If you are in a job where you are on your feet all day, please can you tell me what shoes you wear?

(29 Posts)
Ladyface Sun 20-Oct-13 14:51:47

Just that really. I have started a new job where I am standing up all day and I was wearing these www.marksandspencer.com/Collection-Leather-Patent-Finish-Dolly/dp/B00D00ZWUU?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-1&qid=1382276617 but after 7 hours the soles of my feet were pretty sore.

Of course it could be the fact that I am usually sitting on my bottom all day not standing or walking as much. grin

Will I get used to the shoes or can anyone recommend anything comfortable? Something reasonable stylish would be good.

Ladyface Sun 20-Oct-13 14:53:38

They need to be black and I guess flat or low heel.

OoozingCervix Sun 20-Oct-13 14:56:24

crocs. sorry. not stylish but comfortable. and you can lob them in the washing machine if you accidentally step in placenta.

ArtemisatBrauron Sun 20-Oct-13 15:50:54

heels...always heels grin I walk to work, stand for up to 5 hours at a time and walk across a large campus between classes. But I refuse to give up my heels!

Madlizzy Sun 20-Oct-13 15:56:40

www.clarks.co.uk/p/20306639 This sort of thing really. Or black trainers. Heels for 8 hours on your feet every day will bugger up your feet and your back.

gwencooper81 Sun 20-Oct-13 16:06:04

I wear plain black trainers. Tried converse type ones but found them too flat, something with a bit of 'bounce ' in keeps me going - yes I realise that makes me sound like I take drugs -

Converse

pegster Sun 20-Oct-13 16:16:12

I wear FitFlop black shoes, really comfy

How formal do you need to be?

For long standing/walking the crucial things are cushioning, a supportive footbed and a leetle bit of a heel (1in or so).

Clarks do loads of that kind of thing.
I also have wedges from FlyLondon which are super comfortable.
And, interestingly, a really well made pair of heeled loafers from Russell&Bromley which are far amazingly comfortable for long periods of time.

Make sure whatever shoe you buy is not just long enough, but also wide enough for prolonged standing.

duckyfuzz Sun 20-Oct-13 17:06:37

these are v comfy

Sleeptimenow Sun 20-Oct-13 17:11:01

I second crocs, very practical and so comfy, plus washable (essential when getting splattered by bodily fluids).they do some that look like ballet shoes if you aren't into the clog style. For something a bit less hospital used to have a pair of lace up leather Ecco shoes, yes a bit grandma ish but very supportive and bouncy and also wide enough to loosen laces when feet swell up towards end of shift.

Also used to use orthotic inserts (from boots) in shoes to help give my arches more support.

I wear Dr Martins Cesca shoes, they are very comfy.

Allinafankle Sun 20-Oct-13 18:17:49

I can't find these on the UK site but I bought them at Bluewater a couple of weeks ago and they are oh so comfy! This coming from a women who hate hate hates buying shoes because they always hurt me!
www.skechers.com/style/48905/relaxed-fit-bikers-melodic/blk

MrsFlintLockwood Sun 20-Oct-13 18:30:39

Another Skechers fan here. They are much more substantial than cheap ballet flats but some black or goldy designs look quite smart (I use the ones with straps)

Ladyface Sun 20-Oct-13 18:32:24

They have to be formal so no trainers or crocs or shoes with rubber soles. I am working in a shop so hopefully there won't be any bodily fluids or placentas grin

Ladyface Sun 20-Oct-13 18:33:29

I will check out Clarks. Thanks for all your replies!

I think this does smart and rubber sole quite well

No really, avoid hard 'clicky' heels, even a low one, because every step causes more impact reverberating up your legs and your back.
There are plenty of smartish, but soft options out there.

Or this kinda thing. K by Clarks can be a bit frumpy, but I take frump over pain any day of the week grin.

I have these in black patent - v comfy.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

PervCat Sun 20-Oct-13 18:49:14

do you want heels? Clarks Kendra all teh way

I am lusting after these at the mo but cannot justify the price tag <sigh>

ReluctantBeing Sun 20-Oct-13 19:00:25

Doc Martens.

GobblersKnob Sun 20-Oct-13 19:02:41

I wear Converse or Dr Martens.

Hopasholic Sun 20-Oct-13 21:31:13

I wear the first ones Pacific linked. I stand from 9-5 and they are comfy. I can't wear flats and these work ok with skirts and opaques or trousers. Not the most stylish footwear in the world but there's nothing worse thn uncomfortable shoes! I walk about a lot too and they have a bit of 'bounce'

Hopasholic Sun 20-Oct-13 21:33:50

I love those you're lusting after pacific had my eye on them but I think they might be a tad too high sad

Clarks Unloop are the most comfortable shoes ever and look fine with trousers. www.clarks.co.uk/p/20312837

PervCat Mon 21-Oct-13 08:41:36

Fuck. Not those. Cornish pastiea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now