Do you have an actual 'Style'?

(38 Posts)
festered Sun 22-Sep-13 22:37:56

I'm just asking because I am getting a bit bothered with myself for not really having one.

I wear whatever I feel like wearing, I can be glammed up one day and the next I'll wear leggings and a hoodie, one day I'm all rock chick,skinny jeans etc the next I'll wear a girly dress and hat.

I buy clothes based on 'I like that I'll have it', I don't co-ordinate or think 'yeh that's my style'. I just wear whatever. Some women I know are so well put together with what they wear, always look great but always wear the same sort of things.
I also get a lot of hand-me-downs from friends because I love freebies and know people who love fashion and buy things , wear once or twice then have too many clothes and have a clearout-this may be one of the reasons I have so many different types of clothes. I don't know what suits me, body wise or personality wise, at all!

I know this isn't a big deal in any respect, I'm just curious!

Pinupgirl Tue 24-Sep-13 16:13:24

Ujayyi-my style before was still quite feminine I suppose-lots of tea dresses. I hate trousers/jeans-they just don't suit me. Lots of people compliment me on my clothes but no one seems to have commented on the vintage aspect!

vitaminC Tue 24-Sep-13 13:36:27

I think I have the opposite problem to you, OP - I only have one style and can't seem to "do" any other style without looking horrendous!

My style is city chic. I wear pencil skirts or smart, wide-legged trousers (very occasionally white jeans, but still quite smart), with a fitted top and a cropped jacket or soft cardigan, mainly in warm neutral colours. I also wear lots of shift dresses and occasionally wrap/bodycon dresses.

I have no idea how to dress down. My version of casual is the same outfits but with a denim jacket, ballet flats or low boots instead of killer heels, and with different accessories (floaty or colourful scarf instead of jewellery or silk hermès square, different belts...). I guess I do wear more colour overall when I'm trying to do casual, but that's about it.

When I do buy more casual clothes (e.g. recent attempt at coloured skinnies), I tend to wear them once, feel self-conscious and uncomfortable in them and end up giving them to my teenage daughters!

Seriously, on the rare occasion I wear jeans, I feel so scruffy I daren't leave the house! Although I did actually buy (and wear) a denim mini skirt this summer, but the overall look was still pretty smart! hmm

flipchart Tue 24-Sep-13 13:11:54

Unfortunately my day to day style doesn't match with what I am.

I am a 48 year old mum of teenagers who sometimes dresses like

1 a teenage skater boy T shirt, jean, vans and a beanie or

2 a mountain rescue person Rab jacket, Montane pants, Scarpa walking boots.
or
3 I've just finished surfing and in flip flops (ok they are leather) Qickysilver, Roxy and Billabong t shirts and Animal hoodies!

However when I have to glam it up a bit I'm ok
I have a selection of Vivienne Westwood, Whistles, Therapy and Karen Millen.

People are usually shocked when they see me glammed up for the first time with my hair done up, make up nicely applied and very high heels and expensive outfits.
It always makes me smile and I have to say that I'm not a scruff all the time!

Ujjayi Tue 24-Sep-13 13:06:27

Pin Up Girl - what was your style before? Have friends & family commented on the change?

Pinupgirl Tue 24-Sep-13 13:04:27

Yes-as suggested by my user name I like to wear retro/vintage style clothes so this means lots of 50's style dresses,tea dresses,seamed tights or stockings etc. I usually always have a flower or a clip or victory rolls in my hair too.

I have only been dressing like this for the past 2 years-was inspired by a couple of posters on mn.

50ShadesOfMaybe Tue 24-Sep-13 10:29:41

Love your outfits, fester!

I have to dress quite conservatively at work so tend to be more flamboyant out of work. I like biker jackets, DMs, shorts, funky tights, shiny skinny jeans, etc. I suppose a bit "rock chick" if I were to give it a name!

GrassIsntGreener Tue 24-Sep-13 06:04:34

I feel uncomfortable in anything that isn't rock chick or smart casual. Boring tbh.

Yes, in that I know what looks good on me. So, neat rather than floaty and unstructured. I like bright colours, and have a fab shoe collection. Slightly 50s influence- cinched waists and big skirts, a bit Audrey, especially when glammed up, and often described as "quirky".

Fuckitthatlldo Mon 23-Sep-13 21:07:56

Yes I'd say I have a particular style. It's not a terribly imaginative one but it's what I like.

I like classic clothes and would rather spend a lot on something timeless and great quality than buy lots of cheaper, high fashion things.

The vast majority of my wardrobe is grey, navy, black, and tan. There is the odd splash of teal, khaki, forest green, rust, and maroon but generally I'm not crazy about a lot of colour or pattern.

A typical days outfit would be slim legged black cotton trousers, a neutral (either grey or stone) coloured fitted scoop or v-neck cashmere sweater, a scarf in a contrasting neutral colour (maybe cream or a different tone of grey), and high heeled ankle boots. I always wear heels - I like the height advantage.

Make-up is neutral too - colourful eyeshadow and bright lipsticks just don't suit me. Jewellery is always simple - usually pearl studs and a nice watch, that's it. Sunglasses are rarely off my head unless the weather is ghastly. I don't care what anyone thinks - if it's bright I like them on, and if it's not so bright I like to use them to keep my hair out of my face.

Outerwear is usually a beige trench, unless it's really cold.

