What to wear to dh's 40th bday party.. In an east London bar

(58 Posts)
Spink Sat 19-Oct-13 15:45:51

...I want to look relaxed & not too try hard, but also want the outfit to be 'special enough'.
I'm 5'9 & a size 14, legs prob my best feature, not so good belly or arm tops. Help please!

Spink Sat 19-Oct-13 17:10:50

BUMP!!!

MasterOfTheYoniverse Sat 19-Oct-13 17:20:26

Sexy lingerie and killer heels?
Very helpful?

casacastille Sat 19-Oct-13 17:21:32

To a bar I'd probably wear some smart skinny jeans (coated perhaps, black or dark blue). I love this top but maybe not special enough?

Spink Sat 19-Oct-13 17:26:53

casacastille that's funny, I had shortlisted that very top smile but in that colour it isn't in stock in my size. I wondered whether I could carry out the chartreuse version...
and MofYoniverse grin oh yes will have those for the hotel afterwards! It is the looking ok in public that I need help with...

casacastille Sat 19-Oct-13 17:31:06

I think it's lovely. That chartreuse colour would look terrible on me but if you have the right skin tone it'll look fab.

rootypig Sat 19-Oct-13 17:34:18

Ooh which bar <nosy>

Spink Sat 19-Oct-13 17:59:44

ha, I am completely rubbish at knowing what will look good on me so might just order it and see...
rootypig it's the Book Club

Spink Sat 19-Oct-13 18:03:11

what about this oneblack peplum

CursiveLetters Sun 20-Oct-13 15:52:11

Some variety of black skinny jeans with an oversized sparkly top like this http://www.polyvore.com/nwt_208_womens_white_silver/thing?id=66511535 or this https://dtpmhvbsmffsz.cloudfront.net/posts/2013/05/12/51904c6920b85f79db031ccb/s_51904c6f20b85f79db031cde.jpg

For shoes you could wear really any kind of black heel or boot

Spink Sun 20-Oct-13 16:49:17

Thanks cursive though sequinned tops have never really been my friend - I am fairly broad shouldered & somehow they tend to magnify that & make me look really... wide. Never a good thing.

rootypig Mon 21-Oct-13 00:23:42

ooh I love that place, a friend had her 30th there.

I would say jumpsuit (but that is my answer to everything)

Spink Mon 21-Oct-13 19:07:42

I've never in my adult life worn a jumpsuit. But I am intrigued... so tell me, why are they your answer to everything? And is any of the stuff up thread bookclub type clothing?

rootypig Mon 21-Oct-13 19:25:28

They are my answer to everything because they are as simple as a dress for getting dressed, iyswim - just one piece - but I prefer the more masculine feel. I have a Reiss black silk one that is about five years old - among others - and I looooove it. When my dad first saw it he like like confused - 'where is your plane!' He thought I looked like a mechanic grin

But I digress. The point is, I think, because in some sense you just throw it on, and the lack of girliness leaves space for stronger makeup, killer heels - you can go to town on your look but it's less likely you will look or feel overdone.

What is your budget? I will hunt some suggestions for you grin

rootypig Mon 21-Oct-13 19:27:04
29chapel Mon 21-Oct-13 19:29:30

Agree with Rootypig - Got a great one from Topshop recently - plain black. Looks fabulous with heels and a big necklace.

Spink Mon 21-Oct-13 19:39:34

Ok, (getting a bit excited) I like the sound of that- I am drawn to dresses for their ease but often feel too twee girly in them, not in a good way. I thought you had to be super slim to pull off a jumpsuit tho?
I reckon I could go up to £100, cos I'd spend that on a separate top & trousers- so the Topshop one could work.

UnexpectedFrightInShaggingArea Mon 21-Oct-13 19:42:43

If you have good legs you need to show them off. I am only 5'2" so am envy at your height.

Also, it's your DH's birthday, you have permission to look like you have made an effort smile

What about something like this?

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Izabel+London+Wide+collar+stripe+knit+tunic+dress/188546073,default,pd.html

UnexpectedFrightInShaggingArea Mon 21-Oct-13 19:51:03
bigbrick Mon 21-Oct-13 19:53:03

Jaeger have some great dresses - this would be nice if you like black www.johnlewis.com/jaeger-raglan-sleeve-jersey-dress-black/p643374 You could wear with sheer (more dressy)or opaque tights and suede wedges to give it a casual look.

29chapel Mon 21-Oct-13 19:53:22

Spink - there is a huge range of jumpsuits on asos too, have a look. Shit i'm now eyeing up new ones for myself dammit!

Laska42 Mon 21-Oct-13 19:55:36

Jump suits are fine but you have to get undressed in the loo.. (once wore one to a pub in the winter and then found the loo was 'outside' and unheated . A right shock to the bod as I stripped off...Never wore it again ....

hettie Mon 21-Oct-13 20:07:50

I just wore this top and some skinny coated black jeans and killer heels for a 40th... I know it has a bit of sparkle on, but it's very flattering around the waist (and a bargain)... saw some burgundy coated skinnies in M&S the other day...

rootypig Mon 21-Oct-13 20:29:07

Ha Laska the naked loo visit is definitely rather disconcerting!

Spink if I had that Toppers one (which will be fab for upper arms and the wrap flattering for stomach) and great legs I would cuff or shove up the legs and wear spiky heels.

Then go to town on either giant cuffs or necklace, nice red mouth, hair pulled back. Voila

Spink Mon 21-Oct-13 20:49:18

I think I'm going to try the topshop jumpsuit on.
The dress & top are all lovely but nothing jumps out at me. Short playsuits could be worth trying but might be a step too far out of my comfort zone!
So now suggestions for accessories please smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now