Err.... Sun-in success stories?

(36 Posts)
oohdaddypig Sun 22-Sep-13 14:38:14

Ok I'm not trying to relive my teen years, hear me out.

I have longish shiny medium brown hair. It's boring. I'm bored and want a lift!! I'm thinking my dark hair is quite aging...

Most of my family are allergic to hair dye - the PDP stuff and so I really don't want to start using these...

I've ordered sun-in super. Was planning on some DIY face framing highlights.

Any success stories?!

I'm a bit hard up for a professional hairdresser job btw.

nowwhat Sun 22-Sep-13 14:49:44

I used it on and off for years but tbh don't think it makes a massive difference so finally stopped bothering. Lemon juice works as well but dries your hair out. You could go to a salon and see what they say? They will do a patch test for you if you're worried about being allergic. A different cut might help too?

nowwhat Sun 22-Sep-13 14:50:09

Oh just noticed your last line, could look on groupon or similar sites for when deals come up?

Fuzzysnout Sun 22-Sep-13 14:59:21

I used it for years in my younger days & liked the look. It does damage your hair quite badly over time though. I then did a wash in brunette dye & the whole thing turned pink as it washed out! Still looked cool though ...

oohdaddypig Sun 22-Sep-13 15:35:46

Thanks, fuzzy and now! Now, did you use the normal one or super one?

Any more experiences?!

littlemissnormal Sun 22-Sep-13 15:40:11

I used to use it all of the time on my mousey brown hair about 15 years ago confused

I never had any problems with it damaging my hair.

NomDeClavier Sun 22-Sep-13 15:42:32

I used to use it too - no problems at all, apart from trying to only spray the bits I wanted to highlight!

oohdaddypig Sun 22-Sep-13 15:53:18

Mm true nomdeclavier. Not sure i want all over lighter...

Do you just use it once or does it need a few goes...

I feel sun in must be due a comeback... Cheap and relatively chemical free.... (Hope I don't live to regret saying this grin)

Ujjayi Sun 22-Sep-13 17:53:13

If you don't get the shade you want with the Sun In then you could try John Frieda "Go Blonder" shampoo & conditioner to lighten it further. I use it when my highlights begin to lose their cool blonde tone. It has lemon balm & other natural lighteners

dustyhousewithdustypeople Sun 22-Sep-13 18:48:42

I really liked it, haven't used it for a while though. My hair turns quite blond in the sun so sun in seemed to suit it. It didn't seem to damage it at all, and I used it for a few years. It's quite subtle, so you can redo until it looks how you want it.

17leftfeet Sun 22-Sep-13 18:53:41

My brown hair turned bright orange with sun in

Don't do it!!!!

PractialJoke Sun 22-Sep-13 19:11:59

I've been using this shampoo this summer and my hair is definitely a couple of shades lighter, looks sunkissed and is in really good condition.

oohdaddypig Sun 22-Sep-13 22:17:26

Thanks for all responses. Like the idea of a lightening shampoo but my hair I'd really quite dark.... Hoping to avoid any orange with the super stuff grin

17leftfeet Sun 22-Sep-13 22:19:38

I used the super stuff

Orange!

fiorentina Sun 22-Sep-13 22:22:43

It turned my brown hair orange. Not a good look!!

oohdaddypig Sun 22-Sep-13 22:33:04

Mmmm. Orange as in orangina or auburn-kind-of-ok?!

<worried>

nowwhat Sun 22-Sep-13 22:37:59

it never made my hair orange but my hairs dark blonde anyway so maybe thats why. You can always dye it with a home kit to cover it if it goes orange.

I bleached all my hair once. At home. That went orange <helpful>

oohdaddypig Sun 22-Sep-13 22:40:39

Maybe the orange is a real risk on dark hair.

Would orange be so bad? I have quite a serious boring job so looking like a tangerine might not be good.

<self obsessed>

17leftfeet Sun 22-Sep-13 22:47:27

Carrot orange

TSSDNCOP Sun 22-Sep-13 22:49:40

Don't do it.

Just don't.

Elsiequadrille Sun 22-Sep-13 22:58:13

I had no idea they still made the stuff! A friend of mine (many years ago it was), with dark brown hair, tried it. She just got weird orange patches, I don't think even the super is that strong, at least it wasn't for her.

I wouldn't bother. Go to the hairdresser for highlights or similar!

LegArmpits Sun 22-Sep-13 23:09:10

Hahahaha. Nope. Unless you like the straw look.

ShreddedHoops Mon 23-Sep-13 00:12:24

Don't do it! Dig out a yellow pages and call every hairdresser within a reachable radius and ask if they have a trainee who needs to do highlights. It'll cost £25 max with a trainee and might even be free, and they'll be fully supervised. If you just have a few scattered through the front and top (called a t-section) then regrowth won't be bad at all so you could get away with having it done maybe just a couple of times a year. Please don't do it at home, I would bet £££ on it being a total disaster, plus anything that lightens your hair has the potential to really damage it permanently so it's always worth paying to go lighter.

SundaySimmons Mon 23-Sep-13 08:06:21

It just made my hair go like straw,

What about those little kits where you comb in highlights or low lowlights? Not seen them for a while but saw them in one of the pound shops recently.

Garnier, I think made them?

glastocat Mon 23-Sep-13 08:09:45

It used to work brilliantly for me, I even did a hair show once with the hairdresser going nuts when she realised what I was bleaching my hair with! But if your hair is brown figs don't do it, you will go orange and not in a good way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now