I like to think I look stylish, classic, and a little bit French. Unfortunately I think most would disagree grin. I recently went shopping with a friend and she was practically begging me to try on some colour and print as she "just wanted to cheer my look up a bit" grin

MarshaBrady Mon 23-Sep-13 20:32:52

Love it Bonsoir!

Bonsoir Mon 23-Sep-13 20:14:11

Yes, I do. Because I am quite old and have been buying clothes for my shape and size for a long time and know what suits me, and what I like.

I aspire to a particular sort of interwar Mittel European intellectual bourgeoise elegance, in a 2013 incarnation. I mostly fall wide of the mark, but I carry on trying... grin

MarshaBrady Mon 23-Sep-13 20:09:59

I like luxe / good designers but minimal effort.

I love the term artfully dishevelled and must remember to use it in the future grin

Skinheadmermaid Mon 23-Sep-13 20:01:51

I would like to swan about in retro dresses and heels but i just don't have the budget for it. and i can't walk in heels
I'd say my style is sort of grown up grunge, i live in checked shirts, graphic t shirts, skinny jeans, trainers or dms. I do have a few cute dresses that i love. My obvious tattoos and make up style give whatever i wear a bit of a rockabilly vibe.
That makes me sound scruffier then i actually am- i am artfully dishevelled!

bunnymother Mon 23-Sep-13 19:50:42

"Princess Anne crossed with Bet Lynch." Ha ha ha!

I am Nanna meets Cruella De Ville.

SundaySimmons Mon 23-Sep-13 18:57:32

Ujjayi, I agree, Laura Bailey looks different to everyone else but looks fantastic at the same time. Great individual style.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 23-Sep-13 18:10:52

Princess Anne crossed with Bet Lynch.

Bumblequeen Mon 23-Sep-13 17:54:26

I have a 'classic' boring look. I buy items that I can wear now and in two years time.

I would love to have different looks:
Bohemian chick
Rock girl
City girl
Casual chic

I do not spend enough on clothes to vary my look. I avoid very fashionable clothes as I cannot afford to replace them when they are no longer 'in'.

I see women that look like they have stepped out of a high fashion magazine and wonder how they do it.

Being in my late 30's I can just about cope with not being over stylish. If I were in my 20's I would probably feel crap.

Ujjayi Mon 23-Sep-13 17:42:13

I used to have a style identical to SundaySimmons' daughter 20 years ago.

I would say that my style is bohemian vintage (that sounds pretentious but I have no idea how else to describe it!). I used to wear a lot of 50s dresses & skirts. I still have them but tend to wear them with biker boots and a snuggly cardi rather than in a true "50s housewife" style. In the last year or so I have veered more towards 1930s and early 70s chic - think bias cut & Celia Birtwell rather than Slade grin

My style icon is Laura Bailey and I think my style resonates with hers.....although sadly not the figure nor the clothing budget!

festered Mon 23-Sep-13 17:41:31

Thank you for all the replies-interesting!

I kind of am looking to change, I wish I had a wardrobe that fit together more so didn't require much thought-and I wish I knew what I looked good in and what doesn't work-I have so many different things I wear that some must be totally wrong for me and some not!
I love bohemian styles and retro stuffs, I have a very boxy shape, not curvy at all no boobs/bum but I'm not skinny-so dresses tend to look a bit wrong, but I still wear them if I find one that fits well.
I mean, in the last week I went out on errands one day wearing a black suit and heels, one wearing leopard print hotpants, leggings,boots and a black bomber jacket, another day wearing a floaty leopard print dress and a black velvet hat, today went shopping in skinny jeans, thigh high boots and a long blue shirt....
In the past year my hair has been black, bright pink,variations of the both and now I'm blonde. lol. I love seeing people whose look is totally put together -even if It's very casual.
Maybe I need to get a stylist!
smile

lifesgreatquestions Mon 23-Sep-13 11:47:39

I have a style for work, but that's because I need to get dressed in 5 minutes so have to have a capsule wardrobe I can rely on. I keep meaning to do this for clothes outside of work as it is so easy! But OP, it doesn't sound like you are looking to change? It's great to be so flexible!

I've always had a slightly bohemian style. It started in the '70s and has been in and out of fashion but I have never really changed. Some time I am "with it" and some time I am dated. I care not a jot.

I am not very good at doing glamorous. I know how to put things together and can look good but I feel very self conscious and can't wait to dress down again.

QueenCadbury Mon 23-Sep-13 11:34:52

I'd say i have a classic/natural and minimal style. I prefer plain clothes and if patterned they tend to be subtle rather than in your face. My every day style is jeans, converse, blouse and cardigan. I try and be a bit more dressy and glam for nights out.

PoshPaula Mon 23-Sep-13 09:35:01

Wow I would love someone else to answer this question about me. I don't know anyone who I could ask (without feeling a bit daft). It's difficult to answer about yourself.

closetcat Mon 23-Sep-13 09:30:24

I aim for smart/put-together yet approachably casual - not very easy! I'm very opinionated on what suits and doesn't suit me which makes clothes shopping a nightmare. I have just bought a navy gilet and I love that look with jeans and a long-sleeve tee but no doubt everyone did it years ago and I'm behind the times. I don't like following fashion trends but I'm so excited that navy and burgundy are 'in' as they are my favourite colours.

I think I'm actually allergic to animal print - don't mind it on others but hate it on me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now