Teenage spots

(13 Posts)
Ilovebreakfast Fri 11-Oct-13 09:21:50

Can anyone recommend a good skincare product (s) for my 14 yo dd? She has started to get a few spots, not big red acne ones but just little pimples on get cheeks and forehead and is getting upset by them sad

I thought maybe the cetaphil cleanser, but not sure re moisturiser. She does a lot of outdoor sport so ideally maybe one with a SPF and that is moisturising now the weather has turned.

Any other advice would be great. She is healthy, eats well etc.

Thanks guys x

Ujjayi Fri 11-Oct-13 09:33:48

My DS is 13 and gets similar spots - not acne but just small pimples. He uses the Simple range: daily face wash, moisturising lotion and a face mask once a week. Really helps - particularly the mask. They may well do a product with SPF in it too.

Ilovebreakfast Fri 11-Oct-13 10:17:05

Thank you. Will look at that range.

Anyone else?

Laquila Fri 11-Oct-13 10:21:25

I would def recommend the Cetaphil. My all-time fave day moisturiser for my sensitive, spot-prone skin is Green People's Day Solution with SPF15.

SundaySimmons Fri 11-Oct-13 10:34:45

www.goodthingsbeauty.com

The products are available in Sainsbury's.

Excellent quality products, inexpensive and packaging likely to appeal to a teenage girl rather than more clinical looking products.

BurberryQ Fri 11-Oct-13 10:36:00

witch hazel from the chemist, cotton wool pads, tea tree oil, mud packs....

DS has the Boots Tea Tree and Witch Hazel cleansing pads (in a round tub) and the matching Night Gel.

He also has one of the proper blackhead zapper loop things but whinges claims it's too painful .

(I made him use a nose strip though)

<<Where have I gone so wrong? A teenager who doesn't squeeze his plukes>> hmm

Have a trial of concealers too Ilove

If my DS has a particularly luminous spot I put BareMinerals concealer on him.

I get the "Oh Mum I'm not wearing Make-up " chorus. But even he has to admit, if it's done properly , it's invisible.
I think my DD will be an easier model.

lurkingaround Fri 11-Oct-13 11:41:26

Effaclar by La Roche Posay. It's for oily spot prone skin. Most dermatologists recommend this one.

Clean and Clear was has a decent amount of salicylic acid I think, which would help (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

lurkingaround Fri 11-Oct-13 11:44:57

Diet-wise: avoid dairy, nuts (sterols in nuts can be converted to hormones that promote spots/acne, in susceptiblepeople) and sugars.
Milk information, explains the reasons dairy can lead to spots. Just make sure your DC gets calcium elsewhere.

RibenaFiend Fri 11-Oct-13 12:38:06

I use freederm gel on spots overnight to zap the buggers and I also am an advocate for simple moisturisers.

MinnesotaNice Fri 11-Oct-13 13:23:26

I started getting bad breakouts when I was about 18/19 years old and my mom took me to a dermatologist. She prescribed me a combo of Retin-A and benzamycin. Amazing stuff--it cleared my skin up in about 3 days. Now I use mostly La Roche Posay combined with an oil-based cleanser.

Ilovebreakfast Fri 11-Oct-13 14:24:01

Thanks so much all. I really appreciate your help. It's awful when you see your dc self conscious about things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now