ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Bag for 12 year old dd

(16 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 06-Oct-13 16:39:19

Where do girls this age buy bags from and what sort of styles etc?

Dd would like a new bag, she's got a small one from Accessorise I think which is quite old.

Has to be big enough for purse, phone and bits and pieces.

Any ideas?

TessTackle Sun 06-Oct-13 16:42:34

Primark! They have some lovely "leather" ones that are quite grown up but don't cost an arm and a leg. They have a wide variety of styles and sizes too and you won't end up spending any more than £25. Hth

MomentForLife Sun 06-Oct-13 16:45:04

I would get her a messenger style bag from River Island. I've got a black one that was about 25 I think. Can get it in different colours

My DD has a couple of Kipling "Candy" bags.
A square , multi-pocketed bag that can convert to long strap cross body/ short strap/ or small backpack.

The black one was mine but had no keyfob which niggled me.
Then she got a lilac one for Christmas.
Washable. Well made. Functional.

smile

Ihatemytoes Sun 06-Oct-13 18:01:20

My 12yo DD got a lovely one yesterday from Primark. £10.

bigTillyMint Sun 06-Oct-13 20:44:52

DD got a patent fake croc "overnight" bag from Primarni when she was 11. She is now 14 and still uses it twice a week for gym plus at other times when she has a lot to carry. Best buy she's ever madesmile

NorbertDentressangle Sun 06-Oct-13 20:52:17

From experience I would say let her choose a bag from wherever she wants (within reason of course) as at that age it seems that your choice of bag is very important. She will most likely go with whatever most girls of her age have.

When DD started high school we bought her an Animal rucksack (I thought it was practical but also it was a acceptable brand in her eyes) but soon after starting school it became apparent that rucksacks weren't "cool" so she started trying to cram her stuff into another bag that she happened to have that wasn't anywhere near big enough, that broke, so once again we had the bag dilemma.

Anyway most recently we bought her a Cath Kidston one she'd been lusting after and its a win win situation - she likes it and uses it, its practical and big enough, looks nice, gets used for school and non-school etc.

bigTillyMint Sun 06-Oct-13 20:55:00

Norbert, DD demanded a new non-rucksack bag for school in Y8. Only to dig out her old Y7 rucksack in Y9! Now in Y10 she has a new rucksacksmile

Dancergirl Sun 06-Oct-13 20:55:29

Sorry, should have clarified. I'm NOT talking about a school bag, she's got a rucksack for school.

I mean a smaller shoulder bag she can use when out shopping etc. Just needs it to hold purse, phone, keys, maybe ipod etc.

mimiasovitch Sun 06-Oct-13 20:55:52

My 12 year old dd is a bag obsessive, and she loves the gorjuss range. Not cheap but lovely as a present Here.

mimiasovitch Sun 06-Oct-13 20:57:10

She's also had some cute across the body bags very cheap from tk maxx.

bigTillyMint Sun 06-Oct-13 20:58:29

Could you take her shopping/let her go with friends to choose one herself? Or is it as a surprise present?
At this age they start to have more definite ideas about what is cool... <speaks the voice of bitter experience>

mysteryfairy Sun 06-Oct-13 21:46:09

DD age 11 and yr 7 has this zatchel neon saddle bag which I bought for myself and never used. I think a couple of her friends also have them. She also has a non leather little satchel I bought from Zara on impulse and used for a while before passing on. That was about £25.

She looks more balanced with a smaller bag as she is a bit small for a lot of adult bags and seems to manage better with a bag where she can instantly find keys, money etc.

Dancergirl Sun 06-Oct-13 21:47:23

No it's not a surprise present, she can choose it herself, I just wanted some ideas of shops/websites to target. Looks like Primark will be a good bet.

Dancergirl Sun 06-Oct-13 22:10:34

mysteryfairy that saddle bag is lovely although I suspect she'd wan something in a more understated colour!

Dancergirl Sun 06-Oct-13 22:32:44

Actually the Zatchel barrel bags may be just the thing. ££ though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now