Leather biker jacket - is there one out there for me?

(14 Posts)
Belindaearl2 Sat 12-Oct-13 13:10:08

I'm 5'1" and have black leather in dark red. Agree they're always fab!

bettybleep Sat 12-Oct-13 12:58:30

James Blunt was on G. Norton last night and summed up the problems of biker jackets. He's a well brought up, neatly brushed and boyish, with a pretty voice, trying to look edgy by putting on a black biker. It didn't work. If Paul Macartney turns up next week in white trainers, suit trousers and a biker, doing double peace signs, mine's going straight to recycling.. I agree that they can be softened by scarves etc but personally I think they look best on long lean people, or the under 25's. I bowed under DP pressure to get one and should have listened to my inner voice... The one that screamed when I caught sight of myself in that mirror! I've got a pink one that suits me better, but then I feel like Gloria Hunniford, and get a cold bum...

EverythingUnderControl Sat 12-Oct-13 10:31:10

La Redoute have some lovely coloured faux leather biker jackets. I bought dd a pink one recently, but she also loved the blue one we sent for as well. They look more feminine than black imho (although they had black ones too)

dizhin79 Sat 12-Oct-13 10:27:42

Dorothy Perkins are doing a real ly cute fake leather one, think they had actual leather too

FaddyPeony Sat 12-Oct-13 08:25:12

I love this Whistles one worn by one of the All Worn Out ladies. She seems very tiny as opposed to curvy though -- still, worth a try? I love how it looks with her scarf.

I got a faux-leather one from Topshop about 5 or 6 years ago. I'd love real leather but can't justify it right now! FWIW I think they're a real classic and I don't care if everyone's wearing them, they just work smile Perfect for dry, sunny autumn days.

Mine is from Oasis and I absolutely love it. Am a 5'2 curvy 10-12.

Beaverfeaver Fri 11-Oct-13 21:46:26

I know what you mean, I came out of every shop after trying the jackets on and everyone from 10-70 is wearing them.

I have a gorgeous bright red french connection one that's only been worn once or twice, but its a size 10 and doesn't fit.
I should really get rid, (looked fabuloso in the day)

bettybleep Fri 11-Oct-13 19:37:45

<<Takes big slouchy bag from crook of arm>> High five right back at ya mog x

High five bettybleep!! grin

Twinklestein Fri 11-Oct-13 18:31:24

Did you try House of Fraser - they have a good selection:

Biba

Karen Millen

Oasis

bettybleep Fri 11-Oct-13 18:08:16

Perhaps you felt you looked ridiculous because everyone's wearing them, and it makes you feel like a fashion victim? I've seen an eight year old wearing one, and then saw a peroxide blonde in her sixties thinking she could carry off the biker look.. Then I realised it was a mirror..... I got mine in TKMaxx..

Bump! I love the look of black leather biker jackets on other girls but was never sure about them on me. Saying that I recently bit the bullet & bought one (All Saints do great 'edgy' looking ones) the way I get away with it is make up enough that I don't look drained & a scarf to break up the hardness from my face. My fave leather biker though is my brown one from oasis, it looks a bit softer against my face & can be worn with everything. Maybe try a different colour leather & take along your fave coloured scarf :-)

Beaverfeaver Fri 11-Oct-13 17:46:24

Bump

Beaverfeaver Fri 11-Oct-13 04:04:02

It's my birthday and I wanted to treat myself so went shopping last week to find one.

I tried on at least 5 different ones and they all looked ridiculous, but when I see other people wearing them they look fab.

I'm 5ft 4. Curvy size 12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now