What do you think a 6 year old girl should wear to a funeral?

(22 Posts)
MrsRogerSterling Sun 13-Oct-13 20:36:31

My Granny died last week, the funeral is this week and dd1 is coming with me. What should she wear? She has dresses but nothing black or even navy. She has black tights and knee boots. Should I buy her a black dress? Would you expect a child to wear black at a funeral. If so can anyone find a dress that I can go out and buy tomorrow? She has this and most of her other dresses sweater or summer dresses.

YDdraigGoch Sun 13-Oct-13 20:38:58

I don't think children need to be in black at a funeral. I would put her in a nice dress - though obvs not a party frock!

babybarrister Sun 13-Oct-13 20:42:00

I put DS in smart outfit ie shirt, jacket and nice trousers - nothing was black or navy and it was fine. It was all rather blue or brown FWIW!

PigeonPie Sun 13-Oct-13 20:42:10

I was going to say a nice pretty dress too. I agree that children don't need to be in black.

obviouslyneedsupernanny Sun 13-Oct-13 20:42:18

I don't the one you linked is fine.

PigeonPie Sun 13-Oct-13 20:42:35

Sorry for your loss by the way.

OddBoots Sun 13-Oct-13 20:42:37

It doesn't need to be black but she might feel out of place in anything too bright. There are some nice things in the shops if you feel up to shopping, maybe something like this?

lurkingaround Sun 13-Oct-13 20:43:13

Sorry to hear about your Granny.

I don't think anyone would expect navy or black necessarily. I know when my Dad died, the grandchildren wore 'something nice', whatever was their 'best'. And they all looked appropriate. Added a nice bit of colour to a sad occasion, sort of reminded us to celebrate his life.

dementedma Sun 13-Oct-13 20:44:10

School uniform?

Definitely not black for a child, the dress you linked looks lovely, hope it all goes well. flowers

cherrytomato40 Sun 13-Oct-13 20:46:08

Just a nice dress, the one you linked to is fine. Sorry for your loss.

Chewbecca Sun 13-Oct-13 20:47:50

Sorry for your loss.
Something like this might be nice and useful after too, plus you can do a click and collect for ease.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 13-Oct-13 20:50:14

Sorry to hear that. Not black (I'd even say that even / especially if she had a black dress already) just something smart.

TreTops Sun 13-Oct-13 20:51:28

I agree that children are not really expected to wear black for a funeral. I would say anything as long as it not jeans (although I would say dark jean are ok for a boy) if you want to get something in a darker colour then this would be good in either navy spot or black and white stripe

MrsKoala Sun 13-Oct-13 20:54:36

Sorry for your loss. I don't think you need black personally, but if the dress you linked is the bright pink 'fun jersey dress' i wouldn't put her in that either. Sorry. I would go with a plainer more muted dress. Like this with a long sleeved t-shirt under and a cardi over with some navy tights and dark shoes.

MrsKoala Sun 13-Oct-13 20:55:54

Oh i really like the one TreTops linked actually.

EspressoMonkey Sun 13-Oct-13 21:03:28

DD (4) went to the funeral of a close family member a couple of weeks ago, she wore this from John Lewis. Everybody commented on how lovely she looked. TBH smart and neat is good enough. And WARM, the church was very cold and there was quite a bit of hanging about outside. I put a long sleeve t under this dress.

MrsRogerSterling Sun 13-Oct-13 21:05:11

Thanks everyone, I'm glad it doesn't need to be black as on children it's not a colour I would choose. I am in town tomorrow and think I will have a look at the stripy dress TreTops suggested.

MrsRogerSterling Sun 13-Oct-13 21:06:30

That's a lovely dress EspressoMonkey

magso Sun 13-Oct-13 21:37:26

At a family funeral a few years ago, many of the children wore some variation of their school uniforms - since that was smart and dark.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 13-Oct-13 22:04:13

anything she wants!

kaumana Sun 13-Oct-13 23:08:53

At my mum's funeral my DS wore a kilt (in Scotland) and his friends wore their uniform, girls and boys.

I wouldn't necessarily go down the black route, a nice dress is fine.

Sorry for your loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now