Tell me about your armpit cleansing routine...

(75 Posts)
MoreSmellyPits Sun 06-Oct-13 22:00:07

please blush.

I shower once a day, I use antiperspirant, I wear virtually exclusively cotton.

My BO is terrible, even coming out of the shower and drying myself I can smell it.
I know it is bacteria that make sweat actually smeall, so is there anything else I can do? Is my skin itself smelly??

Any advice greatly appreciated.
sadblush

adalovelacelaptop Mon 07-Oct-13 00:13:36

I use shield soap and find that a shower is better than a bath for smell removal. Also make sure that bedding towels etc are washed weekly. and clean clothes on after a shower

MangoTiramisu Mon 07-Oct-13 01:21:05

A good scrub, no hair and I only use crystal deodorant. Since using this I have never smelt any odour there. I've not used anti-persperant or deodorant for years as I read nasty things about it. Not sure if they are true, but it put me off and I prefer the crystal deo now.

crystal deo

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 01:32:25

I use Pitrok crystal after a bath at night. That's it. No smell ....ever. Used to have more smell when using traditional chemical deodrants.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 01:33:45

Mango....snap. These natural crystals are amazing. Why are we sold this rubbish full of chemicals when they are sooo unnessary.

If you smell immediately after getting out of the shower having had a good wash, then it really isn't going to be bacteria making the smell - they won't have had time.

Do you have someone who could do a sniff check for you when you get out of the shower - perhaps you are more aware of possible smells and therefore think it worse than it is.

Otherwise, I'd definitely go to the GP.

GobblersKnob Mon 07-Oct-13 06:18:35

I also ony use natural deoderants and while sometimes I can get quite sweaty (as in wet) as I am pretty active and do quite a lot of exercise, it never smells. This was not the case when I used to use chemical deoderants.

stringornothing Mon 07-Oct-13 07:43:26

When listening to people raving about crystals, bear in mind that some people's (about 2%) sweat simply doesn't smell at all - they lack the protein that feeds bacteria.

I used to think I had this problem, but it turned out to be related to being a slobby student and sharing a roll-on deodorant with an even more slobby boyfriend who used to use it in the morning without having washed. Grim. I got my own and all was well.

Assuming you're not slobby enough to have this problem OP, I'd try another deodorant - Sure extra strength 48 hour cream is good, and if that doesn't produce a marked improvement then see your GP.

VeganCow Mon 07-Oct-13 09:24:22

Another vote here for mitchum.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 11:52:09

I use crystal as does my friend. Before when we used chemical deodrants we used to smell. I didn't expect crystal to work but omg they are amazing and best of all...safe.

coffeeinbed Mon 07-Oct-13 11:57:08

Baking soda will help get rid of the smell.
Yu can use it for washing.

lollylaughs Mon 07-Oct-13 11:58:25

Do you get Dettol bars of soap there? Or any other antibacterial bars of soap? I find that dh and ds need to shower using the bars of soap as if they use the shower gel that dd and I use (nivea, lux etc) then they tend to smell not quite so clean.

ArtexMonkey Mon 07-Oct-13 12:05:09

I make the second deodorant on this link out of coconut oil, bicarb and arrowroot powder, I add a couple drops of tea tree oil and a couple of drops of lavender oil.

It's way better than those crystal things FYI, cheap as well. No stenchy stench. And I am a bit of a sweaty betty normally.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 12:26:04

I never smell with crystal Artex

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 12:27:59

and £4.50 for my pitrok that lasts three months is certainly not expensive smile

hermioneweasley Mon 07-Oct-13 13:10:01

I agree with MrsCake, if you are smelling straight after a showe, it isn't bacteria causing BO. Go to your GP.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 13:21:52

When I used normal deodorants I used to sometimes still smell a little bit after a shower. It was the chemical deodorant keeping the b.o attached to the armpit as those deodorants are hard to wash off as they are designed to stat put .

MoreSmellyPits Mon 07-Oct-13 14:48:27

Gosh, you ladies are a font of knowledge and experience, thank you!
Which is why I posted here in the first place...

The homemade deo recipe looks interesting and doable although DH will look like this hmm when I give it a go I am sure grin

I don't really want to go back to the crystal/Pitrok type things - I did not like them in the past tbh.

alemci Mon 07-Oct-13 15:18:43

I don't know if mine is hormonal but get wet patches under arms. had job interview and even before I got there . kept jacket on.

then at a gig, very hot. doesn't smell just embarrassing, used a mitchum stick

Department Mon 07-Oct-13 15:27:21

Do the crystals prevent wet patches or do thye just stop sweat being smelly?

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 15:56:02

Well for me normal deodorant gave me wet patches but the pitrok crystal seemed to cause no wet patches....confused

Crutchlow35 Mon 07-Oct-13 16:07:36

I use Mitchum but don't use the powder fresh one. For some reason it doesn't work n

Hopefully Mon 07-Oct-13 17:03:49

Another vote for pitrok. You have to struggle through a few days while your body adjusts then it's amazing.

goodasitgets Mon 07-Oct-13 17:09:23

For me
Dettol soap used under arms, sure 48hr cream before bed. Any spray antiperspirant in the am. I wash/soak clothes with napisan as needed and don't use fabric conditioner

umiaisha Mon 07-Oct-13 17:17:23

Definitely avoid onions, garlic and spicy food.

Crutchlow35 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:33:22

I really never knew you could get dettol in a soap. Is it in all the supermarkets?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now