I need a dress for an event tomorrow night. Please help?

(22 Posts)
HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Thu 26-Sep-13 09:13:09

I've been invited to a party tomorrow evening with the dress code "something fabulous" which is pretty much meaningless to me and am in a bit of a panic about it. It's in a nice restaurant (private hire) and will be drinks/dinner/dancing but I think black-tie formal will be overkill. Nothing in my wardrobe either fits or is appropriate (I have lost a fair bit of weight recently) so I need something new.

I don't have a budget to speak of but would prefer it if I could buy something under £100 (though would go higher for something fab), I'd pay extra for amazing shoes but do have a cupboard full of them so may be able to recycle on that but I either need to be able to pick it up in London or get overnight delivery.

I'm a size 8 (sometimes 6) hourglass, need to wear a bra at all times though will do a strapless one and have short brown hair and average skintone, though have a bit of a tan at the moment, with strapmarks from my bikini on my back so a strapless frock is probably a bad idea.

Can anyone help me as I am clueless (and terminally unstylish)?

Thank you.

mintgreenchilli Thu 26-Sep-13 09:20:56

Fabulous = sparkly!

At least get something with a bit of sequin detail. TK Maxx does some outrageous cheap ones!

nomorebooze Thu 26-Sep-13 13:33:19

I take it you are going to a good highstreet today or tomorrow what about checking out French connection? what shops have you access to? not sure where to check out otherwise?

tethersend Thu 26-Sep-13 14:24:22

I'd advise against sequins, TBH!

How about something like this?

moondog Thu 26-Sep-13 14:27:42

Eh? Why?
If you can't rock a sequin or two when it specifies something 'fabulous' when can you?

moondog Thu 26-Sep-13 14:28:17

That's just a brown sack Tethers

Sparkles, damnit!

LeslieKnope Thu 26-Sep-13 14:44:56

Agree with moondog. That Michael Kors dress is Dullsville.

PoohBearsHole Thu 26-Sep-13 14:46:23

Have a look at hiring something - there are some great websites out there that you can hire for 2 days smile not sure of them but perhaps our friend google can help. They can also get things to you pronto!

LadyBigtoes Thu 26-Sep-13 15:23:28

I was admiring this sequin number the other day. I like it because it has a beautiful glamourous texture but is otherwise very plain and simple, you could wear with dark tights and many kinds of shoes/boots would work.

Obviously not v helpful budget-wise but it might give you some ideas.

tethersend Thu 26-Sep-13 16:32:58

Bollocks to you all and your sequinned horrors grin

To be fair, I do like some sequinned stuff, but the vast majority of things with sequins on available on the high street look like trashy middle-aged-Christmas-party fodder, and are pretty far from fabulous IMO.

The dress I linked to would look gorgeous on a size 6/8 figure. Mind you, so would most things grin

Ok, will look for something more glam. But not with bloody sequins on grin

FauxFox Thu 26-Sep-13 16:39:57
tethersend Thu 26-Sep-13 17:21:38

What about something like this with gold chandelier earrings and heels or This with black pointy suede heels if you want sparkly.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Thu 26-Sep-13 17:30:18

Thank you!

I'm not sure about sequins to be honest - I'm a bit concerned that I'd look like I was going to a civil service office Christmas party (have been to a lot) rather than somewhere fabulous.

Tethers - the brown one is a lovely shape, but the hem is odd and the colour seems a bit flat, not sure.

The sequinned one from all saints looks a bit shapeless - I think I would need to try on.

The HoF blue one is nice - may see if I can find it in store.

The black one really isn't me.

I like the first asos one but fear I've left it too late for delivery tomorrow.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Thu 26-Sep-13 17:46:15

I like the anglomania one but it's only in large - will see if I can find a smaller one once off my phone.

Twinklestein Thu 26-Sep-13 17:51:32

How about this OP, plain front, saucy back. With one of these type of 'statement' necklaces.

(Wtf is a 'statement' anyway...?)

CelticPromise Thu 26-Sep-13 18:00:12

Do you like a 50s style look? Vivien of Holloway dresses are fab and suit hourglasses, and their service at the shop is brilliant if you can get there.

Twinklestein Thu 26-Sep-13 18:03:10

www.girlmeetsdress.com has lots of designer dresses to hire.

They're in SW10 if you're in London.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Thu 26-Sep-13 18:40:27

I am in London so can get to girlmeetsdress.

I like the black one but I'm not sure about it being too safe. I hadn't even thought about going down a statement necklace route so that's definitely an option.

Love Vivien of Holloway dresses but always thought of them as more daytime. Off to browse website now.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Fri 27-Sep-13 15:09:26

So I did a little online order last night and also raided my wardrobe for the few bits that fit me and am still a bit stumped. Any advice on what I found?

These are from House of Fraser. The long sleeved one was called grey but is more of an ear de nil shade. I'm not sure if it's a bit grannyish. The others are the same dress in two colours.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Fri 27-Sep-13 15:11:30

These two are from my wardrobe. The blue one is a bit big so I've popped a belt on it. The long sleeved one is DH's preference but I think it's a bit daytime.

Does anyone have an opinion on which one I should go for? And some suggestions on how to dress it up. I'm so much more comfortable in jeans than at dressy-up occasions and am going to be around some very naturally stylish types.

Twinklestein Fri 27-Sep-13 15:36:08

The grey is a pretty dress, but it's a bit demure for 'fabulous'.
I think the next dress in the two different colours look too big for you & slightly swamp your frame.

I think the last two are best, given the 'fabulous' dress code I'd go for the leopard print. But I'd wear black shoes...

It's a really fun, funky dress, it shows off your figure & you will look fabulous...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now