MN Vogue - volume 22

(1000 Posts)
shopafrolic Fri 20-Sep-13 08:20:52

A happy and safe place to talk fashion (from high end to high street), beauty and the arts. All welcome to bring a positive state of mind, lots of links and an eye for detail.
Continuing on from here

I don't like seeing freebies on celebs, I'd prefer if they actually bought things then you know they are wearing them because they like them not just because they've been given it free so they have to be seen in it IYKWIM?

santamarianovella Wed 02-Oct-13 11:10:33

sorry for the atrocious spelling mistakes!

mignonette Wed 02-Oct-13 11:14:34

I cannot bear Olivia Palermo. She dresses from top to toe in whatever she has been 'gifted'. Every outfit is so carefully put together you just know she has taken two hours to dress, uses the input of stylists and PA's and photographs herself from every angle before leaving the house. Nothing spontaneous or truly creative about her at all.

santamarianovella Wed 02-Oct-13 11:40:16

mig,im glad to find someone not drooling over Olivia!, i find more stylish women in the streets of london or paris,with real creativity,

i understand the need to use celebs or bloggers as a mean to showcase certain products and its a very clever and virtually cheap way of advertising,but i think it has gotten out of hand recently, would love to read the true verdicts,instead of all the glowing reports,
one day i would love to read in a blog about ,i dont know say the plexiglass chanel clutch,how the blogger was gifted this piece of 5k lego crap, and its not worth the hype! grin.

MarshaBrady Wed 02-Oct-13 11:45:41

Yep I'm the same on Olivia P. Not my thing really. But maybe because she is so glossy and I am not!

Mig I think you are different to Alexa Chung. Less closed or something, a bit freer. Go wild with it, I think you have your own thing going on.

mignonette Wed 02-Oct-13 11:52:56

There is a backlash re the cluttering up of London fashion week by bloggers photographing everything that moves. They are tightening up on accreditation for press passes. I am very cynical about any blog that always gives glowing reports and isn't absolutely transparent about the relationship between its advertisers and itself. I know the fashion press can be suck up but equally fashion journalists like Andre Leon Talley make it very clear when they do not like a collection but they have the credibility to make such judgements.

Fashion journalists for the big press organisations are virtually fashion and culture historians anyway. Listen to somebody like Hamish Bowles who is so learned whereas I think a lot of fashion bloggers are really shopping bloggers. And no shame being that either.

I know somebody who had the misfortune of 'working' with Ms Palermo. Basically it was 'Olivia comes to head office and chooses clothes' but Ms P presented it as some kind of curating/editing masterpiece of discernment. She was an absolute cow according to friend and all her colleagues- arsey, arrogant and very typical of the less talented. Basically it seems that the more the talent, the less self righteous and self justifying the person.

mignonette Wed 02-Oct-13 11:53:54

Thank you Marsha. I'm not as 'edited' as her and I don't take hours to dress myself!

santamarianovella Wed 02-Oct-13 11:58:36

marsha i like your style,very minimal , with a bit of luxe grunginess grin

MarshaBrady Wed 02-Oct-13 12:06:33

Thanks Santa grin I need the neatness of Celine etc to give boundaries to my messiness. It's like my haircuts I have a small window in which to operate, or is it a fine line to tread? One of those things! Can't go either way too much.

Love your style too, very Marant + Celine unleashed. Not sure if that's how to say it, but I can picture it!

Actually I'm getting to know all or your styles, pin really helps.

MarshaBrady Wed 02-Oct-13 12:42:00

I like this angora sweater I know it makes some feel itchy at the thought! But need to get paid before I blow £120 on a sweater. That feels like fp to me anyway. Clearance I&I prices feel much better and closer to what they should be on there.

I could scream, I really could. My psychiatrist has left and now I have to see a new one. This will be the fifth doctor in less than five years and I'm fed up of having to go over and over everything every time I get a new doctor. angry

MrsMcGregor Wed 02-Oct-13 12:56:05

Delurking just for a few minutes! Grumpy, I ordered that jumper a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. It is lovely but I'm not sure about sizing - am a 10 and ordered S .... there's a lot of room at the back! Do you find it true to size ... wonder whether I have just order too large a size? Thanks. And yes, it is indeed lovely. I've bought a couple of,things recommended by the All Worn Out ladies and have been very happy with my purchases!

QueenCadbury Wed 02-Oct-13 12:56:43

mig from what I know of you, you dress nothing like alexa. I agree, the whole celeb thing has got out of hand and I never understand when these 'stars' top best dressed lists when they are styled within an inch of their life. I always bang on about her but that's why I love Kate moss. She always seems to stay true to herself and her style and sometimes looks a real mess but at least isn't afraid of being papped that way. I like some of Olivia's looks but they are all so different that you just know she hasn't created them herself.

