What style of dress for big boobs & bum?

(14 Posts)
dinkydoodah Thu 03-Oct-13 08:24:54

I am a size 12/14 with 32G boobs and 'curvy' bum to match. I also have post baby tummy and am looking at wearing more dresses. Could anyone advise on what 'type' of dresses I should be looking at? I have a black tie event coming up and need a dress quickly. Also, which high street shops have good quality dresses - not too dear but say mid range? TIA

101handbags Thu 03-Oct-13 14:15:40

You need something 'fit and flare' - so fitted on the top half, flaring out from the waist over your bum & tum. No bodycon, no shapeless shifts. On the top, a low neckline is definitely best - not too low so it shows loads of cleavage but a scoop neck or sweetheart neckline. Have you looked at Pepperberry (more for daytime dresses really).

FauxFox Thu 03-Oct-13 14:31:42

lady V is ideal for hourglasses and v. reasonably priced. Lots of party dresses too.

Definitely more on a "wrap" style or maybe something grecian or A-line

You want to emphasise the top half I think and show of your narrowest point (just under your boobs?) - that should make you look slimmer and cause a bit of a distraction from your tummy grin

AnythingNotEverything Thu 03-Oct-13 14:41:52

Your shape is similar to mine and I agree with the suggestion of a wrap dress. They often have a lovely, flattering gather across the waist which will disguise any wobbles.

M&S sometimes has a couple in nice prints, as do Monsoon. If the shape and pattern are right you can dress them up or down.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 03-Oct-13 14:43:01

Also, a fitted shift can be very flattering if you're curvy, particularly if you're tall.

MissDD1971 Thu 03-Oct-13 14:50:31

fit and flare - Warehouse had a great key hole at neck (small one) like this last year in a black and ecru print fabric. more a day dress but very flattering.

they may do same this year and if they do I'll link later if I find any.

Gingefringe Thu 03-Oct-13 16:39:09

I'm the same shape and size as you and have several of this Ingrid Style dress from Fat Face. Very easy to wear and look great with boots or leggings. They usually have a few different colours and designs each season.

Allinafankle Thu 03-Oct-13 19:21:10

Ooh loving those dresses FauxFox!

nomorebooze Thu 03-Oct-13 19:51:31

as a fellow hour glass 32h girl I was shocked to find 2 amazing miss selfridge dresses last year that fit amazingly!

similar to this

www.missselfridge.com/en/msuk/product/clothing-299047/dresses-299060/going-out-dresses-299154/embellished-skater-dress-2253400?refinements=category~%5b208038%7c208036%5d&bi=1&ps=40

Pinupgirl Thu 03-Oct-13 20:45:31

Yep I was also coming on to say Lady vintage,Collectif or Lindybop have stunning dresses for an hourglass.

dinkydoodah Thu 03-Oct-13 23:02:19

Wow thanks guys! Really appreciate your advice as I haven't a clue. I'll be off shopping soon and am so glad I now know what to look for and will not spend 8 hours trying on every dress in Debenhams then going home with nothing. Cheers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now