Thinking of lobbing off the mane.

(41 Posts)
PalakPaneer Tue 08-Oct-13 12:01:39

I have long, dark, straight, thick hair. It is fine, but there is loads of it. I am thinking of lobbing quite a lot of it off as I am getting older - yikes! . I am thinking of bringing it up to just above my shoulders so that I can bring it back in a few sleek up do's. I think that pulling a short bob back into a pony at the nape looks really nice, as does a simple fold (can't think what this is called, when you bring your hair back and fold it under. At the moment my hair is too long and too thick to do anything but put it in a pony tail.

I have a photo, but am too embarrassed to post it.

Anyone taken their hair up so they can style it better and can you manage it in a nice up-do better?

chartreuse Tue 08-Oct-13 12:53:15

I find chopping my hair off to just above my shoulders takes years off my face. For that reason alone I'd recommend it!

PalakPaneer Tue 08-Oct-13 13:11:22

I am a bit scared to lob it off TBH but I so need to move on from a pony tail. I'll be 44 in a few weeks. I need a bit more sophistication!

PalakPaneer Tue 08-Oct-13 13:12:02

Also good point about taking years off a face. I do think my face is looking a bit tired and more droopy than it was. I could do with an instant lift!

chartreuse Tue 08-Oct-13 13:16:17

You could go shorter in stages if you're nervous. I certainly find it more managable as a bob, and I also wear it down more - when it's longer I tend to wear it tied back as it swamps my face when it's down.

ellesabe Tue 08-Oct-13 14:07:18

Have you heard of the mn haircut?

Video here

I'm thinking of trying it tonight if you fancy joining me... grin

SorrelForbes Tue 08-Oct-13 14:11:42

Do it! My hair was almost down to my bra strap and I had it cut to just above shoulder length a few months ago and had some layers put in too. It's definitely less 'witchy' and easier to manage It looks a bit like this pic.

PalakPaneer Wed 09-Oct-13 01:53:20

Well, if it is good enough for Sophia, you know <grin>

PalakPaneer Wed 09-Oct-13 01:59:01

I am feeling a bit witchy too Sorrel. I am going to post a photo. Please give me some tips on hair styles!

RainierWolfcastle Wed 09-Oct-13 02:04:23

Lop. It's lopping. To lob is to throw

PalakPaneer Wed 09-Oct-13 02:06:54

I think they got the drift, but thanks for pointing it out.

Medal Wed 09-Oct-13 09:11:50

I think you'd look great with any length hair really! Especially something like Sofia's on the magazine. Do it! envy of your thick hair.

I did it 3 years ago and have grown it ever since.

It was ok, but to me it looked mumsy and as if I'd hit middle age and gone for a sharp haircut.

Long and messy suits me better. I clip it up most days in a soft clip and when I can be arsed I straighten or curl it for nights out.

I couldn't wear a pony, my hair is too fine and it might break if I put it in one every day. I use those open/shut claw clips.

SundaySimmons Wed 09-Oct-13 09:30:51

I wondered about the lobbing rather than lopping as well!

You have a lo overly face and lovely hair and personally I wouldn't have it cut shorter but I can understand you may be fed up with it looking the same everyday. I think you would look lovely with more volume and soft curls.

Would you use heated or Velcro rollers?

SundaySimmons Wed 09-Oct-13 09:31:23

Lo overly = lovely!

noddyholder Wed 09-Oct-13 09:33:51

I think you look great. I am 47 and often think of cutting mine off but know I would regret it. I wear it up most days (pic on profile) and used to think putting it up no different to having it short but believe me it is! You have a nice face though so i would either leave as is or really short. In between can be mumsy

Bexicles Wed 09-Oct-13 09:37:45

Palak I really like your hair! it looks like it's in great condition. I am currently growing out a shoulder length layered bob which I hated, felt very mumsy and had to be styled everyday. I would say don't go to short.

Bexicles Wed 09-Oct-13 09:38:09

too

noddyholder Wed 09-Oct-13 10:00:55
SundaySimmons Wed 09-Oct-13 10:06:49

Noddy holder, my hair is almost identical to that when I wake up in the morning, except mine is darker! I look like a wild woman of Borneo and whilst the tousled look may flatter a young bohemian, I resemble a scarecrow!

PalakPaneer Wed 09-Oct-13 10:09:26

Thanks for the nice compliments. I am a bit bored with it, but because I have finally got it into good condition, I am a bit hesitant to do that much with it. I think I may go a bit shorter and a few more layers. I just feel like I have a very, very long bob and I constantly have to move it out of my eyes.

noddyholder Wed 09-Oct-13 10:09:29

SO is mine but no fringe! I love it Hate over styled hair though never brush mine!

VenusDeWillendorf Wed 09-Oct-13 10:11:48

Usually what I do when we feel a bit meh about my hair is go to the hairdresser and have a treatment mask and a blow dry, and a chat about maybe having a different style.

Look at magazines and really look at the type of person and their shape face to see what might suit you.
Get your make up done at bobbi brown or similar in the beauty hall. A new lipstick, or blusher might be the thing you actually need!!

Whenever I feel like cutting, or lopping smile my hair off, I have a coffee in a fashionable spot and really people watch: looking at all the mumsy folks with their sensible hair puts me off having a cut. Unless its a very chic and stylish bob, (which won't suit my rather frizzy and fine, thick hair,) to me, short hair looks like menopausal hair.

Sophia Coppola's is how my hair wil be whenever I'm going for the chop. At the moment, my hair is a longer version of it and it suits my face, hair and lifestyle.

noddyholder Wed 09-Oct-13 10:11:57

I am old though and it still looks ok (I think)

noddyholder Wed 09-Oct-13 10:13:26

I always think no one with any style has a 'do' all models and actresses etc regardless of age just have simple hair. The only ones who don't are in daytime tv shows and soaps. Well conditioned is key i think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now