Help me choose a stylish but also long and very warm coat for standing around rugby pitches?

(111 Posts)
casacastille Sat 12-Oct-13 17:09:48

Can anyone recommend one? After today, I have realised that it has to cover my bottom (not yet defrosted) but beyond that I can't decide what sort.

I quite like this Zara one

and this one claims to be waterproof

Which do you like best? I'd like a furry hoodsmile

suebfg Sat 12-Oct-13 21:22:42

Check out the Aigle Cuckmere but note that the hood trim is real fur. It is a fab coat though

Top tip. If you can wear it for more than 5 mins indoors, it's not warm enough. I step inside and start sloughing off the layers immediately before I DIE of heat exhaustion.

Littlefiendsusan Sat 12-Oct-13 21:29:47

Primark do surprisingly warm parkas with furry hoods.
Much warmer than any down filled coat I've had,only downside is it's not waterproof.
So only slightly helpful there grin grin

casacastille Sat 12-Oct-13 21:33:29

OK def not Zara then. I'm always cold anyway, can't have a crap coat.

I want the Cuckmere now. Might have to sell a child.

PervCat Sat 12-Oct-13 21:36:34

oh i quite liked the lands end one tbh

casacastille Sat 12-Oct-13 21:39:16

which one?

PervCat Sat 12-Oct-13 21:39:52

was called shimmer down or some such
wasnt shimmery at all.

size way down

PervCat Sat 12-Oct-13 21:40:59
casacastille Sat 12-Oct-13 21:46:18

Quite like that and way cheaper. Is it properly warm?

Also size down not possible as they start at a 10 (I'm an 8) - would it be stupidly huge?

PervCat Sat 12-Oct-13 21:47:56

im a 12 14 and bought too big, hence wasnt as fitted and warmed as I needed

PervCat Sat 12-Oct-13 21:48:14

they do petite too

NewNameforNewTerm Sat 12-Oct-13 21:52:45

I second Landsend. Not stylish, but really does the job without too much £££. Add thermals (I am blush to say I wear thermal longjohns and a long-sleeved roll-necked thermal vest), multiple light layers, two pairs of socks, thick soled boots, scarf, hat and two pairs of gloves. Hand warmers are useful on really bad days.
Then, if you are like me, you can waddle along as toasty as can be! Goodness I must look a sight, but I'm warm so I don't care!

dexter73 Sat 12-Oct-13 22:30:09

As well as having all the clothes I have these. They have saved my toes from dropping off several times.
I nearly did a little dance of joy today when my dd told me her rugby match tomorrow had been cancelled seeing as it is going to piss down all day!

casacastille Sat 12-Oct-13 22:30:13

Length might be wrong with petite as I'm not (5'6"), just scrawny

Bah.

casacastille Sat 12-Oct-13 22:31:36

lol @ volcanic insoles!

I have sheepskin ones - fab

dexter73 Sat 12-Oct-13 22:33:57

I love them. I have sheepskin ones too but they are just for normal cold days. How do they make rugby pitches so cold?

TheFallenMadonna Sat 12-Oct-13 22:34:29

Didrikson parka. Merrell fleece lined boots.

Ruprekt Sat 12-Oct-13 22:36:38

Mandm direct have some fab coats. i got a hellyhanson coat a few years ago which is still going strong.

Cost about £30. smilesmilesmile

LeFreakCestChic Sat 12-Oct-13 22:55:10

Watching with interest as have decided that this winter I will not freeze my ass off in a fashion coat but buy a proper warm Parka. I feel the cold v easily and loathe being cold. am in bed wearing a sweatshirt, t shirt, thermal vest, thermal socks and joggers + hot water bottle. unsurprisingly just as well I'm single.
Merrell/ Didrikson/ north face? What's the toastiest? And are fleece lined, rubber gripped old gimmer boots next...?
Sorry to hijack OP.

pixiegumboot Sat 12-Oct-13 22:56:35

merrell haven. mine on eBay.
didriksons anything!

kiwik Sat 12-Oct-13 23:06:20

I have a Canada Goose parka. Seriously the warmest coat ever. DH plays, and I spent many a frozen weekend watching him from the sidelines until I invested in this.
He shall be doing all sporting fixtures for our DCs.

casacastille Sat 12-Oct-13 23:17:55

Hijack away, LeFreak. I feel the cold massively and am ridiculously excited at the prospect of a super cosy coat.

kiwik - shock at £500+ I hope they come with integrated boiler and hot chocolate tap!

RonaldMcDonald Sat 12-Oct-13 23:29:08

this...every year

48th Sat 12-Oct-13 23:34:08

Ha dexter those insoles are genius, I am buying some tomorrow!

Eastpoint Sun 13-Oct-13 01:04:18

Benetton have a long down/feather coat with a hood for £189. I saw it in black or navy today. The quilting is chevron rather than just horizontal. You can always waterproof a coat if it isn't waterproof when you buy it if it can be washed. NikWax is your friend, cheaper on Amazon but you can get it at Blacks etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now