Saving nice clothes for best - why can't I kick this habit?

(47 Posts)
freddiefrog Wed 23-Oct-13 13:05:28

I've been making a concerted effort lately to wear all the clothes in my wardrobe, and stop saving stuff that I think is "nice" for best, as I just ended up with a wardrobe full of clothes I didn't wear, but I'm failing miserably

I like clothes and I do try to make an effort every day, but I'd find myself discounting new/nicer items of clothing because I wasn't going out that day, or if I was, I didn't deem it somewhere good enough to wear the nicer clothes to iyswim.

I also feel odd in skirts and dresses, I feel uncomfortable and a bit overdressed. I see people all the time pulling off casual skirts and dresses, so I don't know why I feel so done up in them

So today, I've forced myself into a skirt and a new(ish) Whistles jumper (that's been hanging in my wardrobe unworn for 6 months) but I'm sitting here at my computer feeling a knob, as I'm not going out today other than to do the school run later. It looks fine. I like it, I just feel overdressed in it and I'm so tempted to go and put my jeans on to do the school run later

How can I get out of this mindset?

SoldeInvierno Wed 23-Oct-13 18:30:12

I am just the opposite. When I buy something new, I can't wait to wear it. Sometimes I have even got changed at the shop after paying for it. So I dress up every day, or try to, and on Sundays I dress down. I dont do school runs and I work in an office, so I suppose that makes things easier. But even when I did school runs, I did the same. Classic but well thought. I don't care if people look me up and down. They soon get bored and move on

freddiefrog Wed 23-Oct-13 19:00:31

I think the problem is I buy clothes I like but which don't really reflect the lifestyle I have!

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Nothing I own is particularly dressy or smart, but we have a very relaxed lifestyle and none of these "best" occasions I'm saving stuff for actually happen and I struggle to make myself wear it anyway.

Hopasholic Wed 23-Oct-13 19:27:36

I do it too blush I am sat here in a vile boxy jumper from next which is two sizes too big but only the kids were going to see me today so I didn't want to wear my lovely new tops and jumpers! I have good jeans though but they're my old 'save for best Hudson ones' which I now chuck on most days when i'm off and leave the new velvet mini/cord A-line & tweed kilt hanging up waiting for................... Who knows?

So why are tights more of an effort than jeans? They're not really are they they just seem to be smile

easypeeler Wed 23-Oct-13 19:39:48

I echo freddiefrog's thoughts. I keep buying office/smart work wear and I'm a housewife who loves gardening and watching tv - go figure! blush

ISingSoprano Wed 23-Oct-13 19:46:14

I used to do this but had a bit of an epiphany a couple of years ago when I realised how much money I had spent on clothes which just sat in the wardrobe. I now make a concerted effort to wear more of my clothes more often.

easypeeler Wed 23-Oct-13 19:52:07

So - what are we wearing right now? I'm in M&S bootcut jeans, a shocking pink top which I wore with a navy cardi earlier but have now swapped the cardi for a Mantaray hoodie. Not sure why I didn't keep the cardi on, the hoodie is covered in cat hair confused

im the same as fuckit Im trying to change my wardrobe so that everything I own is good quality/ 'best' and then I have the more formal/ fancy going out clothes as well.

I generally wear skinny jeans on a daily basis. Ive got a 'round the house' pair and a smarter pair. Then I wear my different tops/ jumpers which are starting to all be 'best'

Im a SAHM so used to feel I didnt have anything to dress up for but actually even if I just go to a childrens group it makes me feel better if my clothes look good (my bloody hair is another story though!)

freddiefrog Wed 23-Oct-13 20:03:32

Right now?

I had a bath a little while ago and after a day of feeling trussed up in tights, a disgustingly ancient pair of tracksuit bottoms and an equally ancient yellow Animal hoodie

Earlier it was a black miniskirt from Zara, a dark grey Whistles jumper, thick black tights and flat loafers

freddiefrog Wed 23-Oct-13 20:21:24

Im a SAHM so used to feel I didnt have anything to dress up

That's exactly it. I don't deem any of the stuff I do worthy of a new jumper from Whistles, especially if I'm home all day and only DH, the kids and the odd cat is going to see me in it

