Help me choose a stylish but also long and very warm coat for standing around rugby pitches?

(111 Posts)
casacastille Sat 12-Oct-13 17:09:48

Can anyone recommend one? After today, I have realised that it has to cover my bottom (not yet defrosted) but beyond that I can't decide what sort.

I quite like this Zara one

and this one claims to be waterproof

Which do you like best? I'd like a furry hoodsmile

mysteryfairy Sun 13-Oct-13 07:15:50

barbour arctic down parka is another alternative around the £300 mark.

ProphetOfDoom Sun 13-Oct-13 08:08:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

paperlantern Sun 13-Oct-13 09:13:51

my marks and sparks down filled one is super toastie and whilst not fashionable looks super smart with a nice hat and scarf.

and at avout 80 quid last year it was a steal

paperlantern Sun 13-Oct-13 09:17:53

very similar to this

http://m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/Collection-Hooded-Filled-Belted-Stormwear/dp/B005C5TUQ8?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-1&qid=1381652112&pf_rd_r=1SZG2M6DGDXNEJ3H2V4H&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=321381407&pf_rd_s=center-3

LimeLeaafLizard Sun 13-Oct-13 09:20:11

check out target dry? http://www.targetdry.com/

OrchidLass Sun 13-Oct-13 09:21:50

Didriksons all the way.

sedgieloo Sun 13-Oct-13 09:34:34

After reading the parka threads from last year I went for a didrikson Taylor which I got just this week. I'm more than pleased and would recommend to anyone. I think the quality is lovely and pretty stylish considering its so practical. I got it for £150.

If you want a down coat though, do check it is waterproof also.

I've worked out I've got another 15 years of standing on the sidelines at Chippenham, Midsomer Norton and Lansdown so have made the decision to invest too [sobs at the age gap in DSs]

I was thinking of the Jack Wolfskin Iceguard. Is the Northface worth double the cost?

Oh wise, warm MNtters with rugby playing DC please advise me and don't judge me on this coat

And boots. I need boots that are warm and waterproof for the sidelines, that I won't be embarrassed tramping around the city when it snows.

Sorry to hijack op. I feel so pleased that I'm not alone in my quest. I will think of you all this morning as I freeze my ass off.

horcruxmanzini Sun 13-Oct-13 10:15:01

Another Didriksons fan. I spent most of last autumn cross because it wasn't arctic enough for me to properly appreciate the mighty Swedish-fisherman-strength insulation capabilities of my Lindsay parka.

saythatagain Sun 13-Oct-13 10:19:15

Another shouting:get thee to Didrikson.
££££'s but absolutely worth it.

Artandco Sun 13-Oct-13 10:23:21

Get sorrel boots also

hettie Sun 13-Oct-13 10:26:46

Sorry to join the chorus....but didriksons.... Oh and Sorrel boots.

Branleuse Sun 13-Oct-13 10:27:37

go to a charity shop and buy a sheepskin. also buy thermal walking boots

I wish I had done this years ago.

Fashion and style is for the other 3 seasons.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

casacastille Sun 13-Oct-13 11:41:57

Didriksons... they look very warm but not many long ones. I had a numb derriere yesterday, I really need good rear coverage.

Which models have you all got?

There definitely is such a thing as bad weather if it means I have to spend £££ on a serious coat!wink

sedgieloo Sun 13-Oct-13 12:04:12

OP - Mines the Taylor. I'm 5'9 and longer in the leg. It's mid thigh at front. Bit longer at back. As soon as it gets cold I think the best priced ones will sell out and Sweden will not have more stock as stores order 6 months in advance. It's sad that I know this but ... 150 is a lot of money (esp for a parka) for me so a considered purchase and I did my homework. As it was my order had to wait for second delivery as my size had gone (apparently orders are being filled just now but usually becomes hit and miss as season continues, probably depends on your size and colour choice)

casacastille Sun 13-Oct-13 14:51:21

I like that. Where did you get it? Online?

I've just got so wet and cold I've got home and ordered the taylor Didrikson via amazon before the kettle has boiled!

I went for the olive green one in a nod to all things camouflage. There seem to be purple and and blue too.

So about those Sorrel boots. Which ones have people got? Are they the only recommendation? And really can I wear them in the city when I have to walk to work in the snow?

Thank you OP and everyone else for the thread and information.

PervCat Sun 13-Oct-13 15:24:36

oh the barbour one is naff]

very nouveau

20% off Landsend at the moment. The Stadium Squall will keep you warm and there is a long length puffer style one too.

CMOTDibbler Sun 13-Oct-13 15:31:26

I've got a Lands End knee length down coat with a furry collar, and it is incredibly warm - I wear it in Finland while walking to the office in -15 and am too hot even though I'll only have a thin top on underneath as the office is vv warm. It also keeps me cosy while standing watching ds riding in the snow.

Best boots for warm feet imo are Merrell Prevoz

PervCat Sun 13-Oct-13 15:32:34

i didnt find my lands end one that warm

nor my north face

i am a cold fish wink

casacastille Sun 13-Oct-13 15:52:26

Can't do Lands End - nothing in an 8

It's going to have to be a Didrikson and to hell with city chic.

So what do you wear, Perv? Breadcrumb batter?wink

PervCat Sun 13-Oct-13 15:54:02

wink

Sparklegeek Sun 13-Oct-13 15:55:25

I am in my 10th year of Sunday morning football spectating. Have sorted out the coat now (Lands' End down knee-length belted one) but I have yet to fathom out hands & feet. It's the standing still for 2 hours...skiing is a tropical holiday in comparison sad

PervCat Sun 13-Oct-13 16:03:28

ten years. that makes me think. I am the same I think. with still more years to come.
And dont think cricket is always warm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now