Teenage spots

(13 Posts)
Ilovebreakfast Fri 11-Oct-13 14:24:01

Thanks so much all. I really appreciate your help. It's awful when you see your dc self conscious about things.

MinnesotaNice Fri 11-Oct-13 13:23:26

I started getting bad breakouts when I was about 18/19 years old and my mom took me to a dermatologist. She prescribed me a combo of Retin-A and benzamycin. Amazing stuff--it cleared my skin up in about 3 days. Now I use mostly La Roche Posay combined with an oil-based cleanser.

RibenaFiend Fri 11-Oct-13 12:38:06

I use freederm gel on spots overnight to zap the buggers and I also am an advocate for simple moisturisers.

lurkingaround Fri 11-Oct-13 11:44:57

Diet-wise: avoid dairy, nuts (sterols in nuts can be converted to hormones that promote spots/acne, in susceptiblepeople) and sugars.
Milk information, explains the reasons dairy can lead to spots. Just make sure your DC gets calcium elsewhere.

lurkingaround Fri 11-Oct-13 11:41:26

Effaclar by La Roche Posay. It's for oily spot prone skin. Most dermatologists recommend this one.

Clean and Clear was has a decent amount of salicylic acid I think, which would help (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Have a trial of concealers too Ilove

If my DS has a particularly luminous spot I put BareMinerals concealer on him.

I get the "Oh Mum I'm not wearing Make-up " chorus. But even he has to admit, if it's done properly , it's invisible.
I think my DD will be an easier model.

DS has the Boots Tea Tree and Witch Hazel cleansing pads (in a round tub) and the matching Night Gel.

He also has one of the proper blackhead zapper loop things but whinges claims it's too painful .

(I made him use a nose strip though)

<<Where have I gone so wrong? A teenager who doesn't squeeze his plukes>> hmm

BurberryQ Fri 11-Oct-13 10:36:00

witch hazel from the chemist, cotton wool pads, tea tree oil, mud packs....

SundaySimmons Fri 11-Oct-13 10:34:45

www.goodthingsbeauty.com

The products are available in Sainsbury's.

Excellent quality products, inexpensive and packaging likely to appeal to a teenage girl rather than more clinical looking products.

Laquila Fri 11-Oct-13 10:21:25

I would def recommend the Cetaphil. My all-time fave day moisturiser for my sensitive, spot-prone skin is Green People's Day Solution with SPF15.

Ilovebreakfast Fri 11-Oct-13 10:17:05

Thank you. Will look at that range.

Anyone else?

Ujjayi Fri 11-Oct-13 09:33:48

My DS is 13 and gets similar spots - not acne but just small pimples. He uses the Simple range: daily face wash, moisturising lotion and a face mask once a week. Really helps - particularly the mask. They may well do a product with SPF in it too.

Ilovebreakfast Fri 11-Oct-13 09:21:50

Can anyone recommend a good skincare product (s) for my 14 yo dd? She has started to get a few spots, not big red acne ones but just little pimples on get cheeks and forehead and is getting upset by them sad

I thought maybe the cetaphil cleanser, but not sure re moisturiser. She does a lot of outdoor sport so ideally maybe one with a SPF and that is moisturising now the weather has turned.

Any other advice would be great. She is healthy, eats well etc.

Thanks guys x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now