I too have been slowly replacing some of the stuff in my wardrobe with better quality stuff 'best' but I keep falling back to the old 'keep for best' mindset. I should chuck out the old stuff as I buy new but I'm kidding myself that I'm keeping it for decorating/gardening

easypeeler Wed 23-Oct-13 20:24:46

Yep - right now! grin fess up!

freddiefrog Wed 23-Oct-13 20:25:04

Actually, I think I might do that tomorrow morning. Chuck it all out, then I can't be tempted to slope back into the old stuff

bonzo77 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:25:47

i do this. I realised that I buy stuff I look nice in and I like the idea of, but somehow are not quite comfy enough or practical. My tactic is to buy better versions of what I love, so Superdry hoodies instead of ones from the boys section in H&M, jeans from top shop or levis, or designer instead of new look, trainers nike, vivabarefoot instead of adidas, boots from ugg not rocketdog. I am warmer, smarter and often more comfortable, without leaving my comfort zone.

easypeeler Wed 23-Oct-13 20:26:25

I think chucking out the minging stuff is a great tip. I'll join you in that! No manky clothes means I'll have to look presentable.

Missbopeep Wed 23-Oct-13 20:28:30

oh me too! My clothes are never ever worn out- they are out of fashion long before then!
I tend to under dress and don't know why!
I don't have many clothes at all, and now avoid buying dressy dresses because I don't have the lifestyle to wear them. I have a dress that is now 2 years old and unworn- I like it but am keeping it for 'best' even though it's just a nice plain knitted dress.
I think one reason for this is that so many people are uber casual and if I wear something I consider slightly smart, I feel out of place.

Monty27 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:34:16

Oh thank the lord I'm not the only one shock!! I promise myself that when I buy something, something goes, I pick something to go, and then put it back for wearing indoors or the supermarket! hmm

right now im in my new Next pjs grin

but today I was wearing skinny jeans and a white patterned blouse with buttons all the way up the back. Its not ott but a more 'done up' casual and all ive done today is nursery run and my mum and sister came round.

QueenCadbury Wed 23-Oct-13 20:47:25

This is exactly me too. I have got better though as there was a thread like this a few months ago and someone said how the school run etc is as good it gets so we may as well make the most of it.

I also love this pin!

It's easier in summer to wear 'best' clothes I think. In winter people only see your coat on the school run so you can be wearing any old crap underneath grin.

easypeeler Wed 23-Oct-13 20:55:31

I have been known to get the Sunday papers in jeans with a hoodie over my pyjama top - and yes that means no bra and yesterday's pants blush

QueenCadbury Wed 23-Oct-13 21:02:17

Doesn't everyone do that easy? I certainly do!

freddiefrog Wed 23-Oct-13 21:09:35

QueenCadbury - that pin is exactly me!!!

And yes, I agree it's easier in the summer little dresses, long casual maxi dresses and skirts and pretty tops look and I don't feel out of place

And yes, I do the same when we run out of milk on a Sunday morning - shove a hoodie and jeans over what I've slept in to run down the Co-op

I think I'm a bit spoiled now since coming on here and learning more about natural fibres and following links to good quality clothes...it means I buy less and think very carefully about wardrobe gaps. I've got a couple of event dresses now which I rarely wear but the rest of it does get worn.

I won't buy any poly mixes now, it makes me feel a bit yuck wearing them. So wool (merino) silk, cotton. I do buy quite a bit from charity shops/dress agencies but I'm getting pretty good at recognising fabric content by feel which makes things easier. At home at the moment I wear an old cashmere jumper that's a bit tatty now, and cotton or wool harem type bottoms.

I don't have many clothes but there was a thread on this earlier this year which really helped me to wear all my clothes, alter/dye any that didn't work and plan purchases carefully.

God it all sounds so boring, but it's meant I feel much more pulled together, and am building up a wardrobe that works for my life right now and all the things I do. I'm aiming for a situation where I never have to impulse buy when I'm invited out to dinner, or to a wedding, or a walk on the beach.

QueenCadbury Wed 23-Oct-13 21:28:39

bill I have built a really good wardrobe in the last 6 months since having my colours done and like you I'm trying to stop the impulse buying. I definitely now have lovely clothes for all occasions but the trouble is I save them for those occasions which rarely exist. But like I said I'm getting better. My main problem is that if I spend a lot of money on something I'm scared to ruin it by wearing it to school or toddler group but the reality is that these things should be worn more to get a better cost per wear confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now