Mulberry style handbag on a budget

(31 Posts)
Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 14:12:37

Hello style gurus, I hope you can help me.

My lovely sister-in-law is due to turn 30. She has just gone back to work after having her first baby and I thought I would get her a nice handbag for work. My brother tells me she has always wanted a mulberry bag but they are way out of my price range - my budget is more like £2

Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 14:15:05

That's £200 obviously, stupid phone!

So can I get an executive-looking posh handbag for £200, and where? I think she would like something very classic, she is a classy girl. I was thinking black or dark brown.

I'd really appreciate some help, she's a doll and I'd like to get her something she'd like.

Thanks in advance!

littlemissnormal Sun 13-Oct-13 14:18:50
Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 14:21:42

Ooooh that was quick! And v nice! I was maybe thinking about something a bit bigger though....

Might get that one for me!!

littlemissnormal Sun 13-Oct-13 14:23:52

There are loads of nice smart totes on the House of Fraser website.

Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 14:25:38

There are, aren't there!

You're a genius, thank you!

littlemissnormal Sun 13-Oct-13 14:27:37

I want the Vivienne Westwood one!

Ilovebreakfast Sun 13-Oct-13 14:45:32

Hobbs?

MissDD1971 Sun 13-Oct-13 15:16:04

my next bag in that price range (or spend a bit more) will be Marc by Marc Jacobs - forget brand but lady I see wearing it looks lush with it.

accordingly to thread here quality of Mulbs bags gone down and when my aunt (who's bag connoisseur) went to their outlet in Somerset for my brother's wedding she said bad discounts there....

madammecholet Sun 13-Oct-13 15:22:00

I've got a few Peony & Moore bags, they're gorgeous... how about this one camilla classic / vintage feel bag?

Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 16:43:48

That's interesting about the quality and the discount - was thinking of going to Bicester to see the ones there but TBH these ones are all much nicer!! I'm a bit clueless - carry my stuff in my pockets or in the bottom of the pram - so this is all v helpful. Those peony and Moore ones are lovely, and I didn't even know Hobbs did handbags!!

If you were my sister-in-law, what colour would you like? Her current handbag is black and she has a posh changing bag that is grey.

You guys are awesome, thanks again!

Elsiequadrille Sun 13-Oct-13 17:04:36

I wouldn't recommend Peony and Moore. I know they're cheaper than Mulberry, and they look nice, but I've found the quality very poor, and not comparable even with Mulberry's recent decline, (recent bad experience with a P and M, which has only lasted months; with glue they use for straps coming apart etc etc).

Aquelven Sun 13-Oct-13 17:07:51
justasecond Sun 13-Oct-13 17:17:40

What about a coccinelle bag. I just got this for about £200 from the outlet in Bicester. It is great quality and a good size too

www.lyst.com/bags/coccinelle-celeste-tote-taupe/

Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 17:22:26

That coccinelle one is gorgeous!! I'm not sure about the colour though - I love it but is it a bit unusual to give as a present?

Who knew there were so many lovely handbags around?! Could be the beginning of an expensive habit for me!!

The Hobbs ones are really pretty too - are they nice-feeling? The shop here is small and I don't think would have any in or not many.

Could you give your DBro the £200 and he can put it towards a Mulberry handbag (obviously he'd tell her that it was part from you grin ) and he can top up the rest.
<<Disclaimer: I have NO IDEA what a Mulberry Bag costs or any desire to own one)

But if she's set her heart on one , that's what she wants.
Really Really Wants?

Off to Google Mulberry Bags.
Might be shock

Googled
shock
But there was a Mulberry Bayswater came up @£195 "Sale"

justasecond Sun 13-Oct-13 17:35:17

They come in lots of different colours just google coccinelle celeste. I like it in this colour too
www.miinto.co.uk/p-20157-coccinelle-celeste-shoulder-bag

Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 17:36:29

It's a good idea 70 - I'll ask my brother. But I think she just said she likes them in passing rather than a deep-seated need for one!! Rather like I want a Mercedes SLK....

TBH I was completely shocked by how much they cost (I am obviously completely out of touch with the world!!). They are lovely but what if my kids vomit on it or something?! Or your packed lunch leaks leftover bolognaise all over it?! I think mulberry owners must have a v different lifestyle from me!!

Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 17:38:03

Justasecond - that is gorgeous!! I'll google it.

Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 17:43:38

Aquelven - sorry, I did write you a reply - thank you and I love those too - would never have thought of marks and Spencer's for a handbag!!

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 13-Oct-13 17:58:02

Modalu Pippa ?

I have one of their small ones and it's great - looks more expensive than it is and I'm impressed by the quality. I'd go for a large one if I worked in an office, they are a great size for lugging all the essentials around. Come in lots of colours too.

Lilylou123 Sun 13-Oct-13 18:44:17

That's gorgeous hotel!

I shall show these to my brother and see what he thinks.

You guys are truly, truly amazing! Thank you!!!

madammecholet Sun 13-Oct-13 19:34:29

Elsiequadrille did you send it back to P&M, they're usually really good on their customer service?

OP Russell & Bromley also a good place to look and NotOntheHighStreet.com... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now