct-13 18:55:23

For packing, I'd deffo plan a colour scheme so that everything goes together. My personal fave is grey, navy and denim, then add flashes of olive green/bright red with scarves, jewellery etc.

Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now