Why why why are there no nice coats this season?!

(18 Posts)
AngryFeet Thu 10-Oct-13 15:24:14

So that second link which is my favourite is £116 total inc delivery and taxes

AngryFeet Thu 10-Oct-13 15:22:42
SpookyRestingFace Thu 10-Oct-13 13:02:50

Looks like dark navy to me too, not teal confused

Parmarella Thu 10-Oct-13 12:39:28

I hate the baggy waist shaped coats this season!

maybe look for a classic on e-bay? maxmara or similar?

AngryFeet Thu 10-Oct-13 12:25:53

Love that one Spooky - what colour is it? It looks navy to me but says 'rich teal shade' confused. My screen is weird at work so never shows colours properly.

I really like the top Joe Browns one Parvati but not sure if the scarf is attached to the coat and the note about quality is concerning...

ParvatiTheWitch Thu 10-Oct-13 12:21:43

The Joe Browns ones look like they go in and out in all the right places too.

ParvatiTheWitch Thu 10-Oct-13 12:20:57
TheAwfulDaughter Thu 10-Oct-13 12:14:48

I would take a look at ASOS. I find their coats and jackets to be good quality. You can filter by style too and banish the boyfriends

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Thu 10-Oct-13 12:09:35
SpookyRestingFace Thu 10-Oct-13 12:07:33

I have resorted to Ebay in my search for the perfect coat, and am factoring in the cost of a dry-clean to the ones I'm watching.

I normally look for the same sort of thing you're looking for, but this year I'm finding myself sort of drawn to the boyfriendy masculine styles. Have no idea if they'll suit me or not confused but I want one.

SpookyRestingFace Thu 10-Oct-13 12:03:03

Similar to the one in your OP? Only 49% wool though.

PlayedThePinkOboe Thu 10-Oct-13 12:02:55

Oh I hear you OP! Similar shape and feeling revolted at cheap & nasty wool "knock-offs" - no, a decent coat should cost more than 30 quid. Military style and cocoon style. Yes, fat me up my little buttercup!

Wither v-necks? sad

AngryFeet Thu 10-Oct-13 11:44:03

Yes that one looks better nowthen (although the reviews say it is straight not flared) - I will try and get into town to try it on. I have found a few things on ebay too so am watching those.

No idea. I am really in the market for a properly fitted navy coat, and cannot find one anywhere.

nowthenmardybum Thu 10-Oct-13 11:39:35
AngryFeet Thu 10-Oct-13 11:26:42

I have looked everywhere I normally do - Warehouse, Oasis, Next, DP, Asos, M&S - the usual high street jobbies.

I have tried on the boyfriend style and honestly I look like a weeble. I need to accentuate my small bits which are my top half or I look HUGE.

Where to look online though? I have trawled all the websites for the normal stores. Maybe it is a lost cause. I will keep scrolling through ebay then <sigh>

TheAwfulDaughter Thu 10-Oct-13 11:08:31

The boyfriend/blazer coat seems to be THE style at the moment. Where have you been looking?

I get that it doesn't suit everyone- but even as someone who is a bit chunkier and usually in need of a bit of a 'nipping in', I found a gorgeous boyfriend coat in New Look. Fabric is a bit flimsy, but it's perfect to wear on top of jumpers and dresses on nights out. And for £40, very good value. They do them in lots of colours, I will go back for the wine one next payday!

Perhaps try and embrace it and try a few on- the style may grow on you.

If not- your best bet is looking online. There are plenty of pea coats, macs and dress-style coats on high street stores websites, but obviously they are going to use their floor space in store for the latest trend.

AngryFeet Thu 10-Oct-13 10:55:05

I can't find anything! It is all shapeless and masculine. I am pear shaped and I need a nice coat that is fitted on the top half, single breasted as my boobs are biggish, possible with a belt but if not must be nipped in at the waist, then a flare out to between mid thigh and knee but only a little flare (some of the current fit and flare coats have huge bottom halves which make my arse look GIGANTIC).

Something like this is good for example.

Clearly I am asking too much but every year since I can remember they have had loads of these coats but this year? Nada sad

I am happy to spend up to £120 so if anyone can think of anything please let me know and I will be eternally grateful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now