Err.... Sun-in success stories?

(36 Posts)
oohdaddypig Sun 22-Sep-13 14:38:14

Ok I'm not trying to relive my teen years, hear me out.

I have longish shiny medium brown hair. It's boring. I'm bored and want a lift!! I'm thinking my dark hair is quite aging...

Most of my family are allergic to hair dye - the PDP stuff and so I really don't want to start using these...

I've ordered sun-in super. Was planning on some DIY face framing highlights.

Any success stories?!

I'm a bit hard up for a professional hairdresser job btw.

SundaySimmons Mon 23-Sep-13 08:11:05

Here it is

ablogaboutfashionandbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/hair-garnier-highlighting-kit-review.html

I used it when it first came out. Great stuff, gave a natural look. I used it a few times but then for whatever reason (laziness) stopped using it.

Very easy to apply yourself.

SundaySimmons Mon 23-Sep-13 08:12:08

Ignore my posts, I should have paid more attention to you not wanting chemicals.

Sorry!

oohdaddypig Mon 23-Sep-13 14:16:42

Thanks to everyone who posted experiences, orange or otherwise grin

I think the lack of control with sun-in is the issue.

I've ordered something called hints of nature highlighting kit. £8....

Fingers crossed!

VerySmallSqueak Mon 23-Sep-13 14:23:12

Do you have a birthday soon?

As for a hairdressers trip to have highlights as a treat.

If you like it you can put money aside each week for retouches.

oohdaddypig Mon 23-Sep-13 14:27:41

Alas no, very. Not only am I cash poor, I'm also time poor. I just wouldn't manage to get the time to sit in the hairdressers for 2 (glorious) hours.

I have young DCs and work - I know this is not remotely unusual but I never get an afternoon to myself!

(Perhaps this why I feel I need highlights - I look old and tired hmm)

VerySmallSqueak Mon 23-Sep-13 14:32:15

Have to say I've considered some goldeny subtle highlights round the face (I am dark brown) in the hope it'll disguise the few greys I thought I was happy with but actually am not.

I can't bear the whole hairdressers experience and can't justify the amount of money,so let us know if your highlights kit is any good!

Hope it goes well - will a friend help you or do you think you can do it yourself?

oohdaddypig Mon 23-Sep-13 14:34:56

Will do, very. The Daniel field kit gets good reviews online too.

What is your natural colour?

I'm just going to do it myself!

VerySmallSqueak Mon 23-Sep-13 14:37:55

I am what I would describe as chocolate brown.

I love my natural colour and it has pretty reddish lights in it so I'm reluctant to do a block colour and lose it.Also I have long thick hair and would need a bucketload of dye.

I look forward to hearing how it goes and if it's do-able yourself!

oohdaddypig Mon 23-Sep-13 14:46:21

Sounds like our hair is similar! I'm bored of mine but it has fewer reddish highlights than yours by the sound of it. And mine isn't very thick either. You sound like Kate middleton <jealous>

Gawd I sound vain and self obsessed grin I'm not remotely so, usually, I just feel like I need a lift.

VerySmallSqueak Mon 23-Sep-13 14:52:45

I look nowt like our Kate but my hair is very similar I suppose.

You don't sound vain . Go for it smile

fiorentina Mon 23-Sep-13 16:27:00

Orange as in not very attractive orange. It was a mistake for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now