do your boobs pass the "pencil test"?

(102 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Thu 10-Oct-13 01:47:18

there is a no bra wearing day coming up for breast cancer awareness....im at work that day and would have someones eye out if id didnt wear a bra!

i never understood the pencil test thing. i thought id failed because i couldnt hold a pencil - but it seems that i got it the wrong way around.
im a 34 D. it just so happens that mine point forward instead of down - so pencil test is a no no for me - i cant hold them.

is this a good thing? my boobs apparently still point forwards instead of going south.....im narly 42 so am sort of counting this as a good thing! im about to have surgery on my stomach so i am guessing i will lose some weight and my boobs are always the first to go....

scarlet76 Thu 10-Oct-13 07:35:06

30C here - can hold none of the aforementioned items. They go out rather than down but really no more than a handful there ;-)
I run a lot so wear a sports bra often. I do have odd days when I wear a fitted vest under my clothes instead of a bra.

celestialsquirrels Thu 10-Oct-13 07:37:51

I have never understood the pencil test either. I don't have any underside of boob to hold one! They just go straight out and hold themselves up. 34c. I'm 44 and have had 4 kids so I guess I just have different shaped ones to most of the rest of the work.

I often don't wear a bra

ThePuffyShirt Thu 10-Oct-13 07:39:50

32dd and definitely pass the test as I have no droop.

I think it's because I had no boobs until I had children.

Cat98 Thu 10-Oct-13 07:41:00

I'm the same - mine point forwards, are 34c and definitely can't hold a pencil. I guess I'm lucky.. I do have scarring on one nipple from horrendous bfing experience though!

Lizzabadger Thu 10-Oct-13 07:44:26

30FF and never past it. Just tried and I pass the iPad test though!

Lizzabadger Thu 10-Oct-13 07:44:45

Passed not past

IcedTeaOneSugar Thu 10-Oct-13 07:45:32

If I'm cold yes, If I'm hot no.

No bra day, jog on......

I will not be participating in Norks Akimbo Day!

^ This has made me laugh aloud grin

At a south facing 32G that can probably hold weights never mind pencils, nor will I!

lubeybooby Thu 10-Oct-13 07:46:48

38GG/H and can hold an entire rainforest under one.

I've never been able to hold a pencil there.

I'm a 32D and sometimes go braless.

maresedotes Thu 10-Oct-13 07:52:10

I've read the thread and I don't understand the pencil test! What is it? I am a 36F.

Back in the olden days, the theory was that if you couldn't hold a pencil in place by putting it under your breasts, then they were small/firm enough not to need a bra!

Now read all replies again grin

patienceisvirtuous Thu 10-Oct-13 08:50:21

My vile ex once told me it meant I had 'saggy boobs' because I wouldn't pass the test, but his ex did?!

I was 22 at the time, size ten and 34E. It made me paranoid

I am size 14 now with 34F boobs so certainly won't be partaking in no bra day grin

Left boob can, right boob cannot.
DH is staring at me in confusion asking "what has Mumsnet got you doing, now?"
I think the penis beaker convo this morning is giving him a certain, impression of here grin

PlayedThePinkOboe Thu 10-Oct-13 08:57:19

I'm a G cup. The day I pass the pencil test is the day I receive my Nobel Physics Award for defying the laws of gravity - and it's been this way since I was 12 years old.

I am quietly confident I can hold a pencil case under them though.

CelticPromise Thu 10-Oct-13 08:59:13

30HH and would never have passed it since I was about 12.

Incidentally, I used to think I was a 36DD (thanks M&S!) and wore crappy badly fitting bras. I expect it didn't help.

maresedotes Thu 10-Oct-13 08:59:57

Thank you marriednotdead Have done the test and, as a 36F, I'm just trying to retrieve it.

MrsLettuce Thu 10-Oct-13 09:01:02

Me too! Mine have never passed the pencil test, as soon as there was anything worth the name of 'breast' there was significant under bust storage ability.

I can grin

34DD, 2 years of bf-ing and they're still perky and pointing the right way.
Let's ignore that the remote control could get lost in my belly rolls shock

ubik Thu 10-Oct-13 09:02:43

Ha, ha.

Got up this morning and DP is squinting at Twitter going 'what is this penis beaker thing?' He looked quite worried.

I can fit a multitude of pencils and a spare cheese sandwich under mine.

Am horrified by the radical feminists burning bras in the 70s - I love my bra, I am a 32E.

MrsOakenshield Thu 10-Oct-13 09:04:26

even at school I failed the pencil test, my boobs have headed south from the outset.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Thu 10-Oct-13 09:06:18

I am large breasted - until I lost bit of weight earlier in the year I could pass the pencil test, but I lost some of the weight from my boobs so they're 'softer' (ahem, yes, less firm) than before, so the pencil is staying there. A bit of a bugger, but small price to pay.

I can't see how any of us going bra-less is going to help cancer charitied one bit - mine will be tethered as normal smile

SalmonellaDeGhoul Thu 10-Oct-13 09:07:09

I could hold a penis beaker with mine.

Amrapaali Thu 10-Oct-13 09:08:31

I am going to call my breasts Neils from today. Sounds a bit dirty....

Salbertina Thu 10-Oct-13 09:08:54

"A long, long time ago, I can still remember when..."

...They used to be pert hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now