My quest for quality clothing.... at high street prices? Should I just give up now?

(60 Posts)
RainbowBob Mon 14-Oct-13 20:56:12

I have just bought yet another item from H&M which has, after two wears, come apart at the seams. And before you say "oh, poor woman must be deluding herself she is three dress sizes smaller than she actually is" - it's an oversized jumper and wasn't even vaguely tight... so it's just crap quality. End of.

I am fed up with buying large quantities of cheap, poor quality stuff. So ....where on earth do you buy good quality clothes at reasonable prices? I suppose what I am really looking for is good value....

On my wish list is a slouchy jumper/jumper dress (to replace tattered old H&M one), a coat and possibly a day dress. But just your general opinions on where to get some decent quality garments for under £100 (or even £50) would make me eternally grateful.

Mynameismina Wed 16-Oct-13 11:42:51

What about This

Sthingmustbescaringthemaway Wed 16-Oct-13 12:17:04

thlblush

Happy to be of service. If you find anything nice on eBay do please say. I have kept a cowardly distance so far....

In the meantime you might have fun taking a look :

Here

Here

And here

Don't be alarmed! These are places where it really, truly is worth waiting for their pretty damned amazing sales. And, honestly, if you take to this way of life (...) you will never look at your high Street in the same way again. And you won't care what your friends, or school mums, or your colleagues are wearing - because you'll be in your own little wardrobe bubble. (It does help if you don't mind other people occasionally looking at you funny....)

eurochick Wed 16-Oct-13 12:26:24

I have got some lovely things (including cashmere jumpers) from flashsale sites like Vente Privee.

I have recently rediscovered Benetton. I hadn't been in there is years but they had some lovely jumpers for good prices (they have a website if there isn't one near you - lots seem to have closed).

Aquelven Wed 16-Oct-13 14:38:26

Woolovers sizing...do what they tell you to in their catalogue. Find a favourite jumper you own & love the fit of, lay it on a flat surface & measure it with a tape measure across the back, just under the arm holes. For all their stock they give you this exact measurement, in inches, so you just need to buy the size that measures the same as your favourite. Fail safe grin

Another source of great stuff is factory outlets. Depending on where you live, I live in the north where there are amazing outlet shops attached to the actual mills that sell things they manufacture at a fraction of retail cost. I've bought cashmere jumpers for under £30, woollen jackets, raincoats, allsorts. Best buy ever was a pure cashmere, full length cashmere coat, with a silk lining that had "Harrods" embroidered repeatedly in the design of the lining. That was from a factory that produced garments for top department stores. Another near us sells, just twice a year, fabric by the yard that they make for the top designers, but if course you have to make the clothes yourself.

Fairyliz Wed 16-Oct-13 17:36:37

Ebay, I have just realised that 50% of my clothes are from there. You will be amazed at the number of people who buy things wear once and then sell.

harbinger Wed 16-Oct-13 18:19:11

Aquelven I'd be very interested in a list of the mills that have factory shops (I only know the John Smedley at New Mills, Derbyshire).

Also, as I'm getting better at dressmaking, the fabric mill/sale. I would love to get my hands on some wool/tweed at a reasonable price grin

Sthingmustbescaringthemaway Wed 16-Oct-13 18:27:05

harbinger You took the words right out of mouth.thlgrin

Aquelven Wed 16-Oct-13 18:45:58
Sthingmustbescaringthemaway Wed 16-Oct-13 18:50:06

Thanks!

harbinger Wed 16-Oct-13 20:08:09

Ooh, thanks. Will have a look. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now