Can I have some ideas on de-frumping myself please?

(74 Posts)
Graze8 Sun 20-Oct-13 22:31:20

I'm 5"2' and around a size 10/12. I'm 44 years old. In the winter I tend to want to hibernate and end up wearing things which are warm and comfortable but apparently this equates to frumpy. Some ideas on what to wear with a little bit of glamour but not over kill for the school run would be very appreciated. I tend to live in skinny jeans and thermal tops with big coats. Please help.

mignonnetteZOMBIEKILLEROFHQ Mon 21-Oct-13 20:54:31

Sir -

You need to look for lower rise jeans with pockets placed closer to the central seam that goes up between your butt cheeks. That'll give the illusion of a higher narrower butt and make those curves look great.

Another tip is to not wear long line tops and jackets that cover the butt and end below the tops of your thighs because they tend to accentuate the wide point of the butt. Wearing a top/cardi/jacket that ends on the butt cheek or just below the butt crease is the most flattering.

Experiment with wide leather belts worn with lower waisted pants too. If you can tuck in your tops and wear a blazer/jacket/cardigan over, you will create a lovely line.

Sailor cut pants in dark navy wool would look good too. Wear them on the hip with a louse gauzy shirt and shorter jacket (that falls between the waist and top of thigh) or a slouchy sweater (not too big) just cut across the shoulder (bateau neckline) to balance the butt and waist.

SirChenjin Mon 21-Oct-13 21:05:07

Thanks Mignon, that's brilliant. Your last paragraph makes absolute sense - I tend to wear things like that for work, but I live in skinnies outside of work and feel I haven't go things quite right. Don't suppose you've got a minute to post a link to a couple of things I might wear with skinnies, do you? smile

mignonnetteZOMBIEKILLEROFHQ Mon 21-Oct-13 21:21:52

This kind of top can be worn w/ a blazer or jacket by day and with trousers at night on its own. It is the right length and shade.

A tweedy edge to edge jacket like this is the new modern way to wear jeans as style editors are encouraging jeans wearers to go smart with what they wear with them.

This shirt is really cool and is styled w/ skinnies on the website. Wear a longer length skinny tank underneath and you'll get a nice graduated line from behind.

Look for similar shirts or blouses in a small dot print. Not large polka dots. Bottle green, navy, burgundy and cream look good.

I'll post more tomorrow. What stores do you shop in so I get the budget right?

SirChenjin Mon 21-Oct-13 21:43:29

Thanks so much smile. Love the pink top, not so keen on the grey jacket or checked shirt but get where you are going with them. Budget is limited - Uniqlo/H&M type of thing. I shop at a brilliant outlet and love Ness, Fat Face (FF's smarter stuff, if that makes sense?), White Stuff and Boden. I absolutely do not do 'tarty' or high heels as everyday footwear, so if it's seen on Abbie Clancy types it's not seen on me!

mignonnetteZOMBIEKILLEROFHQ Mon 21-Oct-13 22:53:27

Keep an eye out for the shape and style as opposed to the colour and pattern of what I linked to. I've got some idea of what you like now so will do a proper post tmrw with some better links. smile

Graze8 Tue 22-Oct-13 00:40:09

Thank you Mignonette. I have just ordered the warehouse jacket and also a few new tops. grin

mignonnetteZOMBIEKILLEROFHQ Tue 22-Oct-13 09:46:01

Yay! Well done Graze.

BerryBlast Tue 22-Oct-13 17:14:44

TJH1 I have no self esteem problems at all, so won't need to be working on them! Why do you think I do? As I said in my post - not all women are like this - but some are and imo you are being naive if you don't realise it happens. I will forearm my DD to this trait amongst "some" women if I want to and no "random" person on the internet will instruct me on what is the best way to guide my DD.

TJH1 Tue 22-Oct-13 17:31:36

Righto Berry

Mummyoftheyear Tue 22-Oct-13 17:32:37

Cool coat (Zara's are warm and more fitted) and cool leather knee-high boots. Sorted.

BerryBlast Tue 22-Oct-13 17:47:43

smile

TJH1 Tue 22-Oct-13 17:54:55

Berry I didn't mean to come across as rude, sorry

PervCat Wed 23-Oct-13 07:08:43

Think the op is incredibly naive about women "being unkind to each other"

SirChenjin Wed 23-Oct-13 10:39:22

You don't think women can be unkind to each other?

LonelyGoatherd Wed 23-Oct-13 10:42:36

I am going for the great coat to cover everything else up approach, and good boots too. Plus quick bit of make up makes a big difference.

polyhymnia Wed 23-Oct-13 15:29:17

I would personally avoid any effect that actually looks like 'quite a bit of make-up' - very aging, IMO. Not saying don't wear make up if you want just think it's better to keep it subtle.

SirChenjin Wed 23-Oct-13 15:36:50

Lonely said "quick bit" rather than quite a bit (if it was her post you were referring to?) smile

polyhymnia Wed 23-Oct-13 15:59:31

Oh gosh, sorry - should read posts properly before commenting! Too much make up is a particular bugbear of mine but she wasn't advocating that anyway. Apologies!

SirChenjin Wed 23-Oct-13 16:51:16

I had visions of something like this grin

Graze8 Wed 23-Oct-13 19:25:05

Quite excited. Just bought a dark red blazer in Esprit with leather detailing. Will hopefully add a bit of colour and defrump me.

easypeeler Wed 23-Oct-13 19:53:03

Well done Graze8 - any ideas on what you'll wear it with?

Graze8 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:33:58

Probably still with my skinny jeans grin.

easypeeler Wed 23-Oct-13 20:58:48

No top underneath? shock

That's very unfrumpy grin

mikeysmum27 Wed 23-Oct-13 21:39:37

I'm 29, mum of a 16 moth old and already feel frumpy. I wear the same stuff all the time, (moneys tight) and even when its not I have no idea what to get that wont make me look like I've been shopping with a blindfold on..I always have my hair the same way too. Talk about stuck in a rut. If I could sew Id knock up my own stuff but putting a button back on a shirt is about the extent of my abilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now