How can I be fashionable...?

(11 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Mon 23-Sep-13 12:30:10

I'm always outdoors. I'm always out walking the dog, in the woods with the DC etc.

I'm always wearing crap clothes and an unflattering coat to keep warm and my hair is always frizzy.

Can you recommend some purchases that will make me not such a frump?

I need, warm and practical shoes, a warm coat and some warm clothes.

I'm 30, 5ft6" and a size 10.

Please help me not look like a crazy dog lady who dresses like someone twice her age!

SundaySimmons Mon 23-Sep-13 13:00:58

Have a look on ASOS

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Mon 23-Sep-13 13:05:08

First off tame the hair,you'll feel much better.I highly recommend a combination of a drop of frizz ease with a dollop of phil smith argan oil cream-that and 'plopping' has totally transformed my mass of curls leaving them frizz free smile

Skinheadmermaid Mon 23-Sep-13 13:49:36

Speaking as someone with an excitable dog theres not much you can do about looking that fashionable dog walking between october-march- the park is like a swamp!
You have a slim figure on your side though which will help.
Get some colourful wellingtons for the serious mud puddles, team them with skinny jeans or cords in a nice colour to avoid unflattering rutching of material.
Get a long coat in a colour that suits you, perhaps a parka.
Put on a bit of lippy, your face will look 'done' without too much effort.
Invest in some frizz taming products or a nice hat. smile
I can expand on any of these points but i didn't want to bore you.
You could also try a pretty dress with knee high boots as the dog hairs/mud will be mostly kept at bay and if you have a thick coat and cardi you shouldn't be too cold.

squoosh Mon 23-Sep-13 15:24:14

Definitely a big parka, skinnies and wellies.

oohdaddypig Mon 23-Sep-13 15:26:59

I could have written your post.

Shamefully bookmarking to steal ideas.

Are all polo necks in winter hideous? What to wear with the skinny jeans that's warm?!

newgirl Mon 23-Sep-13 15:28:19

Like sqoosh said plus a hat and scarf from say White company

I have a boden parka from about 3 yrs ago that has been excellent for dog walking- big pockets, warm, dry- and doesn't look like a mans coat (is plain navy, not a doden print). Might be worth a look?

bunnymother Mon 23-Sep-13 20:01:38

Polo necks are not hideous. At all. I love them. Scarves might also help you add a bit more interest to your outfit , too.

ShedWood Mon 23-Sep-13 22:10:04

Look at riding boots, rather than traditional wellies. As a size 10 I imagine you're slim of leg and these look good with skinny jeans or leggings, and give a much more flattering silhouette than regular boots IMO.

I think the scarf idea is a good one too, and perhaps a waterproof hat - I hear they're making a come back, though not sure I could pull off wearing one!

kiwik Mon 23-Sep-13 23:35:19

I walk my dog most days, and in winter wear an old barbour, wellies, skinny jeans and a big scarf.
If it's dry and we're not heading into the bush I wear old leather riding boots rather than wellies, as they're more comfortable for walking in.

I'd never really thought about wearing a dress or skirt for walking, but I try and go early morning, so just grab my jeans and go. I don't often see other people when out either, so never do my hair or make-up before going. It's my hour of peace before the chaos starts at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now