Anyone up for a challange?

(22 Posts)
Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 21:20:33

Help please! I have been invited to a works dinner where I will be receiving much more attention than I am comfortable with. I will definitely have to have photos taken for works newsletter etc.

The trouble is I am 50 years old, 5 ft 11 and size 22/24 and I hate to have my photo taken. Please help me to find an outfit that I can feel confident in.

I guess I am a slightly pear like hour glass shape with terrible legs and upper arms. I prefer strong or dark colours - suit navy. Usually like reds and purples but I blush badly so might be better to avoid red based colours.

Any ideas?????

Thanks for reading

Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 21:29:37

urgh challenge thlblush

Pompbear Wed 16-Oct-13 21:55:32

Wrap dress. Have tour hair done and get a new lippy?

Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 22:05:56

I do like wrap dresses so long as the waist sits in the right place and it is long enough.
Even the Hair is problematic as the evening starts quite soon after I will finish work. A quick shower, change and make up but certainly not enough time to go to the hairdresser.

HerrenaHarridan Wed 16-Oct-13 22:23:00

I am on the larger side ( and was until recently a lot bigger)

Things to consider would be;

structured waistcoat. Brings you in round the middle and helps smooth bulges.

A swing type skirt gives you cover without creating extra inches and sits against you without clinging

Black tights. eBay have larger sizes. I buy mine from a co that goes up to a 32.

A chunky bag you can artfully hide behind if you want to wink

Fwiw I'm gay and prefer larger women so I'm not saying you should feel like you have to hide but I know from being larger that its nice to know you can.

Big shiny earrings. Also good for drawing attention and not needing lots of prep.

tethersend Wed 16-Oct-13 22:34:00

How about something like this?

Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 22:37:23

Thanks for posting HH
FWIW I'm straight but it helps to be reminded that there is more than one way to look good. There is something depressing and demening about looking better equating to being "less" sad

Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 22:40:33

Oh Tethersend that is gorgeous! Absolutely the right look BUT too small sad I just love it. Bugger.

tethersend Wed 16-Oct-13 22:43:43

Are you more of a 24? There's a 22 in the black...

tethersend Wed 16-Oct-13 22:44:16

What's your budget?

Maverick66 Wed 16-Oct-13 22:48:45

Hi , have a look on the justlastseason .co.uk web site some gorgeous things on there sorry bit of a technophobe so can't do link ;( ;(

Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 22:50:35

I am 20-22 in seperates but usually need to go up a size in a dress as I am long in my body.
Budget ? You are in the right area. Up to £200 would be ok but I would pay more to escape from feeling crap.

VegasIsBest Wed 16-Oct-13 22:55:52

Hi. Could you get your hair done at lunch time or the evening before? Also what about treating yourself to some new make-up before the do? I had a lovely make over at Bobbie brown recently and it really lifts you to know you look the best you can.

Also remember to enjoy the evening, relax and laugh lots. That will make you look better than anything in the photos.

Good luck.

Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 23:00:54

Thanks Vegas. I know that you are speaking a lot of sense. I tend to worry too much about how I look and end up completely unable to relax and enjoy the event, sad blush

Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 23:02:15

Thanks for the link Maverick - Having a look

tethersend Wed 16-Oct-13 23:03:05
Crapricorn Wed 16-Oct-13 23:07:46

Not so keen on that one. Too short and lacks the structure that I loved in your first link.

Maverick66 Wed 16-Oct-13 23:09:53

Tethersend - you're a godsend great ideas and advice always smile

tethersend Wed 16-Oct-13 23:11:44

Ah, thanks Maverick... Now watch me fuck it all up grin

There is an Eliza J dress on ebay here, although it may be too big...

tethersend Wed 16-Oct-13 23:14:09

I also like this with black opaques and heels and pearl drop earrings.

tethersend Wed 16-Oct-13 23:19:57

Black(also comes in red)

Blue (also comes in black)

Laska42 Wed 16-Oct-13 23:37:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now