With regards to magazines fawning over catwalk shows etc, I read an interview with someone ages ago (can't remember who) who basically said that if you don't say nice things about them then they don't advertise with your magazine and therefore no revenue. These mags seem to rely heavily on advertising and I'm always wary of and of the 'miracle' beauty products that they write about. I've become such a cynical old mare grin.

mig you're right, yesterday's grazia was awful. It literally took me seconds to flick through. Even the articles piss me off now like that man last week who was happy because his wife had lost her job and therefore earning less than him confused.

QueenCadbury Wed 02-Oct-13 13:00:58

Whilst I'm ranting about celebs,I just don't understand the relationship between KK and Tisci here. Does he honestly think that anyone looks at that dress and thinks what a great designer he is? Or is it just about any publicity being good?

MarshaBrady Wed 02-Oct-13 13:02:53

You know who I love. Isabel Marant. I saw a shot of her finishing the show on pin, she looked very happy. I agree with you Mig the more talent you have the more likely you won't be an massive pita to everyone around you!

MarshaBrady Wed 02-Oct-13 13:04:33

I've never heard of him QueenC, is it his label in his name?

Yikes at the dress.

mignonette Wed 02-Oct-13 13:08:32

I agree about La Moss Queen. She is absolutely and resolutely herself.

RE Vogue/Harpers and the other high end magazines, they have to feature the clothing of their advertisers in their editorial. Designers like Alaia who never advertise are rarely featured (plus Alaia doesn't do cyclical seasonal fashion). Their advertisers who pay the most will always get their clothing on the covers.

RE KK, If I was a man that outfit would be enough to turn me gay. Yuck to an over abundance of naked tits and ass. Must be an example of all publicity not being good publicity surely. And it would seem that KK's idea of high fashion is to leave the eyeliner at home? Did Kanye West kidnap Tisci and design that himself? Seems like the no taste-bad taste stuff he'd think would look good.

carrie74 Wed 02-Oct-13 13:11:12

Hello

V quick post to say I'm so sorry but won't be able to come to the MU next Saturday. Unfortunately have had a last minute call to London this weekend, and can't justify 2 weeks on the trot, but hopefully can make it next time. sad

Have had v little time to post, but am trying to read when and where I can, although only ever reading the last 2 pages of the thread makes things a bit dis-jointed.

Anyway, I love Olivia Palermo's looks, I'd love to look and dress like her. Sod it if over-styled, gimme that hair grin. She always seemed like a total cow on that show she did (?"The City" or something?).

Aw, what a shame carrie hopefully you'll be able to make it next time though

LinusDKD Wed 02-Oct-13 14:02:02

I have to say I feel a bit sorry for KK. She's only just given birth and would probably rather still be at home in her jogging bottoms than trussed up in some designer dress. I blame Kanye! wink

And I agree with carrie I also like the way O. Palermo is dressed and I would kill for her hair but it is probably true that she spends 2 hours getting ready with an army of stylists and hair and make-up people.

Poor one! I think it is shocking the way you are being treated.

foxysocks Wed 02-Oct-13 14:06:10

hi everyone. am living in madness. there is dirt everywhere! DS in in toddler heaven, has been digging outside with the 'mans' for an hour and has learned the fabulous trick of dunking biscuits in tea. so cute.

i LOVE that starry sweater but i think it may be too short for me at 5'9? haven't bought anything for ages and am feeling v uninspired to do so. weird.

wearing orange MNV cashmere today, over grey j crew vest and diesel ripped slouchy jeans. navy converse. love a bit of navy and orange.

linus it's not just me, this is unfortunately the way the mental health services work now. I'm meant to have my medication reviewed every three months minimum, plus have blood tests every three months because of the meds I take but it doesn't normally get done for at least six months because there's not enough doctors or appointments for everyone who needs the service. They changed how the services here are accessed and it's absolutely disgraceful how it's been done. I have to travel for over an hour to get to where I see the doctor even though there's another clinic half the distance from me but I'm not allowed to go there because I don't have the particular set of illness that the closer clinic now treats.

santamarianovella Wed 02-Oct-13 14:19:31

linus i admit i watch keeping up with the Ks,and in one episode they showed kanye going through kim's wardrobe and binning lots of her clothes and shoes,he wants her to dress in a certain style,but dear god its hideous!

foxy grin, your ds sounds so cute

MarshaBrady Wed 02-Oct-13 14:32:42

Foxy that is so sweet! My two love builders and plumbers and all that. The three year old watches for ages, loves it!

My DS used to love any workmen who came to the house, especially those that had anything to do with the phoneline/internet. He'd just stand watching them and asking them to show him how it all worked. I did used to mention that he had additional needs due to being autistic and every single one of them took the time to explain things to him which i thought was really kind of them especially as it usually added a good 15-20 minutes to their work in the house!

This thread is not accepting new messages.