Help! I need to look professional and I own no suits.

(60 Posts)

Next Friday I am going to go into a room with a copy of my thesis and let two professors tear it apart while I gibber and shake. And then hopefully they're going to tell me I have not totally failed my PhD.

Customarily I believe people wear suits to do this. Or at least something very smart.

I hate trouser suits. I look an idiot in trousers.

I would love to find something that looked a bit 1940s/vintagy - something I would actually want to wear, as opposed to 'corporate uniform' style. Like, if Vivienne Westwood made skirt suits. Which she doesn't, AFAIK. It's allowed to be a bit quirky. At this stage, desperation and the large credit card I've just been sent mean you could probably push my budget quite a long way if you show me the pretties.

I am 5'4ish, size 12/14 with about D/DD bust and a bit of tummy. Dark hair and eyes.

Any help? I am counting on your awesome wisdom.

Chubfuddler Wed 16-Oct-13 21:08:17

I'm a solicitor and I never wear suits. I only wear dresses to work, Boden is ideal if you avoid the prints.

Trills Wed 16-Oct-13 21:15:21

Do you have post-PhD boozing sorted out? Tis tres important.

Thanks chub, will have a look.

trills - I have post-PhD feminist conferencing. Same difference. grin

BOF Wed 16-Oct-13 21:35:51

I remember boozing with you, Trills grin

Trills Wed 16-Oct-13 21:41:38

A good memory I hope grin

Trills got MN boozing? envy

Right, so given that the lovely pinstripe dress won't turn up in time, and when I rang VW at Bicester they said they have jackets but no suits, I am thinking of following the suggestion for a nice dress, maybe with a smart jacket over it.

Questions (if I may, I know I am being so picky!):

- when you wear a smart jacket over a dress, do you think they ought to match in colour?
- Is black too boring?

I found this and quite like it (it came up after I looked at BOF's sites, so thanks! www.glamourbunny.co.uk/dresses?product_id=211

tethersend Thu 17-Oct-13 22:58:42

Had forgotten about Austin Reed- one or two nice bits.

This dress has a matching jacket, although is smart enough without one...

Or how about a matching waistcoat and skirt over a pussybow blouse?

tethersend Thu 17-Oct-13 22:59:33

Dress and jacket don't necessarily need to match

Black is a bit boring, but could work if the cut is good.

Trills Fri 18-Oct-13 00:17:52

I just boozed and then came onto MN - anyone who happened to be online got to laugh at me grin

Thanks tethers.

And I'll go look at the Austin Reed, thanks!

trills - ahh, I see. grin Sounds fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now