Quick question! Salt-free shampoo/cond at Boots??

(12 Posts)
neveragainsept Thu 24-Oct-13 08:48:27

Have ordered the brazilian keratin kit off amazon and now need a salt-free shampoo and conditioner. I'm headed to Boots this morning and have gift vouchers so would like to buy there. Can I get this from Boots? Which one is best?

MsBouvier Thu 24-Oct-13 09:36:17

I am currently using Philip Kingsley shampoo, which is great if your scalp is all weird and reactive like mine, but expensive. I think the L'Oreal no sulphate one for coloured hair doesn't have salt in it either. Ever riche? Ever Pure? Ever-something anyway.

RiffyWammal Thu 24-Oct-13 10:56:26

I use the Tresemme Keratin shampoo & conditioner that I got in Boots. Works well, but be prepared for lack of foam - I think all the salt-free shampoos will be the same in that respect.

Good luck with the keratin kit by the way, I used it t'other week and it's FAB! Before and after pics on my profile. smile

AngieM2 Thu 24-Oct-13 17:43:29

Tresemme Keratin for me. I used the shampoo thats recommended with the brazillian kit but it drove my scalp mad with itchiness - no such prob with the Tresemme and I find it foams up fine (though I put a big dolllop on).

FreshBloodandGutsLeticia Thu 24-Oct-13 20:28:53

Tresemme naturals here.
Body shop shampoos are salt-free I think

nobodysfool Fri 25-Oct-13 08:43:04

I use the 'naked' range. Fab stuff and doesn't leave my hair greasy like some of the other brands and I'm on month 4 of my treatment and still no frizz.

Fugacity Fri 25-Oct-13 08:48:14

What is wrong with salt?

RiffyWammal Fri 25-Oct-13 11:26:33

Fugacity if you use shampoos containing salt after having the keratin straightening treatment, the keratin is stripped back out.

Fugacity Fri 25-Oct-13 13:07:32

Salt, presumably sodium chloride, is washed out of the hair. It is very stable, so it's hard to see how it could possibly react with anything.

What is the chemical mechanism involved?

MsBouvier Sat 26-Oct-13 22:59:24

Well, isn't salt water quite corrosive? You know, causes rust, etc.

dimsum123 Sun 27-Oct-13 05:58:16

Riffy your hair looks AMAZING!

Fugacity Sun 27-Oct-13 14:28:23

Salt doesn't cause rust. That would be oxygen and water. The presence of sodium and chloride ions speeds up rusting however.

But your hair isn't made of metal, and salt doesn't contribute to cuticle raising. Besides, shampoo is a wash off substance, so is maybe in contact with the hair for 2 minutes.

The biggest chemical effect on cuticles is pH, with acidic conditioners being the best for smoothing out the hair shaft.

Oooo - acid! Chemical alert!

Salt is added to shampoos to increase the viscosity. If they don't use salt for this, what do they use? They will need to use something. A simple surfactant preparation with some conditioning agents and imageries will pour through your fingers and down the drain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now